The Student Room Group

I can't afford my medication

Hey,

I'm currently being told to take the rest of the year off sixth form. I'm one of the unlucky people who have to resit a year ( year 13) due to being in bad health. Since August I haven't been able to keep food down and I'm in pain a lot. I lost 36kg in a couple of months and have been hospitalised a lot. So my school has asked me to leave my education till next year( I'm only 17 so the age gap isn't a problem, which is good). However, I have 12 or more medications I take daily and I fear I can't afford this with me now being exempt form free prescriptions. I'm asthmatic as well. I'm not going to uni next year, my parents make very little money and I would rather they spend it on my 2 siblings. I'v looked at the NHS website which I don't fully understand. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ark zero
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

At worst you can buy a prepayment certificate for £104 which entitles you to unlimited free prescriptions.

https://apps.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/ppcwebsales/patient.do

You may also qualify for this:

https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/nhs-low-income-scheme.aspx
Reply 2
Original post by Good bloke
At worst you can buy a prepayment certificate for £104 which entitles you to unlimited free prescriptions.

https://apps.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/ppcwebsales/patient.do

You may also qualify for this:

https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/nhs-low-income-scheme.aspx

Thankyou very much. Both sources have helped a lot. Ps sorry for submitting this thread on the wrong subject area. I am new to this. Plus navigating on my phone is a pain. If I knew how to move it I would.
Thankyou very much. Both sources have helped a lot. Ps sorry for submitting this thread on the wrong subject area. I am new to this. Plus navigating on my phone is a pain. If I knew how to move it I would.

Hi, you can't move your own threads. I've moved it to money and finance where it's better suited.
Hi

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. The advice given above is correct and hopefully one of those options will work for you. Hope things get better for you. :smile:. Look after yourself.
If you have no income then you should qualify for free prescriptions. The form is a bit of a nightmare but it will be worth sorting out - you can ask your pharmacist for a form and for help if you need it. If you have one or two prescriptions in the meantime either just tick student (since you've only just left they won't notice) or you could ask your doctor to write you a prescription for a longer course of treatment e.g. 3 months supply so you don't have to pay as often.
Hey,

I'm currently being told to take the rest of the year off sixth form. I'm one of the unlucky people who have to resit a year ( year 13) due to being in bad health. Since August I haven't been able to keep food down and I'm in pain a lot. I lost 36kg in a couple of months and have been hospitalised a lot. So my school has asked me to leave my education till next year( I'm only 17 so the age gap isn't a problem, which is good). However, I have 12 or more medications I take daily and I fear I can't afford this with me now being exempt form free prescriptions. I'm asthmatic as well. I'm not going to uni next year, my parents make very little money and I would rather they spend it on my 2 siblings. I'v looked at the NHS website which I don't fully understand. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As another user mentioned, the prepayment card/scheme is good! Im o three medications and saves me money and will save you a lot!
You can still say on your prescription (via ticking the box in the exemption on the green form) that you're in full-time education, you're just going to be absent for the rest of the year.
Reply 8
Original post by doodle_333
If you have one or two prescriptions in the meantime either just tick student (since you've only just left they won't notice) or you could ask your doctor to write you a prescription for a longer course of treatment e.g. 3 months supply so you don't have to pay as often.

The correct procedure is to pay for the prescription and ask for an
FP57 form at the time that you pay (you can't get one later). You can use this to get a refund if you subsequently get a pre-payment certificate.

Lying by declaring you're a student when you're not is an offence. You probably won't get caught, but do you want to take the risk of a fraud conviction?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending