The Student Room Group

Masters loan used for living costs?

I'm about to finish the final year of my undergraduate degree and wanted to continue on to a master's degree. I just wanted to confirm some details about this loan with someone.

The £10000 loan that you can apply for to help pay with master's is paid directly to you, the website says that you can use it to pay for the tuition or living costs etc. Can I use the whole thing for living expenses and then add the tuition costs to my overall student debt? Or do I have to use this loan to pay the master's tuition immediately and then use the remainder for living costs?
Original post by MaelstromALPHA
I'm about to finish the final year of my undergraduate degree and wanted to continue on to a master's degree. I just wanted to confirm some details about this loan with someone.

The £10000 loan that you can apply for to help pay with master's is paid directly to you, the website says that you can use it to pay for the tuition or living costs etc. Can I use the whole thing for living expenses and then add the tuition costs to my overall student debt? Or do I have to use this loan to pay the master's tuition immediately and then use the remainder for living costs?

Hi MaelstromALPHA,

The Postgraduate Loan (PGL) is different than undergraduate support.

There is no separate loan for fees or living costs.

It is a contribution loan, not specifically for fees or living costs, it is paid directly into your bank account, in three instalments throughout the academic year, to help towards fees and living costs, you decide how you are going to use the money. The responsibility is with yourself to arrange to pay the fees with the university.

For academic year 2018/19 you can apply for a loan up to £10,609 over the duration of the course.

Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending