The Student Room Group

Is a Placement Year worth it?

I'm planning on doing a History degree hopefully at Loughborough who offer a placement year after your 2nd year. However, I have a few concerns about it.

When you come back is it hard to make friends considering most have graduated?

How do you find living arrangements having to come back to uni effectively without knowing anyone?

Is the placement year worth it? Loughborough also offer one or three month placements over a summer too, so might I be better off doing this?

Sorry I ask so many questions, I just get fairly anxious about this kinda stuff.

Cheers
Original post by Oaysis13
I'm planning on doing a History degree hopefully at Loughborough who offer a placement year after your 2nd year. However, I have a few concerns about it.

How do you find living arrangements having to come back to uni effectively without knowing anyone?

Is the placement year worth it? Loughborough also offer one or three month placements over a summer too, so might I be better off doing this?

Sorry I ask so many questions, I just get fairly anxious about this kinda stuff.

Cheers

I did one, was lucky to find people who were going to do one too so I live with them now.

You make friends the same way you did before the year

Up to you whether you take a year or just months in the summer

Cheers

what do you want to do after university

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers

Hi Oaysis13
A good proportion of students here do a placement year, so I don't think you'll have the level of problems reintegrating that you imaging you will as a lot of people will be in the same position.

Most people will say a placement year is worth it for a couple of reasons. You get to work in a field that you think you'll be interested in as a career when you graduate. You also may secure a job with your placement company for when you graduate. However, some people have done a placement - realised that what they thought they wanted to do wasn't for them and changed their thinking. This then lets you choose your final year optional modules in a more informed manor.
If you're holding an offer that includes a placement year - you can always change your mind an request that you go straight to 3rd year after your second year.
This gives you time to decide what you want to do and when you're here and make friends, you may feel differently about it.

I wouldn't worry now and leave it as a decision to make after you've started and you've been here for a while and know what's what.
Hope that helps :smile:
Vicky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending