The Student Room Group

Dating my former teacher?

This teacher only taught me for about 3 months during the first year of sixth form and I've met him again a year and a half after finishing sixth form. He lives in the same area as me in a different block of flats. We bumped into each other about 2 months ago and he recognised my face but didn't remember my name and we just had a normal conversation about how we've both been. I didn't really think too much about it at this point until we were both invited to the same wedding (about 3 weeks ago) and I found out he was friends with my sister's now husband. So we got talking at the wedding and we got on really well. We exchanged numbers after and I thought this was as friends.

The main point of this story is that a couple of days ago he told me that he's "kind of had feelings" for me and couldn't "stop thinking about me since the wedding". On the one hand I was thrilled and screaming on the inside with joy since I do remember all the girls at sixth form had a crush on him but on the other hand I feel like this could be super awkward. I really like him but I can't help but think about possible judgement from others. And if I did start dating him, its not like I'm breaking any rules, right?

The age difference isn't that bad since he's only 6 years older (I'm 20 and he's turning 26 later in the year).

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Because I feel like either way its awkward. And if anyone wants to know any thing else, just ask.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
This teacher only taught me for about 3 months during the first year of sixth form and I've met him again a year and a half after finishing sixth form. He lives in the same area as me in a different block of flats. We bumped into each other about 2 months ago and he recognised my face but didn't remember my name and we just had a normal conversation about how we've both been. I didn't really think too much about it at this point until we were both invited to the same wedding (about 3 weeks ago) and I found out he was friends with my sister's now husband. So we got talking at the wedding and we got on really well. We exchanged numbers after and I thought this was as friends.

The main point of this story is that a couple of days ago he told me that he's "kind of had feelings" for me and couldn't "stop thinking about me since the wedding". On the one hand I was thrilled and screaming on the inside with joy since I do remember all the girls at sixth form had a crush on him but on the other hand I feel like this could be super awkward. I really like him but I can't help but think about possible judgement from others. And if I did start dating him, its not like I'm breaking any rules, right?

The age difference isn't that bad since he's only 6 years older (I'm 20 and he's turning 26 later in the year).

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Because I feel like either way its awkward. And if anyone wants to know any thing else, just ask.

Just ask the French president....

I don't actually think it's breaking any law.
(edited 6 years ago)
There's nothing wrong with it. It probably feels awkward because you knew as a teacher. But you are both adults so it don't think of it from a sixth former's girl perspective, think of it from an adult who is just dating a teacher who happened to teach them at some point.

If it makes you feel any better, the president of France, Macron dated his language teacher and is married to her. I think she's 10 years older than him.
Reply 3
Original post by Blue_Cow
Just ask the French president....

I don't actually think it's breaking any law.

Looool. But seriously, what should I do?
Lol, fifty shades of weird.
Bit odd that's your old teacher, hence the other guy's reference to Macron (i was thinking of the little britain sketch when a teacher married his pupil). But 6 year's isn't too bad. I'd say if you want to try then try it. See if you have a connection. It sounds that you both like each other and socially speaking 6 years isn't the worst age gap that's out there.
I'd say it's okay, it wasn't like he held feelings for you while he was your teacher, your age difference isn't that big. He wasn't really a teacher for you for long either. You dont even need to say that he used to be your teacher, just mention him being met at the wedding. Definitely a coincidence though.
If you like him, and make sure you like him and aren't just going for it of course, there's really nothing weird about it at all. You'd only be breaking rules if he was still your teacher in sixth form (maybe, i'm not entirely sure but it is frowned upon in school) but no laws are being broken and no school rules are being broken if he's still a teacher.
So honestly, you're completely fine. I don't think many people would judge you and if they did then they aren't really worth it. If you feel like you like him and are safe with dating him I'd say do what you want but there's no real problem to it.
Reply 7
Original post by 1Dudette4Ever
There's nothing wrong with it. It probably feels awkward because you knew as a teacher. But you are both adults so it don't think of it from a sixth former's girl perspective, think of it from an adult who is just dating a teacher who happened to teach them at some point.

If it makes you feel any better, the president of France, Macron dated his language teacher and is married to her. I think she's 10 years older than him.

Thanks for your advice. That's a better way of thinking about it. I think I'm gonna go for it then because we have so much in common and get on really well.
Looool. But seriously, what should I do?

Go for it! There's absolutely nothing wrong with what you're doing :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by matwillis
Bit odd that's your old teacher, hence the other guy's reference to Macron (i was thinking of the little britain sketch when a teacher married his pupil). But 6 year's isn't too bad. I'd say if you want to try then try it. See if you have a connection. It sounds that you both like each other and socially speaking 6 years isn't the worst age gap that's out there.

Very true, that's why I was saying it could be awkward. But I think I'll see how it goes then. Thanks for replying.
Reply 10
Well, are you interested in him? Get to know him a bit more if you are, make sure he's not looking for a fling (unless you're into that who knows haha) and why worry about what others say? It's what you feel that should be most important to you :smile:
Very true, that's why I was saying it could be awkward. But I think I'll see how it goes then. Thanks for replying.

Anytime, thanks for repping.
I'd say it's okay, it wasn't like he held feelings for you while he was your teacher, your age difference isn't that big. He wasn't really a teacher for you for long either. You dont even need to say that he used to be your teacher, just mention him being met at the wedding. Definitely a coincidence though.
If you like him, and make sure you like him and aren't just going for it of course, there's really nothing weird about it at all. You'd only be breaking rules if he was still your teacher in sixth form (maybe, i'm not entirely sure but it is frowned upon in school) but no laws are being broken and no school rules are being broken if he's still a teacher.
So honestly, you're completely fine. I don't think many people would judge you and if they did then they aren't really worth it. If you feel like you like him and are safe with dating him I'd say do what you want but there's no real problem to it.

I know its a coincidence but my whole life is just made up of awkward situations.

I really do like him and I think I'll go for it.

Thanks for your reply.
Original post by SwanQueen
Go for it! There's absolutely nothing wrong with what you're doing :smile:

Thanks
Original post by shivvs
Well, are you interested in him? Get to know him a bit more if you are, make sure he's not looking for a fling (unless you're into that who knows haha) and why worry about what others say? It's what you feel that should be most important to you :smile:

Yeah I am interested in him and idk if he seems like that type of guy lol.
Thanks for your advice!

I don't see anything wrong with it, if you are both happy.
I think you should see and go on dates and stuff.
I think you should see and go on dates and stuff.

Yeah I will and see how it goes. Thanks.
We exchanged numbers after and I thought this was as friends.

The main point of this story is that a couple of days ago he told me that he's "kind of had feelings" for me and couldn't "stop thinking about me since the wedding". On the one hand I was thrilled and screaming on the inside with joy since I do remember all the girls at sixth form had a crush on him

"exchanged numbers and thought of this as friends " LOL obvious he wants to bang you.and has done since u were in sixth form

u were thrilled since "all the girls at sixth form had a crush on him" ok well that's a great reason for u to like him cos other girls at sixth form do lol.

U want to bang him also so u can do that. U don't need to worry about other peoples judgement they will only know if u can't help bragging to the other girls that liked him.
There's no rules but TBH if he fancies an ex student I'd be worried it will happen again. You're only a year older than his oldest students... if he's prepared to cross this line I'd be really concerned about whether he'd cross another line in the future when you're older. It's weird. And you literally said you want to date him ecause all your school friends fancied him, is this really going to be equal?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending