The Student Room Group

Stuck at home for 2 and a half years. Bored!??

So I am in a very bad situation and need advice please!!

So 2016-17 I studied in Liverpool for a year and didn't like my course. So at the end of first year I decided to change course. Liverpool were already full at this point but a campus for university in the town where I'm from had the course I wanted to study and space. I decided to go to uni at home for a year since Liverpool had made it out like transferring for second year would be really easy and I didn't want to take a gap year.

I moved home because I get on well with my parents and as I said thought I would do this for a year and would then go back to Liverpool.

However, stupidly I applied for the NHS bursary, not really thinking in advance as to what it entailed but all of my uni class were applying and the lecturers were saying how great it is so I applied and got it.

Now however I have found out that if I was to transfer next year to Liverpool I would owe £8,500 to nhs bursaries and this is apparently payable within three months and I cannot pay it in that time as my family is from the lowest financial bracket.

Therefore, I seem to be stuck where I am now and can't go back to Liverpool like I hoped to do.

That would be fine except: the campus I'm on is 2 hours from the actual uni which means NO societies, NO events, NO nightlife except a Saturday night in the town that everyone goes on and is generally bad and only 20 people in my class. Including: 6/7 parents who are older, one lad who has a gf he's always with, one girl who lives at home 45 mins away and is always with her bf, one girl who hardly ever turns up because she lives over an hour away and likes to be at home so although she halls, only comes for lectures, one girl who used to be homeschooled and has about 6 siblings who she's always with and three girls who live in halls and do not talk to or sit with any of the rest of us and are their own group.

All of my friends from home bar one (who works full time) is away at uni and although I try to go see them at weekends, I can't afford to go too often. I'm an only child, have a part time job to give me some entertainment but I've got to stop that soon for placement that is full time.placement will obviously use up a lot of time but I am just so bored, have no university life and live at home on my own half the time.

I miss Liverpool and uni life so much and now it seems I'm stuck in this situation for two and a half years and I don't know what to do because I'm so fed up and bored and it's only been half a year!

Any advice on how to get through this? Or previous experience? Or info on payment plans for nhs bursary?

Thanks in advance! I really need someone's help because I'm just really alone atm!
Volunteering? A job with flexible hours? Hobbies you enjoy and cost next to nothing? People in other classes who will just chill?
Original post by Kc281
So I am in a very bad situation and need advice please!!

So 2016-17 I studied in Liverpool for a year and didn't like my course. So at the end of first year I decided to change course. Liverpool were already full at this point but a campus for university in the town where I'm from had the course I wanted to study and space. I decided to go to uni at home for a year since Liverpool had made it out like transferring for second year would be really easy and I didn't want to take a gap year.

I moved home because I get on well with my parents and as I said thought I would do this for a year and would then go back to Liverpool.

However, stupidly I applied for the NHS bursary, not really thinking in advance as to what it entailed but all of my uni class were applying and the lecturers were saying how great it is so I applied and got it.

Now however I have found out that if I was to transfer next year to Liverpool I would owe £8,500 to nhs bursaries and this is apparently payable within three months and I cannot pay it in that time as my family is from the lowest financial bracket.

Therefore, I seem to be stuck where I am now and can't go back to Liverpool like I hoped to do.

That would be fine except: the campus I'm on is 2 hours from the actual uni which means NO societies, NO events, NO nightlife except a Saturday night in the town that everyone goes on and is generally bad and only 20 people in my class. Including: 6/7 parents who are older, one lad who has a gf he's always with, one girl who lives at home 45 mins away and is always with her bf, one girl who hardly ever turns up because she lives over an hour away and likes to be at home so although she halls, only comes for lectures, one girl who used to be homeschooled and has about 6 siblings who she's always with and three girls who live in halls and do not talk to or sit with any of the rest of us and are their own group.

All of my friends from home bar one (who works full time) is away at uni and although I try to go see them at weekends, I can't afford to go too often. I'm an only child, have a part time job to give me some entertainment but I've got to stop that soon for placement that is full time.placement will obviously use up a lot of time but I am just so bored, have no university life and live at home on my own half the time.

I miss Liverpool and uni life so much and now it seems I'm stuck in this situation for two and a half years and I don't know what to do because I'm so fed up and bored and it's only been half a year!

Any advice on how to get through this? Or previous experience? Or info on payment plans for nhs bursary?

Thanks in advance! I really need someone's help because I'm just really alone atm!

you'll owe the nhs bursary that you were overpaid so it wont be the full years worth you'll owe. what degree is it you're studying?
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
you'll owe the nhs bursary that you were overpaid so it wont be the full years worth you'll owe. what degree is it you're studying?

Hi I'm studying nursing
Original post by Kc281
Hi I'm studying nursing

You can drop out and you ll just owe part of your last month's NHS bursary payment. I dropped out of nursing myself and the student loan company counted it as a year of funding so if you did ever want to go back to university you d only be allowed two years of funding so only do if you re sure you don't want to be a nurse.
It does sound like you re not enjoying the course otherwise your social life might not bother you as much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending