The Student Room Group

Is Foundation Year worth it? (Engineering course) (EEE) (Year 1 vs Year 0)

Currently, I am trying to make a decision on my offers and struggling on what to choose as my first choice on the offers. I got offered by university of Southampton and university of Surrey for an Electrical & Electronics Engineering course (EEE), however, I am in a dilemma because

University of Southampton offered me : Foundation year (year 0) and
University of Surrey: (year 1)

My questions now are,
1. Should I "waste" a year in foundation? Is it a waste?
2. Is it worth it and why?

My pros and cons of foundation year in university of Southampton

Pros:
- Able to work part-time (Experience)
- More free time to spent on learning new things such as coding and further develop my skills of my hobbies (piano, guitar, basketball)
- Able to explore more and learning about myself more on to what I like and not (self development)
- better connection (because uni in Russell group)
- more prestige in terms of engineering especially in EEE, hence, "better" diploma (don't really know if its true. Any Engineer graduates which can can answer this that would be helpful)
- I like the optional and normal modules much more compare to university of Surrey's modules

Cons:
- Money (extra year)
- 90% of modules of foundation learnt in IB diploma (hence, won't be learning anything new)
- potentially can be considered a "waste" where I could just go straight in 1st year in university of Surrey and graduate and then do the same thing as to what I want to do in foundation such (self development)(Experiences in work)(have time for learning new things and further improve on my hobbies)
Reply 1
was going to ask this aswell got a foundation offer at southampton for computer science and year 1 offer at lancaster and i dont know what to do
Reply 2
Original post by 19-99
was going to ask this aswell got a foundation offer at southampton for computer science and year 1 offer at lancaster and i dont know what to do

Yeah man such a hard decision to make, I have been internally debating this for 4 months and still do not know what's a better choice. Initially, I chose Southampton because the modules that they offer fits me more but then everybody told me it would be a waste of a year and could be spending that year Working and getting Engineering experience then I switched back to taking Surrey as a first choice as it was near London where my brother is currently living and Surrey's campus just looks awesome. Now I am back to square 1 and stuck on what decision to make.

I guess my need is an answer if it is worth it to get a degree from Southampton for the extra year or spent that year after graduating in Surrey working in an Engineering industry. What's your opinion on this?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Yeah thanks, I don't really think foundation year is that hard, I checked the modules and its aim and outcomes, most of it I have already been taught and learned, getting the grades won't be a problem for me but yeah that extra year probably wont be that good compare to actual skills that u can learn from being in the industry for that year would be super valuable.

BTW what course did u get an offer from Southampton?
Reply 4
Yeah thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending