The Student Room Group

Recieved all my offers...can I change courses?

So I've received all my offers, and I am questioning whether I made the right choice, I'm considering waiting until results, but what is the likelihood of getting on to a good course through adjustment or clearing (the likes of Management or something similar; with A Levels in humanities subjects).

Any advice? I don't want to spend 3-4 years doing a degree with a decreased chance of getting a well-paid job afterwards.
(edited 6 years ago)
I applied for Marine Biology at Southampton, firmed it, then realised I’d made a mistake and wanted to do biomedical science (I applied for 5 marine bio courses) I contacted admissions and they transferred me to Biomed, my UCAS now says that is my firm choice. So it is possible to do it before hand and I know that I have a few friends in the year above who were able to switch course once they enrolled (internally). However, I think it depends on the university.

In terms of clearing, if you meet he conditions of your offer you are expected to enrol unless you ask for release from that course which can take some time, so places may have gone by then possibly. Adjustment is also similar and last year many top unis were offering places as courses aren’t filling like they previously were.

I’d recommend you really think through what you want to change to and if it will help you, most importantly that you will enjoy what you’d be studying. All the best :smile:
Original post by cxr14
So I've received all my offers, and I am questioning whether I made the right choice, I'm considering waiting until results, but what is the likelihood of getting on to a good course through adjustment or clearing (the likes of Management or something similar; with A Levels in humanities subjects).

Any advice? I don't want to spend 3-4 years doing a degree with a decreased chance of getting a well-paid job afterwards.

You could ask the unis if they will consider transfering your place to another course. This is more likely if the courses are similar, and the course you want to transfer to isn't super popular.

If you've applied for something very different, you will probably get more of a chance to justify your change of heart now than in adjustment or clearing.

Adjustment is only available if you exceed your firm offer- is this likely? Otherwise, you need to be released into clearing. It's best to do this before results day to avoid delays and missing the place you really want.

Do you like the unis you currently have places at?
Reply 3
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You could ask the unis if they will consider transfering your place to another course. This is more likely if the courses are similar, and the course you want to transfer to isn't super popular.

If you've applied for something very different, you will probably get more of a chance to justify your change of heart now than in adjustment or clearing.

Adjustment is only available if you exceed your firm offer- is this likely? Otherwise, you need to be released into clearing. It's best to do this before results day to avoid delays and missing the place you really want.

Do you like the unis you currently have places at?

The course I want to change from is English, so there's quite a difference and I don't really have the most relevant A Levels for management (no Maths/Econ)

Some of the Unis are Russell Groups; one of them I definitely like and the other I'm indifferent about. I can't really decipher whether I'd exceed my firm offer - I'm likely to meet it but exceeding it would depend on how the exams go I guess.
Original post by cxr14
The course I want to change from is English, so there's quite a difference and I don't really have the most relevant A Levels for management (no Maths/Econ)

Some of the Unis are Russell Groups; one of them I definitely like and the other I'm indifferent about. I can't really decipher whether I'd exceed my firm offer - I'm likely to meet it but exceeding it would depend on how the exams go I guess.

Maths is overkill for management and econ can be taught easily in university.

If you ask for a transfer I'm sure you'll get it
Original post by cxr14

You could ask them. The worst they can say is no- they can't withdraw your existing offers. However, the courses will be within different faculties, so you'll have a different admissions tutor to impress. You'll need a compelling reason for wanting to make the switch not "I want to earn more money".
Reply 6
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You could ask them. The worst they can say is no- they can't withdraw your existing offers. However, the courses will be within different faculties, so you'll have a different admissions tutor to impress. You'll need a compelling reason for wanting to make the switch not "I want to earn more money".

To be honest, before applying I was trying to decide between the two, but since I've realised both are relevant for my career aspirations , I might do some further research to be sure this is what I really want but thank you for the insight :smile:

Would going to the offer holder days be leaving it too late?
Original post by cxr14
To be honest, before applying I was trying to decide between the two, but since I've realised both are relevant for my career aspirations , I might do some further research to be sure this is what I really want but thank you for the insight :smile:

Would going to the offer holder days be leaving it too late?

I'd say the sooner the better- what you want is to catch the admissions tutor worrying he isn't going to have enough people on his course in September. I would guess that by April/May, they will have a much firmer idea of numbers.

However, it's going to be a long shot either way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending