The Student Room Group

Stressed

I have my first ever A level mocks tomorrow and I've never felt this much pressure or stress. My mood has been so low that I feel exhausted and I haven't been able to revise despite trying all methods possible.

I feel so sick and I am dreading tomorrow. Any tips?
Stop with the excuses and get on with it. At the end of the day, nothing that anyone says on here will make it easier, you’ve just got to revise as much as you can and try hard. There’s no magic trick to get it all in your head?
relax, they're mocks and you should treat them as a learning experience to get used to sitting the exam, become familiar with the timings of the paper and see how much you can recall in that situation. don't think of them as the be all and end all, there is plenty of time to improve your grade and by stressing this much you will likely not perform to the best of your abilities
Original post by zozo200016
Stop with the excuses and get on with it. At the end of the day, nothing that anyone says on here will make it easier, you’ve just got to revise as much as you can and try hard. There’s no magic trick to get it all in your head?

Your nice! Aren’t you? Obviously you’re not one who really cares too much or you just don’t feel stress whereas people like me and KatelynWayman do. So how about you try and sympathise instead of being rude. If you have nothing useful to say don’t say anything at all.

If I were you KatelynWayman I would try and go over everything calmly and just read it. Don’t feel so panicked and stressed about it. And like other (more useful) comments have said they are mocks. I know you want to do you’re best but learn from them!! The things that you go wrong on you will have improved on when it does come to the real things!

Good luck 😊 and let us know how it goes!
Original post by Doughnuts2002
Your nice! Aren’t you? Obviously you’re not one who really cares too much or you just don’t feel stress whereas people like me and KatelynWayman do. So how about you try and sympathise instead of being rude. If you have nothing useful to say don’t say anything at all.

If I were you KatelynWayman I would try and go over everything calmly and just read it. Don’t feel so panicked and stressed about it. And like other (more useful) comments have said they are mocks. I know you want to do you’re best but learn from them!! The things that you go wrong on you will have improved on when it does come to the real things!

Good luck 😊 and let us know how it goes!

Well, being someone who has dealt with anxiety for a long time, I do in fact sympathise! The harsh way of putting things can often be the best way. I spend a lot of my school life in the same position as OP, with a VERY SIMILAR mindset. I was hoping someone could help me, but at the end of the day, most people have to help THEMSELVES. The real world won’t be cushty, so facing the fact that you have to do it yourself NOW, will teach you to self-inspire and self-motivate for the rest of your life.
Those who baby OP and say ‘it’ll be fine’ only persuade this mindset.
OP will realise, like I, and many of my friends did, that you HAVE to push YOURSELF and just force yourself to get on with it.
So forgive me for being “rude”- but when I looked at my ‘Just mocks’ as ‘Just mocks’ I came out with Es. When I realised I’d have to push myself, and stop looking for excuses, I came out with As.
A change in mindset is what you need.
Personally, I would say that mocks should be taken seriously as they are really important in letting you know exactly what a step-up A Levels are. However, I have always fallen into the trap of putting everything I have into trying to ace my mocks to impress teachers and get a good report but then when it's over I've felt completely burnt out. It's nice to have great grades in your mock exams but at the end of the day that not the result that you come out with at the end of the year. If they go badly then make sure you look back at them to see where you went wrong and learn from that, and as aesthete1 said its good to get to know the exam timings, especially if you're not particularly fast. Whatever happens, don't beat yourself up about it because the real exams in June are always going to be the most important thing to study for :smile:
Well, being someone who has dealt with anxiety for a long time, I do in fact sympathise! The harsh way of putting things can often be the best way. I spend a lot of my school life in the same position as OP, with a VERY SIMILAR mindset. I was hoping someone could help me, but at the end of the day, most people have to help THEMSELVES. The real world won’t be cushty, so facing the fact that you have to do it yourself NOW, will teach you to self-inspire and self-motivate for the rest of your life.
Those who baby OP and say ‘it’ll be fine’ only persuade this mindset.
OP will realise, like I, and many of my friends did, that you HAVE to push YOURSELF and just force yourself to get on with it.
So forgive me for being “rude”- but when I looked at my ‘Just mocks’ as ‘Just mocks’ I came out with Es. When I realised I’d have to push myself, and stop looking for excuses, I came out with As.
A change in mindset is what you need.

I agree with you about the mindset thing. That changes everything. I know sometimes being harsh sets you up for later life but the OP just wanted a bit of comfort and advice. Instead you told them “stop with the excuses”. You CANNOT stop yourself feeling nervous about something, there may be ways to reduce but not completely eliminate it. Therefore I would expect you to sympathise more than I do, as I also did have a similar mindset but you seem to understand their life more!! and I’m sorry that you have faced difficulties in your life involving grades and anxiety - and I’m not saying this in a horrible way but I’m just asking why did you respond in an unnecessary way?
And also I never said that ‘it’ll be fine’ I gave the OP advice on how to handle the night before an exam. Not don’t worry don’t do anything who cares if you fail did I???
I know that you have to be proactive as I try to be myself and as a person I have completely changed. But I feel as if your response to the OP was quite rude rather than being a bit supportive and helpful. Yes the harsh method works - but not all the time. Yes you HAVE to push YOURSELF - but in a night how much information do you want them to swallow up?

I’m not trying to criticise you as an individual, just your response and attitude though
Original post by aesthete1
relax, they're mocks and you should treat them as a learning experience to get used to sitting the exam, become familiar with the timings of the paper and see how much you can recall in that situation. don't think of them as the be all and end all, there is plenty of time to improve your grade and by stressing this much you will likely not perform to the best of your abilities

Original post by o.dowes
Personally, I would say that mocks should be taken seriously as they are really important in letting you know exactly what a step-up A Levels are. However, I have always fallen into the trap of putting everything I have into trying to ace my mocks to impress teachers and get a good report but then when it's over I've felt completely burnt out. It's nice to have great grades in your mock exams but at the end of the day that not the result that you come out with at the end of the year. If they go badly then make sure you look back at them to see where you went wrong and learn from that, and as aesthete1 said its good to get to know the exam timings, especially if you're not particularly fast. Whatever happens, don't beat yourself up about it because the real exams in June are always going to be the most important thing to study for :smile:

And I completely agree with these two! They have given helpful advice on how to handle the mock results, stress and pressure
I agree with you about the mindset thing. That changes everything. I know sometimes being harsh sets you up for later life but the OP just wanted a bit of comfort and advice. Instead you told them “stop with the excuses”. You CANNOT stop yourself feeling nervous about something, there may be ways to reduce but not completely eliminate it. Therefore I would expect you to sympathise more than I do, as I also did have a similar mindset but you seem to understand their life more!! and I’m sorry that you have faced difficulties in your life involving grades and anxiety - and I’m not saying this in a horrible way but I’m just asking why did you respond in an unnecessary way?
And also I never said that ‘it’ll be fine’ I gave the OP advice on how to handle the night before an exam. Not don’t worry don’t do anything who cares if you fail did I???
I know that you have to be proactive as I try to be myself and as a person I have completely changed. But I feel as if your response to the OP was quite rude rather than being a bit supportive and helpful. Yes the harsh method works - but not all the time. Yes you HAVE to push YOURSELF - but in a night how much information do you want them to swallow up?

I’m not trying to criticise you as an individual, just your response and attitude though

Excuses and anxiety aren’t the same. OP can stop making excuses and just work on reducing the anxiety- that’s my point. That excuses won’t help.
Excuses and anxiety aren’t the same. OP can stop making excuses and just work on reducing the anxiety- that’s my point. That excuses won’t help.

See I agree with you! It was just your first response which was a bit harsh. You didn’t say ‘stop making excuses AND try and reduce anxiety”!!!
I do kinda agree with what's been said here. The first step towards beating anxiety, of any sort, I've found is to just do something. Once you've taken one small step you'll realise you can take another, until you get there. The hard part's just taking the first one. :smile:

For your mocks - they are mocks. That's not to downplay their importance, but here's the thing - they're not the real, final exams yet. So if you think you're gonna do badly now, try to go in not expecting to do amazingly, but instead to figure out where you need the most improvement. In the end that's really what mocks are for, as much as a progress indicator.

You've got a few months until the real things; just see these as an exercise in understanding where your strengths lie, and where you need to improve. That way you'll make the most of them, and hopefully, not feel as anxious about them as the stakes are much lower than you're thinking.

Good luck c:
See I agree with you! It was just your first response which was a bit harsh. You didn’t say ‘stop making excuses AND try and reduce anxiety”!!!

Well, I figured that the need to reduce anxiety was already clear! Nevermind

Quick Reply

Latest