The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan

Hey,I am a EU national and have been in UK for three and a half years,and have applied to study in September.Will I be eligible for a maintenance loan?
Original post by artis03
Hey,I am a EU national and have been in UK for three and a half years,and have applied to study in September.Will I be eligible for a maintenance loan?

Hi artis03,

Just need to ask a few questions.

Are you working? or are you living with a spouse or partner that is working?

Thanks

Catherine
Reply 2
Original post by Catherine SFE
Hi artis03,

Just need to ask a few questions.

Are you working? or are you living with a spouse or partner that is working?

Thanks

Catherine

Hi Catherine,

Yes I am working.
Original post by artis03
Hi Catherine,

Yes I am working.

Hi artis03,

To get a maintenance loan you can apply as a migrant worker, you can apply for this online or complete a PN1 application form, you will be required to send in evidence.

Employed

The students original Passport or National ID Card

Croatian Nationals Only - Migrant Worker’s Permit (yellow/blue or purple card)

A copy of the students contract of employment that accurately represents their contracted hours and pay. We will also need a letter from the employer confirming the contract accurately represents the hours and terms of which the student works if this is not confirmed on their contract of employment or if the student is on a zero hour contract. This letter needs to be signed by a member of the Human Resources Department or their Manager (we may verify the students employment status with their employer)

The students last 3 months payslips (if available)

The students most recent P60 (if available)

Termly evidence

Self Employed

Evidence that the student is registered self employed with HMRC (can accept UTR letter)

The students last 3 months invoices and corresponding bank statements (if available)

The students last 3 months business expenditure (if available)

The students most recent tax return (if available)

Termly evidence

Thanks

Catherine
Reply 4
Hi artis03,

To get a maintenance loan you can apply as a migrant worker, you can apply for this online or complete a PN1 application form, you will be required to send in evidence.

Employed

A copy of the students contract of employment that accurately represents their contracted hours and pay. We will also need a letter from the employer confirming the contract accurately represents the hours and terms of which the student works if this is not confirmed on their contract of employment or if the student is on a zero hour contract. This letter needs to be signed by a member of the Human Resources Department or their Manager (we may verify the students employment status with their employer)

The students last 3 months payslips (if available)

The students most recent P60 (if available)

Termly evidence

Self Employed

Evidence that the student is registered self employed with HMRC (can accept UTR letter)

The students last 3 months invoices and corresponding bank statements (if available)

The students last 3 months business expenditure (if available)

The students most recent tax return (if available)

Termly evidence

Thanks

Catherine

Hi,

How can I apply for it online?? and also i am applying for tution loans but I am using the EU18N form so can I apply for tution loans on the EU18N form and the maintenance loan on the PN1 form or is it going to clash? Also i couldn't find the PN1 form for 18/19.

Thank you
artis03
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by artis03
Hi,

How can I apply for it online?? and also i am applying for tution loans but I am using the EU18N form so can I apply for tution loans on the EU18N form and the maintenance loan on the PN1 form or is it going to clash? Also i couldn't find the PN1 form for 18/19.

Thank you
artis03

Hi artis03,

If you are applying as a Migrant Worker then you complete the application online as normal and not an EU application, you can log in and apply online or complete the PN1 application form.

PN1 - http://bit.ly/2H8DT5g

Thanks

Catherine
Reply 6
Hi artis03,

If you are applying as a Migrant Worker then you complete the application online as normal and not an EU application, you can log in and apply online or complete the PN1 application form.

PN1 - http://bit.ly/2H8DT5g

Thanks

Catherine

Hey Catherine,

What are the criteria's that i have to meet in order to apply as a migrant worker?

Thank you
artis03
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by artis03
Hey Catherine,

What are the criteria's that i have to meet in order to apply as a migrant worker?

Thank you
artis03

Hi artis03,

To be assessed as a Migrant Worker you do not need to meet the five year residency requirement in the UK, the EEA Migrant Worker team assess students who do not meet the required standard core eligibility requirements but the student or their EU/EEA family member are working in the UK.

EU/EEA or Swiss National (or family member of)

Lawfully resident in the EU/EEA for at least 3 years prior to the start of their course

Ordinary resident in England or Wales on the first day of the first academic year of their course

They/their spouse/civil partner/their parent/step parent/grandparent/Child or grandchild must be working throughout the students studies

Thanks Rona
Reply 8
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi artis03,

To be assessed as a Migrant Worker you do not need to meet the five year residency requirement in the UK, the EEA Migrant Worker team assess students who do not meet the required standard core eligibility requirements but the student or their EU/EEA family member are working in the UK.

EU/EEA or Swiss National (or family member of)

Lawfully resident in the EU/EEA for at least 3 years prior to the start of their course

Ordinary resident in England or Wales on the first day of the first academic year of their course

They/their spouse/civil partner/their parent/step parent/grandparent/Child or grandchild must be working throughout the students studies

Thanks Rona

Hey Rona

I was filling out the PN1 form and noticed that there is nothing to do with my work.But when I had called student finance I was told to send my Work Contract and don't know how this is going to link.As to on the form everything is about my parents and their income.??

Also when you say lawful resident in the EU. I lived in UK from June 2014 and then the Brexit happened in June 2016 so that means i have been a resident of EU for only two years.And before that i Lived in India but have a Portuguese passport and Dont know if this is going to affect me??? Please HELPPPPP!!!

Thank You
artis03
Original post by artis03
Hey Rona

I was filling out the PN1 form and noticed that there is nothing to do with my work.But when I had called student finance I was told to send my Work Contract and don't know how this is going to link.As to on the form everything is about my parents and their income.??

Also when you say lawful resident in the EU. I lived in UK from June 2014 and then the Brexit happened in June 2016 so that means i have been a resident of EU for only two years.And before that i Lived in India but have a Portuguese passport and Dont know if this is going to affect me??? Please HELPPPPP!!!

Thank You
artis03

Hi Artis03,

When applying for student finance, an account is created with a customer reference number, your application and any evidence will be linked to this account. When applying as a migrant worker, the evidence is requested after you've applied. When you're sending evidence, just make sure you include your name and customer reference number and it will be linked to your account.

if you've been in the UK since 2014, this is still classed as being resident in the EU/UK, Brexit won't affect this as it stands. So this means you've been resident in the EU/UK for the passed 4 years.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
Original post by artis03
Hey Rona

Thank You
artis03

Hi artis03,

On the PN1 application form, Section 3, Residence question b1 asks,
If you are currently working, are you going to continue working during your studies? Yes No If ‘Yes’, please give details.

The way you answer that question will indicate to the assessors that although you do not meet the five year residency requirement, you may be eligible as a Migrant Worker.

If you are under 25 years old and accepted as a Migrant Worker, we will calculate your entitlement for the Maintenance Loan, based on your parents household income, so they should provide their financial information.

Regarding the terminology "Lawfully resident in the EU/EEA for at least 3 years prior to the start of their course", you can be confident that Brexit has not changed anything.

In order for students to be eligible as a Migrant Worker, they are not only required to meet the standard 3 years residency, they must also be ordinary resident in England or Wales on the first day of the first academic year of their course.

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending