The Student Room Group

Pre dental/ Gateway to Dentistry 2018 Dundee

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alanna35
Aw well done 👍🏻 wat was your UKCAT

Thank you! Sorry to hear you didn’t get in this year, and it was 2500 odd - kind of thrown it to the back of my mind after doing it
Original post by WestKanye2016
any of you guys heard anything yet? I heard there's only 4 people doing pre-dental this year at Dundee

only 4? it is really hard to get into or just not popular?
Well done 👍🏻, what time did u get it?

16th Jan 2.30
They're very selective with who they take in, Dentistry at Dundee is ranked very highly and they don't want people on the predental course to be not taking it seriously and dragging the uni's reputation down. I've applied and got an interview, 16th January:smile:
Original post by Sheikhbrumie99
I am!!!
I have applied for Birmingham Bristol Newcastle Dundee-Gateway and Birmingham- Dental Hygiene

Congrats for getting an interview!! I am in year 12 and took no science a levels and want to go into dentistry (I know bad choice) it’s because of my GCSE grade for science (B) which is why I wasn’t allowed to do it for a level so I was wondering what did u do and get for a levels and GCSEs and if taking a chemistry fast track course a good idea I’m stuck for ideas but it’s my parents wish and I want to make them proud 😩 :frown:
Original post by helpmepasspls
Congrats for getting an interview!! I am in year 12 and took no science a levels and want to go into dentistry (I know bad choice) it’s because of my GCSE grade for science (B) which is why I wasn’t allowed to do it for a level so I was wondering what did u do and get for a levels and GCSEs and if taking a chemistry fast track course a good idea I’m stuck for ideas but it’s my parents wish and I want to make them proud 😩 :frown:

If you do not want to dentistry yourself I wouldn’t recommend it because it requires passion and is very difficulty get through ( ESPECIALLY THE UKCAT!!!)
I am science based so applied for normal dentistry but I applied for gateway at Dundee as I have some personal mitigating circumstances. I got 10 As for GCSE and an predicted AAA Chem Bio Maths.... If you have any questions just let me know.

P.S : One of my friends was in the same boat as you and he wanted to do Dentistry. He got 705 in the UKCAT and was predicted A*AA but was rejected. When he asked for the reason they said they would want an A at GCSE as he hadn’t taken it for A Levels... I would recommend you check all entry requirements for the Gateway programs and if you are unable to get in with that B in science I would recommend to join another college that allows you in with a B. (There are some).

Also what are your stats? Breakdown of GCSEs and also did you do Triple science? If yes what was the breakdown for that?
If you do not want to dentistry yourself I wouldn’t recommend it because it requires passion and is very difficulty get through ( ESPECIALLY THE UKCAT!!!)
I am science based so applied for normal dentistry but I applied for gateway at Dundee as I have some personal mitigating circumstances. I got 10 As for GCSE and an predicted AAA Chem Bio Maths.... If you have any questions just let me know.

P.S : One of my friends was in the same boat as you and he wanted to do Dentistry. He got 705 in the UKCAT and was predicted A*AA but was rejected. When he asked for the reason they said they would want an A at GCSE as he hadn’t taken it for A Levels... I would recommend you check all entry requirements for the Gateway programs and if you are unable to get in with that B in science I would recommend to join another college that allows you in with a B. (There are some).

Also what are your stats? Breakdown of GCSEs and also did you do Triple science? If yes what was the breakdown for that?

Well from the beginning I was interested in doing something science based but as this sixth form was the closest to me I stayed there but they only accepted B for chemistry so I took applied science thinking atleast I’m doing something with science. At GCSEs I got
Maths: 5
English language: 8
English Lit: 6
Chemistry: B
Biology: B
Physics: C
French: C
Business: C
IT: D*
And I didn’t do triple science only double and for my a levels in year 12 currently doing Business studies, history English and applied science.
Also for your friend who was in the same boat as me what is he doing right now as he was rejected?
And I know this may sound dumb but I have no clue what UKCAT is and how to find out my number for that??? Pls help :frown:
Well from the beginning I was interested in doing something science based but as this sixth form was the closest to me I stayed there but they only accepted B for chemistry so I took applied science thinking atleast I’m doing something with science. At GCSEs I got
And I didn’t do triple science only double and for my a levels in year 12 currently doing Business studies, history English and applied science.
Also for your friend who was in the same boat as me what is he doing right now as he was rejected?
And I know this may sound dumb but I have no clue what UKCAT is and how to find out my number for that??? Pls help :frown:

Ok... I know that universities don’t accept applied science as its a btec, however, I’m also not sure if you can apply for the gateway/ foundation years programs as you are technically doing a science.( I would recommend checking the entry criteria at Dundee, Manchester and Cardiff)

I have had 2 friends who were rejected. One managed to get in foundation medicine ( its easier to get into than Dentistry), the other one is now becoming an Actuary.

The UKCAT is a clinical aptitude test you must sit to apply to medicine or dentistry. You book it and take it at the end of year 12. It is sat on a computer in the same place where theory tests take place. It is very difficult and the results are produced instantly. There is no point in applying if you get bellow a 600 score, however, the average is usually 630. I got 655.

If you give me 10 mins I can check if you can apply with your given GCSEs.
Reply 28

I was in the same situation as you last year and it is absolutely possible to get in to dentistry but you MUST do EXCELLENT in the UKCAT, that was what had damaged my application despite all the work with a levels, a 2 hour test.
But you must want it for yourself, parents pushing you into a career is not good.

ALSO note there are 2 places for non-science and 3 for science from what I have gathered.
Ok... I know that universities don’t accept applied science as its a btec, however, I’m also not sure if you can apply for the gateway/ foundation years programs as you are technically doing a science.( I would recommend checking the entry criteria at Dundee, Manchester and Cardiff)

I have had 2 friends who were rejected. One managed to get in foundation medicine ( its easier to get into than Dentistry), the other one is now becoming an Actuary.

The UKCAT is a clinical aptitude test you must sit to apply to medicine or dentistry. You book it and take it at the end of year 12. It is sat on a computer in the same place where theory tests take place. It is very difficult and the results are produced instantly. There is no point in applying if you get bellow a 600 score, however, the average is usually 630. I got 655.

If you give me 10 mins I can check if you can apply with your given GCSEs.

Thank you so much for your help I looked into actuary and i would need maths a level which I have not done. As for the university’s I live in London but I really don’t mind applying to Manchester as I have family there but I don’t think I would be able to apply any further such as Cardiff
I was in the same situation as you last year and it is absolutely possible to get in to dentistry but you MUST do EXCELLENT in the UKCAT, that was what had damaged my application despite all the work with a levels, a 2 hour test.
But you must want it for yourself, parents pushing you into a career is not good.

ALSO note there are 2 places for non-science and 3 for science from what I have gathered.

U said You were in the same place as me last year does that mean u didn’t do any science a levels and was it really hard to revise for the UKCAT

Dundee don’t look at GCSEs so if you are predicted AAA at the end of year 12 and have a good UKCAT score you can apply there.

Manchester want 6 As/7s at GCSE to include science and they are not lenient in this matter.

Cardiff also want As for science at GCSEs.

Unfortunately resits are not looked at for Dentistry.

May I recommend you take the UKCAT in the summer, if you do well you can apply for gateway at Dundee and possibly some foundation years for medicine. If not, Dentistry is not the only profession out there, there is also Dental hygiene and therapy and dental technician along with dental nursing. Also, if you have the funds available you can do Dentistry in Europe ( Bulgaria. Hungary or Romania) - However you can’t get student loans for this at they would take over 7 years as you have to do a years work in their country and then do a years conversion course.
Another good if you are very passionate about Dentistry is to do a Dental hygiene or nurse undergraduate and then do a Dental Postgraduate after the degree( this is 8 years though!!!)

Please let me know what you think about the given choices... there are many more. :smile:
Reply 32
U said You were in the same place as me last year does that mean u didn’t do any science a levels and was it really hard to revise for the UKCAT

I was able to do one science a level and I was very unsure if I should go ahead with the UKCAT so I ended up booking it a few days after results day so I could cancel it if I didn’t get high enough AS grades (which where off by a grade until I got a remark) so I was very unsure but took 2 days to prepare and went for it. I got the higher grade in the remark and did alright in the UKCAT, but unfortunately not good enough.
Dundee don’t look at GCSEs so if you are predicted AAA at the end of year 12 and have a good UKCAT score you can apply there.

Manchester want 6 As/7s at GCSE to include science and they are not lenient in this matter.

Cardiff also want As for science at GCSEs.

Unfortunately resits are not looked at for Dentistry.

May I recommend you take the UKCAT in the summer, if you do well you can apply for gateway at Dundee and possibly some foundation years for medicine. If not, Dentistry is not the only profession out there, there is also Dental hygiene and therapy and dental technician along with dental nursing. Also, if you have the funds available you can do Dentistry in Europe ( Bulgaria. Hungary or Romania) - However you can’t get student loans for this at they would take over 7 years as you have to do a years work in their country and then do a years conversion course.
Another good if you are very passionate about Dentistry is to do a Dental hygiene or nurse undergraduate and then do a Dental Postgraduate after the degree( this is 8 years though!!!)

Please let me know what you think about the given choices... there are many more. :smile:

I don’t mind how many years it takes as long as I do well and become something good 😂 just wondering I looked into the dental hygiene course and saw it was a diploma not a degree and if I do that and then a post graduate would I be qualified dentist?
I was able to do one science a level and I was very unsure if I should go ahead with the UKCAT so I ended up booking it a few days after results day so I could cancel it if I didn’t get high enough AS grades (which where off by a grade until I got a remark) so I was very unsure but took 2 days to prepare and went for it. I got the higher grade in the remark and did alright in the UKCAT, but unfortunately not good enough.

Which science a level did you do and what did u get in your UKCAT and that, if it wasn’t good enough what are u currently doing now
I don’t mind how many years it takes as long as I do well and become something good 😂 just wondering I looked into the dental hygiene course and saw it was a diploma not a degree and if I do that and then a post graduate would I be qualified dentist?

Yes, however, you must do a Dental Hygiene and Therapy Degree to be more likely to get a place. I know Birmingham do it... also if you were to do the UKCAT, no go to dundee for gateway for any reason and then do dental hygiene. It’s not 100% you will be accepted for Dentistry and also you would be required to take the UKCAT again as the score is only valid for one year.
Reply 36
Which science a level did you do and what did u get in your UKCAT and that, if it wasn’t good enough what are u currently doing now

I’m doing biology and at the start of the AS year I was predicted a D.
My UKCAT was 2450 (someone got an interview with 2500). My personal statement was unique as There are no examples for this course, however this has meant I was unable to show my interest in my other options. I have got offers for law, biology and biomedical science
(edited 6 years ago)
I’m doing biology and at the start of the AS year I was predicted a D.
My UKCAT was 2450 (someone got an interview with 2500). My personal statement was unique as There are no examples for this course, however this has meant I was unable to show my interest in my other options. I have got offers for law, biology and biomedical science

So what are u currently planning to do? what jobs can u do with biomedical science
Yes, however, you must do a Dental Hygiene and Therapy Degree to be more likely to get a place. I know Birmingham do it... also if you were to do the UKCAT, no go to dundee for gateway for any reason and then do dental hygiene. It’s not 100% you will be accepted for Dentistry and also you would be required to take the UKCAT again as the score is only valid for one year.

If I do the dental hygiene and therapy degree what job would that give me instead of being a proper dentist
If I do the dental hygiene and therapy degree what job would that give me instead of being a proper dentist

A dental hygienist job

Quick Reply

Latest