The Student Room Group

Will Universities Overlook My Past Circumstances?

Hi, I am 24 and I have decided to get back into education. My educational history is decent GCSE grades (2As7Bs2Cs), awful A levels (CCC) and a failed first year of university (picked a subject I was forced into, clearing panic) . After that I took a long break from education.

I am currently doing a Access to HE and I am on track to get 36/45 distinctions. I intend to apply in the cycle after I have gained my qualification. This would meet (and in most cases surpass) the entry requirements of every university I intend to apply for. I have some relevant experiences related my degree area that I think may be seen as beneficial to my application. The degree I'm applying for isn't in a highly competitive one per se but I am being a bit ambitious and aiming for a few high ranked universities.

Will my past hold me back in my applications and put me at a significant advantage. Will the failed year and awful A level grades be a huge red flag or will unis be prepared to give me another chance since I have done well in the Access to HE and I have picked up some valuable experiences whilst out of the world of education.

Thanks.
Reply 1
They care very little about your A-Levels once you are over 21. I got onto a competitive course at an RG institution despite my relatively crap A-Levels - I was nowhere near the AAB they demanded, but because I was 'mature' it mattered less. Your Access Course will be their main focus.
My A-levels are even worse, but I’ve been told by top unis (KCL, UCL and Warwick) that they are essentially irrelevant, mainly because I did them 5 years ago.
Reply 3
Original post by gjd800
They care very little about your A-Levels once you are over 21. I got onto a competitive course at an RG institution despite my relatively crap A-Levels - I was nowhere near the AAB they demanded, but because I was 'mature' it mattered less. Your Access Course will be their main focus.

Original post by Rival Dealer
My A-levels are even worse, but I’ve been told by top unis (KCL, UCL and Warwick) that they are essentially irrelevant, mainly because I did them 5 years ago.

Thanks for the re assurance guys.
Original post by chelseafan
Hi, I am 24 and I have decided to get back into education. My educational history is decent GCSE grades (2As7Bs2Cs), awful A levels (CCC) and a failed first year of university (picked a subject I was forced into, clearing panic) . After that I took a long break from education.

I am currently doing a Access to HE and I am on track to get 36/45 distinctions. I intend to apply in the cycle after I have gained my qualification. This would meet (and in most cases surpass) the entry requirements of every university I intend to apply for. I have some relevant experiences related my degree area that I think may be seen as beneficial to my application. The degree I'm applying for isn't in a highly competitive one per se but I am being a bit ambitious and aiming for a few high ranked universities.

Will my past hold me back in my applications and put me at a significant advantage. Will the failed year and awful A level grades be a huge red flag or will unis be prepared to give me another chance since I have done well in the Access to HE and I have picked up some valuable experiences whilst out of the world of education.

Thanks.

I presume that you are studying the Access to HE course because you are A-Levels weren't good enough to get into uni??

Personally I think that shows dedication and perseverance rather than put you at a disadvantage.

When are you hoping to start uni??
Reply 5
Original post by Sarah1979
I presume that you are studying the Access to HE course because you are A-Levels weren't good enough to get into uni??

Personally I think that shows dedication and perseverance rather than put you at a disadvantage.

When are you hoping to start uni??

I have a failed first year of university alongside the A level grades CCC which is not good enough for the unis I aspire to go to. So I'm doing the Access course to get a shot at the top unis. I hope to start uni in summer 2019.

I hope it will.
Hey!

I'm in a similar-ish situation.
Due to some family related emergencies I ended up leaving education before completing my A levels, leaving me with a B in one subject and 2 As levels. Basically the breadwinner of my household lost his job and dude to his health became unemployable for a time. I had no choice but to go out and work so we could afford rent.

I'm now in my 30s and looking chase down the career I've always wanted and been so passionate about, but my A level and As' didn't quite cut it for UCAS points - had I completed all three to A level then they likely would have.

I'm currently taking an access course and have applied for some placements - I have already been given two conditional offers entirely dependent on my Access Course results.

Hang in there, it is possible!

L x
Reply 7
Original post by Psych_Loz
Hey!

I'm in a similar-ish situation.
Due to some family related emergencies I ended up leaving education before completing my A levels, leaving me with a B in one subject and 2 As levels. Basically the breadwinner of my household lost his job and dude to his health became unemployable for a time. I had no choice but to go out and work so we could afford rent.

I'm now in my 30s and looking chase down the career I've always wanted and been so passionate about, but my A level and As' didn't quite cut it for UCAS points - had I completed all three to A level then they likely would have.

I'm currently taking an access course and have applied for some placements - I have already been given two conditional offers entirely dependent on my Access Course results.

Hang in there, it is possible!

L x

Great, congrats on the offers! Thanks for the reassurance
Hey,
My A Levels were only slightly better than yours (ACC) and whilst I did finish a degree, I didn't exactly blow anyone away with the results. Also doing a HE Diploma, don't even have any 'Graded' units back yet, but I've got two conditional offers from Manchester and Bristol, both pretty top-tier universities.

Not at all trying to brag, simply to show that... well, what you've done since education and how you apply yourself to your HE Diploma is much more important as a mature student, and you can certainly get into very good universities through it. You can do it! Good luck!
Hey, I'm 22 and I have no A-Levels nor am I doing any Access courses. I've been in work since I'm 18 and I've applied to study Computing/comp science with a foundation year this year. The Unis will make their decisions based on relevant qualifications and experience.
Hopefully my story will give you some encouragement. I left school with no GCSE’s whatsoever - felt like an utter loser for years! Eventually (around 8 years later) I signed up to some distance learning and got three A’s at A-Level equivalent. I completed a degree with the Open University and achieved a First Class honours in Business - I worked full time and had two babies whilst studying the degree over four years. In 2016, I decided to convert my Business degree to Law (GDL at the University of Law) and received a prestigious Inns Of Court scholarship the following year which funded my vocational training as a barrister. I am now also applying for a part time masters :smile:

Bottom line - most Universities won’t care. Life experience often goes a long way. Along my journey I was rejected but LSE, which was most depressing; but I got over it, he hee. The important thing is to just dust yourself off and carry on, and try not to take things personally if certain institutions reject you.

I wish you all the best! :smile:
Original post by Lisabelle123
Hopefully my story will give you some encouragement. I left school with no GCSE’s whatsoever - felt like an utter loser for years! Eventually (around 8 years later) I signed up to some distance learning and got three A’s at A-Level equivalent. I completed a degree with the Open University and achieved a First Class honours in Business - I worked full time and had two babies whilst studying the degree over four years. In 2016, I decided to convert my Business degree to Law (GDL at the University of Law) and received a prestigious Inns Of Court scholarship the following year which funded my vocational training as a barrister. I am now also applying for a part time masters :smile:

Bottom line - most Universities won’t care. Life experience often goes a long way. Along my journey I was rejected but LSE, which was most depressing; but I got over it, he hee. The important thing is to just dust yourself off and carry on, and try not to take things personally if certain institutions reject you.

I wish you all the best! :smile:

Congrats on your wonderful achievements! Thanks a lot for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending