The Student Room Group

Why do Americans have such cheesy accents?

I live on the South coast of England, I have neither a posh accent nor a chavvy accent. I have a standard English accent. I used to like the American accent, but now it does my head in a bit. I'm talking to an American guy on Snapchat and instead of messaging me, he talks to me to me through videos. I think he is from Minnesota. It always sounds like Americans are trying to advertise a product. It sounds really patronising and informal to me. The six main reasons I can't stand it is because:

1) They exaggerate 'o' sounds which ought to be short. E.g. instead of saying 'God' which should take less than 3/4 of a second, they say 'Gaaahhhd' which takes at least 3/4 of a second to a whole second. This is cheesy and unnecessary.

2)Instead of saying bath using the 'a' sound which is in the word 'card' they use the 'a' sound in the word 'cat'. I can't stand Northern British accents for this reason, and I would love to watch Coronation Street and Emmerdale, the storylines are decent apart from the crap acting in these soaps, but the accents drive me insane.

3) They ask to go to the 'bathroom' or 'restroom' in order to use the toilet, thus taking the word 'bath' out of context. If you need a 'bath' than ask where the 'bathroom' is, if you need a poo or a wee then ask where the 'toilet' is, if you need a rest then go lie down in your 'bedroom' at home. There is no bath inside public toilets and there's no need to be ashamed about a natural bodily function. I know this is a critique of cultural customs, rather than the accent itself, but the accent annoys me by mere association of this cultural custom, because it doesn't make sense.

4) They fail to pronounce the 't' sound properly. E.g. When they say 'butter' it sounds like they are saying 'budder', with very soft 'd' pronunciation. There is a difference between 't' and 'd', which is why they are two separate letters in the 26-letter alphabet.

5) They sound like they are trying to advertise/convince you of what they are saying.

6) The American accent sounds informal because the 't's aren't pronounced properly, but yet serious at the same time because this accent exaggerates vowels ('Daaahhhwg' rather than 'dog':wink: which makes it appear as though American people are trying to be serious, or acting like what they are saying is important whilst also acting casual by not pronouncing the 't's properly. The accent contradicts itself.

The accents which have less exaggeration and don't sound as informal aren't bad though. The New York one is one of the least annoying ones.

Maybe I don't mind softer American accents, because I too have a sotfer English accent (in that mine is neither posh nor chavvy)?
(edited 6 years ago)
Solid analysis.
you really need to confront this person and tell him to sort himself out.
You know there are many different American accents right?
Reply 4
Original post by jas19
I have a standard English accent

No such thing.
Americans love pizza.
Reply 6
Original post by TaintedLight
Solid analysis.

Thank you
Reply 7
Original post by dutchstudent123
You know there are many different American accents right?

Yeah, I wrote 'The accents which have less exaggeration and don't sound as informal aren't bad though. The New York one is one of the least annoying ones.'
They don't have a "cheesy accent", I don't think an accent can be "cheesy"- you associate Americans with cheesy behaviour from what you see on TV and film and therefore associate their accents with "cheesiness".

I also ask for the bathroom when I need the toilet because it's more polite than saying "where's the toilet"

Everyone has an accent.
Its like Americnas saying that the British have 'cheesy' accents
Reply 10
Original post by beccagood95
They don't have a "cheesy accent", I don't think an accent can be "cheesy"- you associate Americans with cheesy behaviour from what you see on TV and film and therefore associate their accents with "cheesiness".

I also ask for the bathroom when I need the toilet because it's more polite than saying "where's the toilet"

Everyone has an accent.

Yeah, the first part of what you wrote may be true. Lots of American movies are broadcast on British TV, good ones, but maybe there is a lot of stereotyping in them so I have associated the accent with cheesiness. But, to me, exaggerating vowels in any accent - British or American - is cheesy and patronising. Most, if not all American accents have exaggerated vowel sounds.

Agree to disagree with you on the second one. Saying 'bathroom' may confuse the person you are talking to, which makes the situation awkward. I think it is more honest and down-to-earth to ask where the 'toilet' is, if you need to use the toilet, and it makes sense, because there is no bath in public toilets. I just don't think people should be ashamed about having a poo or wee, when it is a natural bodily function.
Original post by jas19
Yeah, the first part of what you wrote may be true. Lots of American movies are broadcast on British TV, good ones, but maybe there is a lot of stereotyping in them so I have associated the accent with cheesiness. But, to me, exaggerating vowels in any accent - British or American - is cheesy and patronising. Most, if not all American accents have exaggerated vowel sounds.

Agree to disagree with you on the second one. Saying 'bathroom' may confuse the person you are talking to, which makes the situation awkward. I think it is more honest and down-to-earth to ask where the 'toilet' is, if you need to use the toilet, and it makes sense, because there is no bath in public toilets. I just don't think people should be ashamed about having a poo or wee, when it is a natural bodily function.

Don't think anyone has ever been confused by my request for the bathroom, people usually know what I'm asking for. But I don't always want to use the toilet, sometimes I just want to use the mirror or adjust my bra or something so asking for the "toilet" wouldn't be appropriate either with your line of thinking and I'm not gonna to say "please show me a room with a lock on the door".

Bathroom is fine.
I wouldn't say I hate it it sounds nice if the person has a soft voice. I find (2) to be the most annoying part of a typical American accent, it got a kinda nasal sound to it, like the a is kinda tensed sometimes. Like Americans can't differentiate between "Marry" and "Mary" for example. Something important here though, the guy is from Minnesoooota that's a strong accent region, did he sound like this? Pretty sure they known for their goofy accents.

https://youtu.be/u4Je2WxsqWA?t=22s
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jas19
I live on the South coast of England, I have neither a posh accent nor a chavvy accent. I have a standard English accent. I used to like the American accent, but now it does my head in a bit. I'm talking to an American guy on Snapchat and instead of messaging me, he talks to me to me through videos. I think he is from Minnesota. It always sounds like Americans are trying to advertise a product. It sounds really patronising and informal to me. The six main reasons I can't stand it is because:

1) They exaggerate 'o' sounds which ought to be short. E.g. instead of saying 'God' which should take less than 3/4 of a second, they say 'Gaaahhhd' which takes at least 3/4 of a second to a whole second. This is cheesy and unnecessary.

2)Instead of saying bath using the 'a' sound which is in the word 'card' they use the 'a' sound in the word 'cat'. I can't stand Northern British accents for this reason, and I would love to watch Coronation Street and Emmerdale, the storylines are decent apart from the crap acting in these soaps, but the accents drive me insane.

3) They ask to go to the 'bathroom' or 'restroom' in order to use the toilet, thus taking the word 'bath' out of context. If you need a 'bath' than ask where the 'bathroom' is, if you need a poo or a wee then ask where the 'toilet' is, if you need a rest then go lie down in your 'bedroom' at home. There is no bath inside public toilets and there's no need to be ashamed about a natural bodily function. I know this is a critique of cultural customs, rather than the accent itself, but the accent annoys me by mere association of this cultural custom, because it doesn't make sense.

4) They fail to pronounce the 't' sound properly. E.g. When they say 'butter' it sounds like they are saying 'budder', with very soft 'd' pronunciation. There is a difference between 't' and 'd', which is why they are two separate letters in the 26-letter alphabet.

5) They sound like they are trying to advertise/convince you of what they are saying.

6) The American accent sounds informal because the 't's aren't pronounced properly, but yet serious at the same time because this accent exaggerates vowels ('Daaahhhwg' rather than 'dog':wink: which makes it appear as though American people are trying to be serious, or acting like what they are saying is important whilst also acting casual by not pronouncing the 't's properly. The accent contradicts itself.

The accents which have less exaggeration and don't sound as informal aren't bad though. The New York one is one of the least annoying ones.

Maybe I don't mind softer American accents, because I too have a sotfer English accent (in that mine is neither posh nor chavvy)?

US English has slightly different vowel sounds, though not all of them are as exaggerated as you seem to think.

Your dialect may have a broad "a" sound but that isn't always correct. "Bath" needn't have that broad a sound; I pronounce it half-way between - a long "a" rather than a broad one.

There is no correct, formal word for the lavatory. They are all euphamisms. They simply use a different one to us.

Many UK English speakers replace the voiceless alveolar plosive ("T") with a glottal stop; why aren't you complaining about this too?

So do you.

This isn't even a point, but a summary of what you have already said.

Frankly you are coming across as very bigoted and snobbish, which is far more pathetic than the Americans speaking with an accent based on out own rhotic, pre-Vowel Shift, accent.

Get the hell over yourself.
Reply 14
I understand. That's not wrong but different
As someone living in a non-english speaking country I do in fact imagine someone speaking with a slightly American accent when I think of someone speaking 'english' in general. Maybe it's because of all the American tv series I watch. 🤷*♀️
On a side note, is there such a thing as standard english?
I reckon American accents are better at stressing certain words, or can be used to draw importance to a word really well.

Honest though, the Kardashians accents put american accents in bad light man. Trust me, I don't know put there's something about their accents that's off putting. Maybe the nasal sound to it all.

"Oh my GOOOOOOOOOOOAWWWWWWWWWWWDDDD kylIEEEEEEEEEE"

"Hey guYSSSSSSSSSSS its kimMMMMM here, make sure to go on the kIDSSSSSSSSSS suplYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY and get the new cute HodIEEEEEEEESSS"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending