The Student Room Group

No idea which masters to pick.

Okay, I'm going to be honest so please don't laugh as I am being serious and I do need help in finding the right course and hopefully finding similar people who also believe in so.

I'm looking for a masters that is focused on the brain. So mapping it, understanding how it works, what makes it work, neurons etc which also involves computer programming, robotics and A.I.

My reason for this is because I want/looking for a masters that allows me to have to have a deep understanding of both fields and go into research in joining technology with brains, A.I and Human brains.

I know it sounds ridiculous or that it's just some ******** science fiction dream but I've always been interested in building a literal bridge and plus I believe it is absolutely feasible if we put the effort into it. We could improve our minds and lives with technology. I truly believe it.

So enough of my dreams, I've been looking into Cognitive Neuroscience Human neurology at Sheffield university, a similar course at Manchester, one at Liverpool Hope University and computational Neuroscience and Cognitive Robotics at University of Birmingham.

They seem the most promising and with my background in a computer science degree, a masters with a heavy focus on the topics I have described and I could hopefully do a PHD, a paper on the topic and actually go into research career on it.

They all have Computer Science as one of the requirements but I still am unsure of these are the right courses, do they really go into the depth and topics I am interested in? I fear I may end up doing one of the masters and find out it's taking me along a route I am not interested in like Neurodiseases.

It seems most likely University of Birmingham fits the bill and so does Sheffield university who I also contacted and explained I could do pathway 2, so extra question, anyone did this subject there?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BluePube
Okay, I'm going to be honest so please don't laugh as I am being serious and I do need help in finding the right course and hopefully finding similar people who also believe in so.

I'm looking for a masters that is focused on the brain. So mapping it, understanding how it works, what makes it work, neurons etc which also involves computer programming, robotics and A.I.

My reason for this is because I want/looking for a masters that allows me to have to have a deep understanding of both fields and go into research in joining technology with brains, A.I and Human brains.

I know it sounds ridiculous or that it's just some ******** science fiction dream but I've always been interested in building a literal bridge and plus I believe it is absolutely feasible if we put the effort into it. We could improve our minds and lives with technology. I truly believe it.

So enough of my dreams, I've been looking into Cognitive Neuroscience Human neurology at Sheffield university, a similar course at Manchester, one at Liverpool Hope University and computational Neuroscience and Cognitive Robotics at University of Birmingham.

They seem the most promising and with my background in a computer science degree, a masters with a heavy focus on the topics I have described and I could hopefully do a PHD, a paper on the topic and actually go into research career on it.

They all have Computer Science as one of the requirements but I still am unsure of these are the right courses, do they really go into the depth and topics I am interested in? I fear I may end up doing one of the masters and find out it's taking me along a route I am not interested in like Neurodiseases.

It seems most likely University of Birmingham fits the bill and so does Sheffield university who I also contacted and explained I could do pathway 2, so extra question, anyone did this subject there?

so you consider yourself to be somewhat mathsy....statistically, what do you think are the chances of someone on TSR, who sees your thread, having read the post through, having done one of these 4 courses and is willing to tell you about them!?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by CollectiveSoul
so you consider yourself to be somewhat mathsy....statistically, what do you think are the chances of someone on TSR, who sees your thread, having read the post through, having done one of these 4 courses and is willing to tell you about them!?

I did mention at the top of my post if anyone has done something similar or shares the same interest who could perhaps help me.
Original post by BluePube

Hi :smile:

It's great to hear you have researched what different universities have to offer. Are you from the UK and able to visit these universities?

My best advise would be to attend the campuses and speak to an academic first hand about what the course entails in order to make an informed decision. Hope have Open House Events coming up in March and April where you can attend drop in sessions to ask the academics all the questions you need and also get a feel for the university.

I could also give you the email address for the course contact should you wish to email him directly with questions. If you would like his email please do just drop us a private message and we can arrange that for you.

I hope this helps but of course feel free to give us a shout if you have any specific questions about the course offered at Hope.

Best of luck with your decision making
Ruth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending