The Student Room Group

What political party do you support and why?

Scroll to see replies

Conservative - Labour have some nice ideas but they get us into debt every time they come into power because they can't fund their ideas. At least the Tories are realistic
I supported the Lib Dems because they said they would abolish or at least freeze tuition fees and VAT, they lied and also got us involved in Iraq 2.0 aka libya where black africans are now subject to inhumane treatment.

Supported Ed Miliband as he promised to reduce fees to 6k and tackle monopolies in media and energy, he didnt win because of split left wing vote in Scotland and many ex lib dem voters voting for other protest parties or pro market liberals voting conservative.

Didnt vote for Jeremy Corbyn as felt his policies were too heavy on state intervention and some policies just seemed punitive and his aggressive minimum wage policy was bad for employment. When it looked like a massive tory majority, voted for my moderate labour MP to ensure some level of check and balance in parliament
Original post by hannah00
I supported the Lib Dems because they said they would abolish or at least freeze tuition fees and VAT, they lied and also got us involved in Iraq 2.0 aka libya where black africans are now subject to inhumane treatment.

Supported Ed Miliband as he promised to reduce fees to 6k and tackle monopolies in media and energy, he didnt win because of split left wing vote in Scotland and many ex lib dem voters voting for other protest parties or pro market liberals voting conservative.

Didnt vote for Jeremy Corbyn as felt his policies were too heavy on state intervention and some policies just seemed punitive and his aggressive minimum wage policy was bad for employment. When it looked like a massive tory majority, voted for my moderate labour MP to ensure some level of check and balance in parliament

Sooo, you learned your lesson, which is not to believe that left-wing politicians will deliver everything they promise, because they won't (with regards to tuition fees). Corbyn still has support solely because of all the ****ing promises he's made, with no stable way of paying for them.
Original post by Chaz254
Sooo, you learned your lesson, which is not to believe that left-wing politicians will deliver everything they promise, because they won't (with regards to tuition fees). Corbyn still has support solely because of all the ****ing promises he's made, with no stable way of paying for them.

Well funded public services are vital for a humane and civilised society. Failure of politicians to uphold such values doesnt mean I no longer believe in such services should be provided by the state.

The tories also provided massive bribes in the form of triple lock and they lied to students about EMA and froze the repayment threshold.

Tuition fees probably cant be cut to 0, but if other european countries can have them close to 0 so can the UK. I think universities should be limited in spaces they can offer, a formula that takes into account how many grads find graduate employment.

I think the tories have deregulated the sector too much.
Original post by Reue
Conservative, because I make decent money and would like to keep a majority of it.

I thought you said you were public sector...
Original post by Ensorcell
Conservative - Labour have some nice ideas but they get us into debt every time they come into power because they can't fund their ideas. At least the Tories are realistic

The Tories have added an enormous amount to our debts since 2010.
Original post by Bornblue
The Tories have added an enormous amount to our debts since 2010.

But the economy has grown during that period and we are the 5th biggest economy in the world. **** knows where we would end up with Labour in charge.
Original post by Chaz254
But the economy has grown during that period and we are the 5th biggest economy in the world. **** knows where we would end up with Labour in charge.

Hardly
Original post by Kayleighm18
Are you labour, tory, libdem etc? And why

Tory.

I believe in lower tax and spend, i believe in the market over government and most importantly in current political epoch, i cannot tolerate the thought of Corbyn being PM, he'd utterly molest our nation.
I'm surprised how right wing this place is, compared to the general student and young adult population.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by JamesN88
They're not though, their policies are geared towards free-trade and low tax/low spend.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/politics/665530/nigel-farage-im-the-only-politician-keeping-the-flame-of-thatcherism-alive/

OK. But I'd rather vote for any UKIP leader than a deluded old twit who supports open borders. They instigated Brexit and to me that was a glorious thing. Next let's leave the Commonwealth :yy:
I'm surprised how right wing this place is, compared to the general student and young adult population.

Because it's a forum, where people can voice their opinions freely and flexibly without being scared of offending a friend or family member. That's what I think holds a lot of people back personally I don't give a **** I just say what I think. As for "young people" it's nauseating how it's portrayed as cool to be left wing these days - sheeple are people.
Original post by Danny the Geezer
Because it's a forum, where people can voice their opinions freely and flexibly without being scared of offending a friend or family member. That's what I think holds a lot of people back personally I don't give a **** I just say what I think. As for "young people" it's nauseating how it's portrayed as cool to be left wing these days - sheeple are people.

I never said they can't. Just statistically, the 18-25 category vote overwhelmingly Labour yet on here there seems to be more on the right than the left.

I'd argue the reverse, people seem to think its cool to be young and right wing.
I never said they can't. Just statistically, the 18-25 category vote overwhelmingly Labour yet on here there seems to be more on the right than the left.

I'd argue the reverse, people seem to think its cool to be young and right wing.

Because Corbyn tried to tap into their psyche by going to Glastonbury and proclaiming himself as the new God of grime etc, and also promising the tuition fee abolition (which he was never ever going to afford).

He lost the election, nevertheless, because older, possibly more wiser people saw through it. Yes, he did get a large proportion of the youth vote but he marketed himself (ultimately, unsuccessfully) towards this votergroup.
Because Corbyn tried to tap into their psyche by going to Glastonbury and proclaiming himself as the new God of grime etc, and also promising the tuition fee abolition (which he was never ever going to afford).

He lost the election, nevertheless, because older, possibly more wiser people saw through it. Yes, he did get a large proportion of the youth vote but he marketed himself (ultimately, unsuccessfully) towards this votergroup.

Well, he's put the Labour party in a good position to win the next election. The 2015 result was so bad, that it was likely going to take any Labour leader two elections to turn it around.

In many seats which Labour didn't win, they have significantly cut the Tory majority and many seats which were reasonably safe Tory seats are now marginals.

Two ministers have resigned in the last couple of weeks and the tories have a leader with no control of her party. Then you factor in the absolute mess they are making of Brexit, and Labour is well placed.
Well, he's put the Labour party in a good position to win the next election. The 2015 result was so bad, that it was likely going to take any Labour leader two elections to turn it around.

In many seats which Labour didn't win, they have significantly cut the Tory majority and many seats which were reasonably safe Tory seats are now marginals.

Two ministers have resigned in the last couple of weeks and the tories have a leader with no control of her party. Then you factor in the absolute mess they are making of Brexit, and Labour is well placed.

OK he has, partly because May is bad leader - but it depends on his manifesto - and I wouldn't vote for Labour until he steps down either way (he'll be dead in 10 years anyway).

They're not making a mess of Brexit, not as much as you'd believe. It's a two way thing with lots of tense and complex negotiations, it has to be, and will be, delivered and I think the Conservative party will move on from it stronger, probably without May.
Reply 36
I thought you said you were public sector...

The only time I have ever worked in the public sector was at the age of 16 as a lifeguard down the local council pool.
OK he has, partly because May is bad leader - but it depends on his manifesto - and I wouldn't vote for Labour until he steps down either way (he'll be dead in 10 years anyway).

They're not making a mess of Brexit, not as much as you'd believe. It's a two way thing with lots of tense and complex negotiations, it has to be, and will be, delivered and I think the Conservative party will move on from it stronger, probably without May.

We're likely to fall out without any deal or without any other trade deals lined up.

Lol this is such bs. Older people are wiser because they didn't vote Labour? Well the majority of young people must be very very wise because they rejected austerity, a weak and wobbly govt. propped up by DUP, a campaign focused on Brexit and NOTHING else (look at their 2017 manifesto, it offered nothing worth voting for), which by the way, is a joke, seeing as the PM wanted to remain in the EU.

It was recently announced that interest rates would be put up for the first time in years, inflation also up time and time again, meanwhile wages are not improving. What does this mean? The cost of living is becoming more and more un-affordable every single day. We've seen U-turns left, right and centre (dementia tax), the chancellor tried to break a manifesto PLEDGE (something you should never, ever EVER do) by raising NI contributions for self-employed workers.

But broken promises are nothing new with the Conservatives, are they? Just to refresh you, the Tories promised to match Labour spending in 2007 if they were elected. What happened after Cameron, like the snake he is, saw Obama's success with blaming the global banking crisis (yes, BANKING crisis, not "Labour" crisis, but I'm sure you're smarter than most voters sadly were in 2010) and therefore adopted the same policy of blaming the opposition for something they didn't cause. Following on from this, we've seen a promise not to increase VAT, yet 1 year after election (2011) VAT was increased to 20%. A promise to clear the deficit after the first parliament (2015), which was broken.

If this wasn't enough, let's talk corruption. There is political deadlock at Stormont, so the Tories are now making decisions for Northern Ireland from Westminster, which might I remind you, is working with the DUP. Therefore the DUP effectively has a say in how Northern Ireland is governed, while Sin Feinn don't - despite neither party having a majority.

And more recently, two cabinet minsters resigning for corruption.

Thank god younger people were smart.
(edited 6 years ago)
Labour because I believe in social equality and opportunity for all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending