The Student Room Group

Notifying universities that I'm dropping a course

I'm dropping a fourth AS level (maths) that I decided to take up alongside my other three A levels because I thought it would help me with economics at university but it's predominantly pure maths (eg quadratics) which isn't too useful/helpful to me. I also don't want to drop a grade in another subject by spreading myself too thinly.

I've applied to PPE/Politics and Economics at Warwick, Surrey, Loughborough, Essex and Oxford. Neither require maths (except for an A in GCSE maths), I'm predicted A*AA and I've done a related EPQ. Oxford is the only one that says maths AS/A is very useful but they are going to reject me anyway because it's Oxford.

Is it likely that any of them will withdraw their offer or reject my application because of this?

UPDATE: Loughborough and Oxford have acknowledged my email and Loughborough has not changed my offer.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by HoldThisL
I'm dropping a fourth AS level (maths) that I decided to take up alongside my other three A levels because I thought it would help me with economics at university but it's predominantly pure maths (eg quadratics) which isn't too useful/helpful to me. I also don't want to drop a grade in another subject by spreading myself too thinly.

I've applied to PPE/Politics and Economics at Warwick, Surrey, Loughborough, Essex and Oxford. Neither require maths (except for an A in GCSE maths), I'm predicted A*AA and I've done a related EPQ. Oxford is the only one that says maths AS/A is very useful but they are going to reject me anyway because it's Oxford.

Is it likely that any of them will withdraw their offer or reject my application because of this?
If you've submitted your application then I believe (Not an expert) that you should be able to update this information on track.

Your universities will make decisions based on what you have as your qualifications at that point in time. I think it's better for you to make the change on track now if you haven't already, if you wait for offers they will then be reconsidered again.

I would be surprised if you're rejected based in this change alone
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
If you've submitted your application then I believe (Not an expert) that you should be able to update this information on track.

Your universities will make decisions based on what you have as your qualifications at that point in time. I think it's better for you to make the change on track now if you haven't already, if you wait for offers they will then be reconsidered again.

Okay that sounds good, thanks.

I've only had 2 offers out of 4 I'm expecting so hopefully if I get on to it soon it'll go smoothly.
Original post by 04MR17

Original post by HoldThisL
Okay that sounds good, thanks.

I've only had 2 offers out of 4 I'm expecting so hopefully if I get on to it soon it'll go smoothly.

You need to contact all the UNis and also email [email protected] to get your record updated, it can not be done on track.

MR:FYI for future cases
Original post by DreamlinerFinder
You need to contact all the UNis and also email [email protected] to get your record updated, it can not be done on track.

MR:FYI for future cases
Ah okay. I knew contact details and stuff were on track but didn't realise this wasn't the same for qualifications. Thanks.:yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending