The Student Room Group

Why do Pakistanis favour males over females???

My parents have a saving account for my brother but not me??...And I was relying on them to fund my degree, of course paying them back but like that is so not fair :frown: To be fair, I am just annoyed but still Pakistanis always favour males over females and I don't get why...
Men means that they can get dowry from marriages. They are the head of the family and are labelled the “responsible” ones.
Original post by TheAlchemistress
Men means that they can get dowry from marriages. They are the head of the family and are labelled the “responsible” ones.

The bride gets the dowry not the groom :smile: I feel like nowadays it's better to stay with your daughter then your son as you get treated better but yet they still prefer their sons :colonhash:
Reply 3
Original post by Magnolia0
My parents have a saving account for my brother but not me??...And I was relying on them to fund my degree, of course paying them back but like that is so not fair :frown: To be fair, I am just annoyed but still Pakistanis always favour males over females and I don't get why...

they probably expect your husband to provide for you

south asian culture are a lot more traditional in gender roles than western culture

they're about 100 years behind
Original post by ANM775
they probably expect your husband to provide for you

south asian culture are a lot more traditional in gender roles than western culture

they're about 100 years behind

So true
Reply 5
It’s quite typical in south Asian culture.

1. Boys are expected to take care of their parents in old age, not girls
2. Girls become the responsibility of their husband

If they’re really orthodox, they might not want to give a girl an education because girls are supposed to learn to cook etc. Obviously this isn’t my view.
Some south Asian families are really backward; I'm Pakistani btw.

Pakistanis from rich affluent backgrounds with good education seem to care less about boys and girls since they are stable and don't need to rely on their "son" to make money for them.
Pakistanis from poorer backgrounds think having sons = more money income, since boys are expected to provide for the family.
Original post by S.G.
It’s quite typical in south Asian culture.

1. Boys are expected to take care of their parents in old age, not girls
2. Girls become the responsibility of their husband

If they’re really orthodox, they might not want to give a girl an education because girls are supposed to learn to cook etc. Obviously this isn’t my view.

No, they aren't that orthodox :biggrin: they encourage me to get an education and be successful but they don't really understand how much debt you be in, that's why I wished I had a saving account...
I think my brothers account is more for his future house and all that but it depends on how he uses it.
Still, Pakistanis prefer sons over daughters :frown:...
Original post by TheAlchemistress

Typical racist misinformation trying to convince society that all asians are backwards and sexist.
Original post by Appleorpear
Typical racist misinformation trying to convince society that all asians are backwards and sexist.

Don't worry, I've corrected them but I don't think that was their intent... God knows though
South Asian culture suppose

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending