The Student Room Group

Improving the Chat section!

Hey everyone!

We're looking at making some improvements to the Chat section to make it the best it can possibly be for everyone. That work has already started - you might have noticed Chat is looking a little... different today. :hmmm: That's because we have changed the structure of the TSR Community forums to make them easier to access and to use. We've gone ahead and made Chat the top-level forum and we've done away with the 'TSR Community' name. You're looking at the brand-new Chat section of TSR! :woo:

Spoiler

But it doesn't stop there. We really want to make sure that everyone is getting the most out of Chat and we're keen to hear your thoughts about the section as it is currently and what we can do to make it better. No matter what your thoughts are, we'd love to hear them! We want to make a positive difference and for that, we need to know what you guys - the people that use Chat most - would like to see.

Chat is an important part of TSR, it's here to let you guys let your hair down and to have a laugh and a chit-chat - but we've noticed that some of you guys aren't using it as often as you used to. Let's get a discussion going on the direction we need to take chat for you guys to get the most out of it and feel it's a fun and useful place for people to hang out and get to know each other.

We're happy to chat about any ideas you may have and we're really keen for feedback - so please don't be afraid to tell us what you think and we can take it from there.

The Chat team

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

chat seems to work fine... not sure why people are not using it so much ?

:dontknow:
Original post by the bear
chat seems to work fine... not sure why people are not using it so much ?

:dontknow:

Thanks for your feedback :smile: we're keen to find out to see if there's something we can do to improve that!
Personally I feel the chat on the app could be improved if the pages where a bit longer because they're pretty short.
Original post by Future-Barista
Personally I feel the chat on the app could be improved if the pages where a bit longer because they're pretty short.

I'm gonna make sure this goes to app feedback as well. This is definitely something that has been brought up before by a number of people, I'll make sure it gets looked into. Thank you for your feedback :h:
I'm looking forward to this experiment.:beard:
Reply 6
Chat wasn't doing all that bad imo. wasn't really at the bottom of the page or something. People were finding the forum ok in terms of location on the site.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by mr tim
Chat wasn't doing all that bad imo. wasn't really at the bottom of the page or something. People were finding the forum ok in terms of location on the site.

Spoiler

Just tagging in @BlinkyBill so she can see this too. It's really good to get a different perspective on finding things, because most of the time us in ST have bookmarks and watched forums anyway so I understand it's different for newer users. Thanks for the feedback! I do agree with your point about having Help and Announcements at the bottom of the forums list, actually
Reply 8
Really minor thing but are these bugs?

Also the top of the forum games subforum says you're in chat->chat.
Original post by Notnek

As far as I know, it's meant to be like that - but I'll tag in @BlinkyBill so she can see what you mean. I've noticed it too :smile:
Original post by Paracosm
Hey everyone!

We're looking at making some improvements to the Chat section to make it the best it can possibly be for everyone. That work has already started - you might have noticed Chat is looking a little... different today. :hmmm: That's because we have changed the structure of the TSR Community forums to make them easier to access and to use. We've gone ahead and made Chat the top-level forum and we've done away with the 'TSR Community' name. You're looking at the brand-new Chat section of TSR! :woo:

Spoiler

But it doesn't stop there. We really want to make sure that everyone is getting the most out of Chat and we're keen to hear your thoughts about the section as it is currently and what we can do to make it better. No matter what your thoughts are, we'd love to hear them! We want to make a positive difference and for that, we need to know what you guys - the people that use Chat most - would like to see.

Chat is an important part of TSR, it's here to let you guys let your hair down and to have a laugh and a chit-chat - but we've noticed that some of you guys aren't using it as often as you used to. Let's get a discussion going on the direction we need to take chat for you guys to get the most out of it and feel it's a fun and useful place for people to hang out and get to know each other.

We're happy to chat about any ideas you may have and we're really keen for feedback - so please don't be afraid to tell us what you think and we can take it from there.

The Chat team

Spoiler

Hi, I would love to know the stats on girls Vs boys members i think the site needs to be more Female Friendly just sayin cheers
Original post by xterrykx
Hi, I would love to know the stats on girls Vs boys members i think the site needs to be more Female Friendly just sayin cheers
:hi: I know I'm not really responsible for anything in this section, but this is on my long list of things to do. The GvB stats are woefully outdated in the OP and the girls won very very comfortably on the last thread which has only just finished. Could I ask what you mean by the site being more female friendly?:curious:
Original post by mr tim

Spoiler

This is awesome feedback - thank you! The place for Help and Announcements is a bit tricky, because we want it to be easy to access, but also nice and easy for everyone to see the other more conversation-focused forums. We're thinking about putting in some links to it in the side widgets in particular forums. What do you think? Is there anywhere else you think it'd be helpful to link from?

Original post by Notnek

As far as I know, it's meant to be like that - but I'll tag in @BlinkyBill so she can see what you mean. I've noticed it too :smile:

Yeahhhhhh that's a little quirk in the way the forums are structured. It's just because of the way it had to be set up, it presents a bit strangely. We're still looking into that. Thank you for flagging it with us though! :h:

(FYI @Captain Jack)
Hey everyone!

Spoiler

The Chat team

Spoiler

Let there be a delete button for threads, and replies.
Original post by blitterflicker
Let there be a delete button for threads, and replies.

Hey there! You can delete your own posts by pressing edit and then delete. We know you can't delete threads right now, that's is a technical limitation here on TSR. :frown:
We've gone from having a chat forum (in the form of general discussion), to the TSR forum, to Community and now back to Chat.

I've been on this site for too long ...
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
> Improving the Chat section

You shouldn't try to "improve" the cancer, you should try to find a cure for it.

I appreciate if you have strong thoughts, but rather than comments like this (which aren't helpful to us, we really are trying to make this a better place), could you provide some constructive insight instead? We'd appreciate anything you have to say about it.

As an idea, could you do a "featured in Chat" thread, where you highlight any interesting topics/content that occurs each week?
Original post by xterrykx

Original post by 04MR17
:hi: I know I'm not really responsible for anything in this section, but this is on my long list of things to do. The GvB stats are woefully outdated in the OP and the girls won very very comfortably on the last thread which has only just finished. Could I ask what you mean by the site being more female friendly?:curious:

Overall, slightly more women visit TSR than men but it's pretty much equal.
Original post by Slowbro93
As an idea, could you do a "featured in Chat" thread, where you highlight any interesting topics/content that occurs each week?

Definitely something we could look into, thanks for contributing!

Quick Reply

Latest