The Student Room Group

Warwick Accommodation Popularity

Hi, I'm going to choose Warwick university as my firm choice and have recently been looking into student accommodation. At the moment, my top five accommodation options are as follows:
1) Sherbourne
2) Lakeside
3) Jack Martin
4) Claycroft
5) Tocil
I will be studying the Modern Languages BA degree. I've done quite a bit of research on the accommodation options and have a few questions. I also considered Bluebell but have read that it's really unsociable, is this true?
Is the distance from Sherbourne and Lakeside a problem, and if you stay here, are your halls quiet/ sociable/ friendly/ unfriendly? I'm fairly quiet but have lively friends, and I don't want to be stuck in a really unsociable environment. I'm not a natural clubber, but don't mind going out once in a while, and would enjoy watching DVDs, playing games and generally having fun with my flatmates. I'm basically a fairly shy person who craves the middle ground, and I need outgoing friends to bring me out of my shell.
Is the 34 week let at Jack Martin a pain?
Please share your experiences with these accommodations or any other accommodation.
If you remember where you applied (and the order you put your accommodation choices in) and where you've ended up, please could you post that here, it would be really useful as I want to build up a picture of which halls are over/undersubscribed.
Or if you just have some reccommendations, I'd love to know.
Thanks
Reply 1
I've done quite a bit of research on the accommodation options and have a few questions. I also considered Bluebell but have read that it's really unsociable, is this true?
Depends. Some of my friends live in Bluebell, and they feel that it is very sociable. Other friends say that they feel isolated, and they tend to make friends with people on different floors/buildings.

Is the distance from Sherbourne and Lakeside a problem, and if you stay here, are your halls quiet/ sociable/ friendly/ unfriendly?
You'll be travelling from Sherbourne/Lakeside, to the Humanities Building near the Library. I wouldn't say that it is a long distance. However, you may feel that the distance gets tiring after a few weeks, but that's probably just me (I need to walk to Gibbet Hill every day).

I'm fairly quiet but have lively friends, and I don't want to be stuck in a really unsociable environment. I'm not a natural clubber, but don't mind going out once in a while, and would enjoy watching DVDs, playing games and generally having fun with my flatmates. I'm basically a fairly shy person who craves the middle ground, and I need outgoing friends to bring me out of my shell.
You'll be fine. You'll make a lot of friends with different personalities/hobbies if you're open and sociable.

Apparently so. The upcoming Easter Holiday (16th Mar - 26th April) means that people in a 34 week rent house need to move everything out. It's a hassle, especially given the fact that accumulate a lot of stuff during your first 2 terms here. It's only for the Easter Holiday though.

Please share your experiences with these accommodations or any other accommodation.

I don't go to any of these accommodations. However, they are all very close to the centre of the campus, and close to the humanities building.

If you remember where you applied (and the order you put your accommodation choices in) and where you've ended up, please could you post that here, it would be really useful as I want to build up a picture of which halls are over/undersubscribed.
I had Bluebell as my 1st choice, and I got it. However, I changed it with someone else as it was too expensive for me. A lot of people got their first choices, and a lot of people didn't. Really depends.

If I could change, I would have picked Sherbourne, Arthur Vick, Rootes, Cryfield, Lakeside (In that order).
Reply 2
Original post by Epitype
I've done quite a bit of research on the accommodation options and have a few questions. I also considered Bluebell but have read that it's really unsociable, is this true?
Depends. Some of my friends live in Bluebell, and they feel that it is very sociable. Other friends say that they feel isolated, and they tend to make friends with people on different floors/buildings.

Is the distance from Sherbourne and Lakeside a problem, and if you stay here, are your halls quiet/ sociable/ friendly/ unfriendly?
You'll be travelling from Sherbourne/Lakeside, to the Humanities Building near the Library. I wouldn't say that it is a long distance. However, you may feel that the distance gets tiring after a few weeks, but that's probably just me (I need to walk to Gibbet Hill every day).

I'm fairly quiet but have lively friends, and I don't want to be stuck in a really unsociable environment. I'm not a natural clubber, but don't mind going out once in a while, and would enjoy watching DVDs, playing games and generally having fun with my flatmates. I'm basically a fairly shy person who craves the middle ground, and I need outgoing friends to bring me out of my shell.
You'll be fine. You'll make a lot of friends with different personalities/hobbies if you're open and sociable.

Apparently so. The upcoming Easter Holiday (16th Mar - 26th April) means that people in a 34 week rent house need to move everything out. It's a hassle, especially given the fact that accumulate a lot of stuff during your first 2 terms here. It's only for the Easter Holiday though.

I don't go to any of these accommodations. However, they are all very close to the centre of the campus, and close to the humanities building.

I had Bluebell as my 1st choice, and I got it. However, I changed it with someone else as it was too expensive for me. A lot of people got their first choices, and a lot of people didn't. Really depends.

If I could change, I would have picked Sherbourne, Arthur Vick, Rootes, Cryfield, Lakeside (In that order).

Thank you, your post is very informative. Where do you stay now (if you don't mind me asking)? Did you swap immediately or stay for any length of time in Bluebell? Also, why would you choose Sherbourne as your first choice and Lakeside as your fifth?
Reply 3
Original post by Nooglepop
Thank you, your post is very informative. Where do you stay now (if you don't mind me asking)? Did you swap immediately or stay for any length of time in Bluebell? Also, why would you choose Sherbourne as your first choice and Lakeside as your fifth?

I swapped before the term started, so I didn't stay in Bluebell. I'd pick Sherbourne because it modern, en-suite, not too expensive, in a very nice area, I know a few people on my course that go to Sherbourne, it has shuttle bus links to Gibbet Hill/post room/etc. All the other accommodations are either expensive, or I'm not a fan of them. I'd just put Lakeside there to fill in the space. I wouldn't mind getting it, but it's not one of my top choices. It has everything Sherbourne has, except that it's a little bit older, and not right next to the Shuttle Bus stop.
Sherbourne and Rootes would definitely be my top 2 choices though, if I were to reapply.
Forgot to mention, I swapped to Redfern. It's a bit ****, but it's only for a year, it cheap and it has some cool people.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Epitype
I swapped before the term started, so I didn't stay in Bluebell. I'd pick Sherbourne because it modern, en-suite, not too expensive, in a very nice area, I know a few people on my course that go to Sherbourne, it has shuttle bus links to Gibbet Hill/post room/etc. All the other accommodations are either expensive, or I'm not a fan of them. I'd just put Lakeside there to fill in the space. I wouldn't mind getting it, but it's not one of my top choices. It has everything Sherbourne has, except that it's a little bit older, and not right next to the Shuttle Bus stop.
Sherbourne and Rootes would definitely be my top 2 choices though, if I were to reapply.
Forgot to mention, I swapped to Redfern. It's a bit ****, but it's only for a year, it cheap and it has some cool people.

Thank you :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending