The Student Room Group

Need to gain 10kg

Hi,

I’m currently 57kg and need to gain around 10kg in order to join the Royal Marines which state you need to be 65kg.

I’d like to gain this in muscle mass but do understand it won’t all be muscle, some fat.

I would like also like to be able to be fit and basically be able to pass entry for the Royal Marines.

I also don’t currently go to the gym which I’ll be hopefully starting soon.

Can I have opinions/help about how to go about this please ?
Reply 1
Protein and a lot of gym and food
When do you need to join by?

You will need a fair bit of time to do that (5-10 months)

Personally i’d get some work experience first and bulk up comfortably above 65kg before joining but your call
Reply 3
The best way to gain weight is by eating more food and training. If you are looking to join the Royal Marines you will definitely need some sort of fitness level before you join never mind the weight requirement.

I would advise you start a gym routine, eat plenty of protein, and load up on the carbs. If your a decent height and you weigh 57KG you definitely won't have an issue of gaining loads of fat if your smashing the calories. Rather than buying a protein shake with low calories you would probably be better off consuming a mass gainer (higher calories, more carbs, high amounts of protein). Take a look on myprotein for some products.

As noted above its going to take you a few months to put on some decent weight. Stick with it and you'll see progress.
the viability of doing it quickly & safely depends on OP's current age, height, build, diet, etc but obviously the only way to increase body mass is to eat more.
Original post by marcofran_1989
If you want to gain weight naturally then you can make a homemade protein.otherwise, the protien powder is more effective than it but it has some side effect that's why I don't suggest you take that protien powder.you should maintain a meal routine.every day you should take more than 1000gm of protein it will help you to gain weight early.there is some food like egg, peanut butter, beef, chicken, dates, milk etc.this food have lots of protein.maintain your routine with that foods.

if by "1000gm of protein" daily you mean a kilo, i very strongly advise against attempting this. the monetary cost & sheer tedium of doing this would obviously deter most people but anyone who did persevere would likely do a lot of damage to their internal organs.
I think he means 100g, as 1kg would literally **** you up
Original post by Adamricky
I think he means 100g, as 1kg would literally **** you up

yep, my reply was tongue in cheek.

an old bodybuilding rule is something like *up to* 2g of protein per lb of your bodyweight.

so someone like this chap, who weighs 180kg/c 400lb, might just about get through up to around 800g of protein in a day. and i very much doubt he's going to live to a ripe old age.

https://www.gq.com/story/game-of-thrones-the-mountain-workout

someone of OP's size might attempt up to around 250g per day max [really around half that would be a better amount imo], & even that would be seriously tiresome, expensive, & probably unhealthy.
Go on a glorious bulk, do cardio twice a week and lift 3 x a week. Read the FAQ :smile:
If you want to gain weight naturally then you can make a homemade protein.otherwise, the protien powder is more effective than it but it has some side effect that's why I don't suggest you take that protien powder.you should maintain a meal routine.every day you should take more than 1000gm of protein it will help you to gain weight early.there is some food like egg, peanut butter, beef, chicken, dates, milk etc.this food have lots of protein.maintain your routine with that foods.

Can we make it a banable offence to post absolute nonsense like this?

What side effects do protein shakes have?

Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Can we make it a banable offence to post absolute nonsense like this?

Bro you'll grow a third eye, tis the truth
Just eat more calories if you want to gain weight weight training and you will gain muscleIf you're eating enough calories you will most likely be getting enough protein, especially at your weight, dont waste money on supps
Original post by Angry cucumber
What side effects do protein shakes have?...

constipation, honestly.

i once [on an ill-advised health kick] worked out heavily five days solid, finishing each of these days with a protein shake. my workout regime wasn't the only solid thing by the end of the week.
Original post by puffyisgood
constipation, honestly.

i once [on an ill-advised health kick] worked out heavily five days solid, finishing each of these days with a protein shake. my workout regime wasn't the only solid thing by the end of the week.

The rest of your diet needs a look at not the protein shake
Original post by JK1999RM
Hi,

I’m currently 57kg and need to gain around 10kg in order to join the Royal Marines which state you need to be 65kg.

I’d like to gain this in muscle mass but do understand it won’t all be muscle, some fat.

I would like also like to be able to be fit and basically be able to pass entry for the Royal Marines.

I also don’t currently go to the gym which I’ll be hopefully starting soon.

Can I have opinions/help about how to go about this please ?

Drink glass of cold fat milk that the one with the blue cover on it avoid the green milk in the morning and the evening for a month. don't skip break fast. try eating lean red meat, real nut butter, tropical fruits like water leamon

Quick Reply

Latest