The Student Room Group

Life is pointless

I'm a 17 year old boy in my second year of sixth form, and am currently going through an existential crisis. im revising for my A2s, but i really feel down. i mean whats the point. im going to die one day. even if i do leave a legacy,humanity will become extinct and the universe will eventually end. there really is no point for my existence. politics,money,cars,big houses, all worthless. can anyone help me get over this depression, as its currently taken over my life.

Scroll to see replies

No advice but I relate.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a 17 year old boy in my second year of sixth form, and am currently going through an existential crisis. im revising for my A2s, but i really feel down. i mean whats the point. im going to die one day. even if i do leave a legacy,humanity will become extinct and the universe will eventually end. there really is no point for my existence. politics,money,cars,big houses, all worthless. can anyone help me get over this depression, as its currently taken over my life.

It sounds as if you're suffering from evolution syndrome.
there's always the option of sooner rather than later , i vote for later so in the mean while lets enjoy life by enjoying all the **** u can do when living , and you do that by getting money , and you get money by getting a degree/job/apprenticeship and you can get a degree by smashing ur a-levels
Reply 4
This is a crisis that hits me every now and then.. still haven’t found the answers but all the pieces I’ve found so far just say to enjoy your time and help others enjoy theirs

Money, cars and big houses aren’t the answers at all, they can mean everything or they can mean nothing, it all comes down to how you earnt it. Did you earn it by being a banker, with grey hairs, stress levels through the roof, at a job you get no satisfaction from? Or did you earn it all doing what you love, makes you happy and leaves you feeling fulfilled?
(edited 6 years ago)
Your premises may be true, but they don't imply your conclusions. So what if you will die? So what if the universe ends? If anything, the fact life is scarce adds to its value. It's up to you to decide how you will spend your life, and what is important to you. The criteria you determine are abitrary yes, but once you decide upon principles and live up to them your life will feel meaningful. The lack of a clear objective meaning to life gives you the freedom to do as wish. My two major principles are to be content with life, and to make the biggest positive impact on the well-being of conscious creatures as I can. If you can't figure out your own, try mine out - they've worked for me and my life feels meaningful.
Life's not about leaving a legacy. It's about enjoying yourself, loving people and being the best version of yourself you can. Maximise it.
I've faced the same problem.:yes:

My personal solution is that humanity is living longer and longer, I reckon that one day science may be able to crack immortality, or something like it, in the far future.

I'd rather stay alive and contribute to a society which one day achieves that.:redface:
Reply 8
Original post by whoisme
Life's not about leaving a legacy. It's about enjoying yourself, loving people and being the best version of yourself you can. Maximise it.

I don't think it's fair to tell someone what life is about. We all have to find our own destiny.
Reply 9
Original post by 04MR17
I've faced the same problem.:yes:

My personal solution is that humanity is living longer and longer, I reckon that one day science may be able to crack immortality, or something like it, in the far future.

I'd rather stay alive and contribute to a society which one day achieves that.:redface:

what happens when the universe ends
Reply 10
I mean I do feel like that sometimes too as I’m in the literal same predicament. Private msg?

The technological singularity is estimated to happen in the 2040's, that it when AI will surpass human intelligence and cause exponential progress in science/medicine - perhaps to the extent where immortality or at least a currently unachievable lifespan is feasible. The thing that drives me to work hard is that I want to be at the forefront of this, helping it to become a possibility. It is highly ambitious but a necessary ambition to tackle all the doubts that I have.
Same

I have been feeling this strongly. However, does life have to have a point? Most of us make no difference whatever to how the world is. Could one not see life as a gift of fate or chance - against all the odds, it is you who exist. We must find joy in simply being alive! The outside world is not within your control, but the inside of you is, and you can search for peace. Hope this helps a little bit. :smile:
Original post by _princessxox
Same

@faloodeh loves to b*tch about you :colone:
Reply 15
7d16CpWp-ok
Smile
It's good for you
@faloodeh loves to b*tch about you :colone:

What??

I go through the same thing everyday and I easily lose motivation to go to college (1st year Alevel).
But what keeps me going is the fact that am not sure when am going to die so I need to prepare for my future

We're here without choice, we're going to die, inevitable, so make it a pleasant life until that final day.

:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending