The Student Room Group

I feel estranged from my family?

I'm having some real issues with my family, I'm 20 and I live at home. I love my family so much, I really do. But I feel they don't value me as a person or a daughter.
I had some issues last year, when i was kicked out for six weeks. I had an argument with my brother after repeatedly bullying me and criticising me, he would continuously tell me I was fat (I'm a size 8). it went on for months and then one day I found food I had bought had 'fat *****', 'disgusting' and other names written on the packets in black marker. I really found it so hard, weight became a sudden issue and I have never felt i have had any real body confidence since. After having a confrontation with him about this, my mum said i was 'difficult' and kicked me out of the house. I sofa-surfed for six weeks after until my dad eventually apologised.
My mum has very severe mood swings, she has accused almost everyone and their dog from 'stealing from her', my dad's work colleagues, my uncle, me, etc. She can be very erratic and often I find it hard to deal with her. She often accuses me of stealing from her by not paying enough rent towards her, and again threatens to kick me out. She has no tolerance of people in the house in case they take things and is very unsociable. She regularly accuses my dad of cheating, even though he is a very honest loving man.
I think I am struggling today because my parents went away for four weeks and have come back today. I missed them so much, I was ready to give them a big hug and talk about their time away. Sadly my mum was in a crazy mood again, so hasn't spoken to me since they've been home. She's accused me of leaving the house in a state (which it really wasn't), and has even completely cleaned the rooms I had not once been in since they went away, accusing me of leaving mess.

I so badly would like a family that does not reject me or almost force me away? I feel confused because they are my family so should love me, but I feel completely driven away?
If I was in your situ and had it in me, I'd be trying to break away from all that.
Reply 2
I want to, I am saving so hard to get my own place...maybe the best thing to do is give up on them
Work hard, move out, try and get back on good terms with your family or trust me it'll effect you for the rest of your life

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending