The Student Room Group

Post-Graduate Student Finance?

xoxox
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by xoelisee
I have completed four years of undergraduate which were funded by student finance (both tuition fees and living costs). I'm from a low income family so received a high maintenance loan and bursary.

I am now wanting to continue my education and I am at a bit of a cross-roads with what I want to do and the financial side of things will really influence me.

- If I do a master's degree, will this be funded?
- If after a master's degree I wanted to do graduate-entry medicine, would this be funded even though I have already done a post-graduate degree?

Hi Xoelisee,

I can certainly help you with this.

If you go on to do the Masters degree, this would be funded with the Postgraduate Loan (PGL), see here for information on this.

Graduate entry medicine is an exception to the previous study and previous qualification rule, so you can still receive funding for this. The funding is different to most undergraduate courses. Here's a brief breakdown of the funding:

Year 1-
Tuition Fee Loan- You would have to fund the first £3465 of the tuition fees yourself, however, a tuition fee loan for the remained of up £5785 would be available from SFE.

You would also be eligible for a fully income assessed maintenance loan, DSA and supplementary grants such as childcare grant and parents learning allowance.

Years 2-4-

Tuition Fee Loan- The first £3715 of the tuition fees will be funded by the Department of Health. A tuition fee loan of up to £5535 for the remainder will be available from SFE.

In these years you'll be eligible to apply for the income assessed NHS bursary and supplementary grants from the NHS. You'll be eligible for reduced rate maintenance loan in these years.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
Reply 2
Original post by John B SFE
Hi Xoelisee,

I can certainly help you with this.

If you go on to do the Masters degree, this would be funded with the Postgraduate Loan (PGL), see here for information on this.

Graduate entry medicine is an exception to the previous study and previous qualification rule, so you can still receive funding for this. The funding is different to most undergraduate courses. Here's a brief breakdown of the funding:

Year 1-
Tuition Fee Loan- You would have to fund the first £3465 of the tuition fees yourself, however, a tuition fee loan for the remained of up £5785 would be available from SFE.

You would also be eligible for a fully income assessed maintenance loan, DSA and supplementary grants such as childcare grant and parents learning allowance.

Years 2-4-

Tuition Fee Loan- The first £3715 of the tuition fees will be funded by the Department of Health. A tuition fee loan of up to £5535 for the remainder will be available from SFE.

In these years you'll be eligible to apply for the income assessed NHS bursary and supplementary grants from the NHS. You'll be eligible for reduced rate maintenance loan in these years.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.

Thank you so much, you've just made my life so much easier!
Original post by xoelisee
Thank you so much, you've just made my life so much easier!

You're more than welcome, I'm glad to hear that!

Best wishes,

John.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending