The Student Room Group

Haven't heard back from four of my Uni choices and it's mid-February...

My personal statement was really good imo, as I've always been interested in writing. I spoke about my work experience, my EPQ, and other notable things that are relevant to computer science.

My predicted grades are AAB, however I got a D in Maths AS which I'm retaking this year - would this be grounds for rejection? I've applied to Sheffield, Leeds, York, Newcastle and Sheffield Hallam.

The only uni I've heard back from is Hallam, which I put down as a safe option and really don't want to go. I don't want to be pessimistic as I know they have a long time to reply but all my friends have received all their offers, and my parents are starting to talk to me about planning for the worst case scenario.

Someone help
Original post by Joe_Gaughan
My personal statement was really good imo, as I've always been interested in writing. I spoke about my work experience, my EPQ, and other notable things that are relevant to computer science.

My predicted grades are AAB, however I got a D in Maths AS which I'm retaking this year - would this be grounds for rejection? I've applied to Sheffield, Leeds, York, Newcastle and Sheffield Hallam.

The only uni I've heard back from is Hallam, which I put down as a safe option and really don't want to go. I don't want to be pessimistic as I know they have a long time to reply but all my friends have received all their offers, and my parents are starting to talk to me about planning for the worst case scenario.

Someone help

Yes, the D in maths is a red flag for computer science. Contact your other four unis and ask when they expect to make a decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you friends applied for the same course at the same unis?
All unis take different amounts of time to respond and different courses take different times. They have until april/may time to respond so I wouldn't worry yet, at least it's not a rejection yet
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Yes, the D in maths is a red flag for computer science. Contact your other four unis and ask when they expect to make a decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a C in C2 and S1, but because of family issues the night before my C1 exam I got a U. I don't want to shift the blame but I know I can get a B or even higher when I retake them this year. It's frustrating because apparently if you're retaking exams some colleges just let you put the result as 'pending' but I didn't know this when applying. Do they not put more focus on predicted grades?
I don't know much about computer science but my dad does the interviews at Oxford and he always says that personal statements are nearly never looked at unless there are two very similar applicants so sorry to bring you down but I'm not sure having a great personal statement is going to help your application.
That being said, all universities have different application processes and, as I mentioned, I don't know much about Computer Science...
I would contact your Universities and ask when they are going to make a decision and don't worry - different courses reply at different times so you still have a chance.
Good Luck!!
I got a C in C2 and S1, but because of family issues the night before my C1 exam I got a U. I don't want to shift the blame but I know I can get a B or even higher when I retake them this year. It's frustrating because apparently if you're retaking exams some colleges just let you put the result as 'pending' but I didn't know this when applying. Do they not put more focus on predicted grades?

Was your rogue result explained by your referee?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by lia.e
I don't know much about computer science but my dad does the interviews at Oxford and he always says that personal statements are nearly never looked at unless there are two very similar applicants so sorry to bring you down but I'm not sure having a great personal statement is going to help your application.
That being said, all universities have different application processes and, as I mentioned, I don't know much about Computer Science...
I would contact your Universities and ask when they are going to make a decision and don't worry - different courses reply at different times so you still have a chance.
Good Luck!!

The PS isn't the issue in this case.
The course isn't English (which you mentioned in a similar post elsewhere is your father's subject).
The university isn't Oxford.
No CS course applications (including Oxford) are decided solely (or even in large part) at the interview. Indeed most universities don't interview at all, for most courses.
Original post by lia.e
Good Luck!!

Does your dad know that you share information he tells you with strangers online?
Original post by PQ
Does your dad know that you share information he tells you with strangers online?

He does talks on this kind of thing so it's not like it's private info 😂
Original post by Doonesbury
The PS isn't the issue in this case.
The course isn't English (which you mentioned in a similar post elsewhere is your father's subject).
The university isn't Oxford.
No CS course applications (including Oxford) are decided solely (or even in large part) at the interview. Indeed most universities don't interview at all, for most courses.

Was just adding to the discussion with info I thought might help, wasn't trying to misinform or anything :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by lia.e
wasn't trying to misinform or anything :smile:

Except it does though...

Someone help

Hi @Joe_Gaughan

Congrats on your offer with us! Like the others have said, try getting in touch with the university admissions team. They'll be able to track your application and may be tell you there and then your status.

No matter how late the response is, you will hear back from the university you applied to. A good place to check is UCAS Track, you cam see the updates on there too.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Reanne

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending