The Student Room Group

My friend has been sexually assaulted what can I do?

I have recently become friends with this girl who has a very timid character, she has recently opened up to be about the above. The person who carried out the attack goes to my school and is an Afghanistani boy who claims to be under 16 when he looks like an 18-year-old man. The girl has told the school about it and they have given her mentoring sessions, but the boy who had carried out the attack still goes to my school. I never had an issue with the guy until today, when he found the girl and basically cornered her near some locker, I stayed present because as a male as well it can intimidate him, the guy wanted me to leave but I refused to, he tried to get someone in his year group to get me to go but they took one look at me and said hell no. He eventually went away, but was harassing the girl for pics (nudes on snapchat), for me today was the last straw and I really need some advice on who to go to in my school. Should I go to the learning and welfare officer, or straight to the headteacher (whom I have strong connections with).
Report him to the school and if not, get the police involved. This ****er needs to be deal with. Can't believe the school isn't handling this more seriously since this is actually serious and mentoring doesn't work when the person doing this isn't being questioned and dealt with.
Reply 2
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
Report him to the school and if not, get the police involved. This ****er needs to be deal with. Can't believe the school isn't handling this more seriously since this is actually serious and mentoring doesn't work when the person doing this isn't being questioned and dealt with.

Thank you :smile: the girl said all the school were going to do was make a record of this account and if he does it again he will be reported
Original post by aarnat
Thank you :smile: the girl said all the school were going to do was make a record of this account and if he does it again he will be reported

Yeah, that's a bit ****ed. This isn't oh he hit her, take a note. It is sexual harassment which isn't a crime so I understand but if did touch her and stuff, then she needs to report it herself because that can be treated as a crime.
If the school won't do anything useful themselves then call the police. Scum like him need to be locked up.
Go to police and speak to them she will be able to get the correct support and the police will make the school move him in order for her safety I was in a similar situation awhile ago and the boys friend actually told the police rather then me and I’m glad they did as it was honestly the best thing that could possible have happened as I got the support I needed and I’m much happier now. I know it is hard at the time but it will get better with the right support.
Reply 6
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
Yeah, that's a bit ****ed. This isn't oh he hit her, take a note. It is sexual harassment which isn't a crime so I understand but if did touch her and stuff, then she needs to report it herself because that can be treated as a crime.

He attempted to basically have sex with her
If she has been sexually assaulted and school have not acted( they are required to by law) then you should go with your friend to the police. You are a witness to the intimidation at the very least. This person needs dealing with. They should also investigate his age....
Try to persuade her to tell her parents.
If you want to report it to school then go straight to the top. Headteacher. Be firm but calm and tell them what’s happened. Also firmly tell them you intend to go straight to the police from their office if it’s not dealt with. You really should go to the police anyway
Carry on being a good friend. She needs you. Good luck
Agreed. Take crime to the police.
Reply 9
Original post by Hannah220601
Go to police and speak to them she will be able to get the correct support and the police will make the school move him in order for her safety I was in a similar situation awhile ago and the boys friend actually told the police rather then me and I’m glad they did as it was honestly the best thing that could possible have happened as I got the support I needed and I’m much happier now. I know it is hard at the time but it will get better with the right support.

I will definitely, I am going to do it with her because I need all the correct information, since she has not told me the full details but vaguely outlined it
Reply 10
Original post by Sammylou40
If she has been sexually assaulted and school have not acted( they are required to by law) then you should go with your friend to the police. You are a witness to the intimidation at the very least. This person needs dealing with. They should also investigate his age....
Try to persuade her to tell her parents.
If you want to report it to school then go straight to the top. Headteacher. Be firm but calm and tell them what’s happened. Also firmly tell them you intend to go straight to the police from their office if it’s not dealt with. You really should go to the police anyway
Carry on being a good friend. She needs you. Good luck

Thank you, I think I might do this option since my school already has poor publicity
Original post by aarnat
I have recently become friends with this girl who has a very timid character, she has recently opened up to be about the above. The person who carried out the attack goes to my school and is an Afghanistani boy who claims to be under 16 when he looks like an 18-year-old man. The girl has told the school about it and they have given her mentoring sessions, but the boy who had carried out the attack still goes to my school. I never had an issue with the guy until today, when he found the girl and basically cornered her near some locker, I stayed present because as a male as well it can intimidate him, the guy wanted me to leave but I refused to, he tried to get someone in his year group to get me to go but they took one look at me and said hell no. He eventually went away, but was harassing the girl for pics (nudes on snapchat), for me today was the last straw and I really need some advice on who to go to in my school. Should I go to the learning and welfare officer, or straight to the headteacher (whom I have strong connections with).

This girl reported this guy for sexual assault and he still goes to the school? What a ****ing injustice. Get the police involved.
Tbh, always just go to the police. School ways to often sweep **** like this under the rug.
Just a point but you should think about the way you're treating this - it is not 'I'm gonna do this'. This is her life and her experience. You should support her an offer to go to the police etc and act as a witness if necessary but it is her choice.

What happened to her if the school are doing nothing?

You should continue what you're doing with looking out for her and protecting her, that's a really nice thing. And definitely encourage her to report anything which happens.
Original post by doodle_333
Just a point but you should think about the way you're treating this - it is not 'I'm gonna do this'. This is her life and her experience. You should support her an offer to go to the police etc and act as a witness if necessary but it is her choice.

What happened to her if the school are doing nothing?

You should continue what you're doing with looking out for her and protecting her, that's a really nice thing. And definitely encourage her to report anything which happens.

I would recommend getting either an audio recording or (better yet) a video recording (with a 'pen-cam' or similar device) of the perp carrying out this behaviour. Pen-cams are available fairly inexpensively - ask your 'techie' friends, perhaps someone already has one. Practice ahead of time with people you can trust, to ensure that the audio and video will be clear and understandable. Get him on record behaving this way, then make copies of the recordings. Locate them with people you can trust (several copies). THEN, tell the 'head' that you are going to the police with the material, and furnish him/her with a copy if you are so inclined (on DvD or similar). Never let anyone other than yourself handle the 'original' recording. They are easy to destroy. Once you spring a recording on them, they will be 'forewarned' and not vulnerable to such recordings in the future.

The recording eliminates the 'he said... she said' aspects of the problem. If you have relatives out of town, consider mailing them a DvD copy of the material to hold for you. If you fail to get any satisfaction from the police - there is always the 'media'. You have to consider that since he is a 'blessed minority' the 'halo factor' will come into play, and he will be initially be held to be 'blameless'. This is the initial approach to all these things in that society. [I speak of this after 3 years of living there, so i'm NOT 'blowing smoke'. I know what i'm talking about.] Best of luck!!
Original post by Rabbit2
I would recommend getting either an audio recording or (better yet) a video recording (with a 'pen-cam' or similar device) of the perp carrying out this behaviour. Pen-cams are available fairly inexpensively - ask your 'techie' friends, perhaps someone already has one. Practice ahead of time with people you can trust, to ensure that the audio and video will be clear and understandable. Get him on record behaving this way, then make copies of the recordings. Locate them with people you can trust (several copies). THEN, tell the 'head' that you are going to the police with the material, and furnish him/her with a copy if you are so inclined (on DvD or similar). Never let anyone other than yourself handle the 'original' recording. They are easy to destroy. Once you spring a recording on them, they will be 'forewarned' and not vulnerable to such recordings in the future.

The recording eliminates the 'he said... she said' aspects of the problem. If you have relatives out of town, consider mailing them a DvD copy of the material to hold for you. If you fail to get any satisfaction from the police - there is always the 'media'. You have to consider that since he is a 'blessed minority' the 'halo factor' will come into play, and he will be initially be held to be 'blameless'. This is the initial approach to all these things in that society. [I speak of this after 3 years of living there, so i'm NOT 'blowing smoke'. I know what i'm talking about.] Best of luck!!

this thread is a year old and I'm not the OP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending