The Student Room Group

History HL IB: Extremely hard to score a 7?

My history teacher told me that it has become extremely hard to get a 7 in History, particularly because of Paper 2. Can anyone verify OR , if you've gotten a 7, can you share your wisdom and tips PLEASE i'm panicking
Original post by legallyblind
My history teacher told me that it has become extremely hard to get a 7 in History, particularly because of Paper 2. Can anyone verify OR , if you've gotten a 7, can you share your wisdom and tips PLEASE i'm panicking

Do they make available past papers and mark schemes? If so look at them. It must be possible so you simply have to understand what you have to do, what they look for and then provide it. What your teacher is saying is not that its impossible, but fewer candidates trul understand how o score highly by giving them what they want. It is just History.

Distinguishing marks include well written arguments and better quality use of evidence, identification of issues, analysis and original evaluation. You cna also do additional reading and bring in other views.

Talk to your teacher and ask them where you fall short and what aditional things you need in your answers to improve them.
Original post by 999tigger
Do they make available past papers and mark schemes? If so look at them. It must be possible so you simply have to understand what you have to do, what they look for and then provide it. What your teacher is saying is not that its impossible, but fewer candidates trul understand how o score highly by giving them what they want. It is just History.

Distinguishing marks include well written arguments and better quality use of evidence, identification of issues, analysis and original evaluation. You cna also do additional reading and bring in other views.

Talk to your teacher and ask them where you fall short and what aditional things you need in your answers to improve them.

Completely agree! ^^ Indeed history is difficult, only three people in our class including me are getting a 7. But with effort and commitment, it is achievable. @legallyblind

We only learn Paper 3 next year, but here's the Paper 1 and 2 advice:
Paper 1
- Timing is vital, don't linger too long on the first few questions. Try to get to the mini essay soon as possible
- In the mini essay, must use both external knowledge and the given sources. My teacher says the max you can get is a 4/9 if you don't use sources, after all it is a source-based paper

Paper 2
- Spend a good 5 mins before test starts just planning and working out an outline
- They are always looking for historiography. but just throwing a relevant quote into the essay is not enough, you have to use that quote to support your points, or you could use the quote to introduce a new point. there are many ways to do it but essentially you should incorporate the quote into the overall flow and argument of your essay
- Again, timing is key. Spend 45 min on each question.
- If you're doing authoritarian states/consolidation/maintenance, should talk about both domestic policies and foreign policies
- From experience, it's better to have 4 concise but developed body paragraphs than 3 full-fledged, overly drawn out paragraphs.
(edited 5 years ago)
Nah its easy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending