The Student Room Group

Why is science compulsory?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snake_God
Science is safe.

What I want to know is why English Lit is compulsory. It is the crappest subject ever! How does Scrooge being a bloody mizer have anything to do with my life. I have never known why English Lit is compulsory. It means nothing to me. I detest it!

I'd agree I think we should only focus on the writing part of English not on pointless novels. This education system sucks
Reply 41
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
Hi,

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on science. This may be a little bit biased, as I hate science, but I've always wondered why it's compulsory.

I personally think that it's pointless as the topics covered will bear no resemblance to problems I face in real life. I know, for scientists, that it would, but I have already chosen my A Levels and know what I will be doing for the next few years.

Also, you may say that it's to give you an all round education, however art subjects aren't forced, and either are languages at some schools.

I am aware that compulsory science only goes up to GCSE, however I am sure that universities will still look at my science grades, despite it being unrelated to my course of study.

Please give your opinion, as I am up to discussion and debate. :biggrin:

Of course science must be compulsory. Science is the language and explanation of the world. If science wasn't compulsory people wouldn't learn anything and would go back to illogical and generally ridiculous ideas such as religious explanations of the world around them, instead of using hard evidence. Science is compulsory to stop our civilization going backwards. I don't like French as a subject, but I still see why its important.
Original post by Zoqua
Of course science must be compulsory. Science is the language and explanation of the world. If science wasn't compulsory people wouldn't learn anything and would go back to illogical and generally ridiculous ideas such as religious explanations of the world around them, instead of using hard evidence. Science is compulsory to stop our civilization going backwards. I don't like French as a subject, but I still see why its important.

I made this thread when I was a depressed GCSE student almost two years ago, don't worry my opinion has changed :tongue:
Original post by denianomeri
I'd agree I think we should only focus on the writing part of English not on pointless novels. This education system sucks

It's not about the book subject, it's about learning how to read something, analysing the content and making sense of it - including the linguistic idiosyncrasies and inferences not immediately explicit.

The fact that it is removed from your everyday experience, is the whole point of the exercise because it forces you to take unfamiliar subject matter apart and understand it.

This is a critical thinking skill needed for any number of careers and life in general and something you will come up against time and again throughout your life:

Everything from contracts to complex instructions, journalism to political manifestoes, language translation to song lyrics, dissertations to historical archives........
(edited 6 years ago)
I haven’t read the whole thread so i apologise if this has already been mentioned, but if you look at it from the governments point of view, modern day Britain needs more people in the STEM field, not more historians or linguists (etc). The government want to encourage people to go into science because there are more jobs there, and the jobs that are there are arguably pushing society forwards the most right now. I can see how for someone who adamantly dislikes science this must be frustrating, but it’s designed to give the people who are unsure about their future more time to decide if they like science, rather than dropping it early and never finding out they’re good at it.
Original post by redacrylic
I haven’t read the whole thread so i apologise if this has already been mentioned, but if you look at it from the governments point of view, modern day Britain needs more people in the STEM field, not more historians or linguists (etc).

Britain is in need of a high number of linguists.
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
Britain is in need of a high number of linguists.

It is? I wasn’t aware of that. Surely there are more people doing language degrees than there are jobs in language?
Original post by TheConfusedMedic
Why is English Literature compulsory? I highly doubt that I will need to analyse Macbeth's speech in Act 1 Scene 7 at any point in my future life.

Lmao so true haha
personally i think only maths related to money or economics should really be taught as that has the most implications within our lives
Original post by username3492436

tbh i agree
Original post by TheReviewer
tbh i agree

Hate to say this but it’s a 5 year old thread, and it got temporarily revived 3 years ago…
Original post by 0ptics
Hate to say this but it’s a 5 year old thread, and it got temporarily revived 3 years ago…

ye Ik

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending