The Student Room Group

if I get all the grades necessary, does one of my five uni choices have to accept me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
A key skill for any legal discussion is identifying when you are losing and to negotiate a better outcome for the client.
Reply 81
Original post by Gregor99
Just letting you know 3 A levels in one year will probably be very hard.

A levels are 1 year, the only reason it would be 2 years is if you do AS which is no longer mandatory.

Still no picnic!

The Cambridge stat could could include those who have A-Levels too, though. As Access would be the highest as well as A-Level. Alas, the inherent ambiguity of FOI requests and responses. But as I posted above, the most recent BA Law stats show 0% Access.
Original post by Efron
A levels are 1 year, the only reason it would be 2 years is if you do AS which is no longer mandatory.

A-levels are normally 2 year courses.
The AS exam has been taken out but all content is still examined that would normally be in an AS exam.
An example is in Biology A level the first topic you learn that could be examined in AS is carbohydrates. With the new linear system this topic can still appear in the final exam.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Efron

A Levels are a two year course, there is two years of content to cover. AS Levels are just when you've covered half the content (so year one) however you are then tested on this again for the A Level exams. So you will have to learn 2 years of content in one year.
Original post by Efron
Aproximately 6 as an access course is the equivalent of 3 A levels, access courses are not lower by any means, Universitys do not look at the ucas points and peaple have gone to Oxford and Cambridge with an access course alone, or having a btec level 3 extended diploma alone.

Access course is NOT equivalent to A Levels. A Levels score higher in the method the unis use to select student to make offers. And Universities do look at UCAS points.

Access/BTEC are usually for those students who are want to go uni but haven't got A Levels, or who have low scores or even failed all of them.

I know someone who went to Cambridge to do Economics - he's straight A*s in 10 GCSES and A* in 5 A Levels. The dude eventually finished up with a PhD.

Could you name people you know who've got into Oxford/Cambridge with only Access course/BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma alone?
Original post by Doonesbury
@Notoriety

Oxford Access HE offers (and acceptances) between 2011 and 2016 without any other Level 3 qualification = zero
(This is for the entire university, not specifically Law)

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 18.51.59.jpg

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/how_many_students_have_been_acce#incoming-890633

The Stats nerd in me likes this :wink:

Oxford/Cambridge have rejected folks with tops grades in everything due to the large number of application they get so it's not surprising that Access course students are unlikely to get in.
Reply 87
Original post by Efron

Oh dear, you really haven't done your research on this at all have you?!

A linear A-level *is* a 2 year course, unless you are doing an accelerated course which will cover 2 years of content in 1 year and is therefore, by your early discussion, more difficult...

In general:
Cambridge is "better" for access (particularly from mature students - they've even got the late deadline to accommodate in year applications whereas the only way it'd work for oxford is applying post results as the OP seems to want), Oxford are better for BTECs (as in they actually accept them...).

Level 3+ means A levels or higher qualifications, FE funding rules would make it tricky to go from an Access diploma to then study A levels (although I'm surprised that OP hasn't had to take GCSE maths and english alongside their Access diploma - that's a requirement of FE funding to either have them or to be studying towards them).

I'd still personally steer OP away from A levels AFTER an Access diploma - Oxford recommend A levels alongside to meet subject requirements (so not necessary for law). It does demonstrate a lack of progression to go from level 3 to more level 3 and an emphasis on breadth over depth (equivalent to 6 A levels isn't considered "better" by Oxford - they want quality not quantity). They welcome OU applicants studying for 120 points at level 1 for entry into first year, it'd be better for funding and allow OP to demonstrate an upwards progression (and depending on compatability would allow them to enter into yr 2 for less competitive law degrees - so if the "dream" doesn't work out they wouldn't have wasted another year chasing it by re-treading level 3 study).
Reply 89
Original post by PQ
I'd still personally steer OP away from A levels AFTER an Access diploma - Oxford recommend A levels alongside to meet subject requirements (so not necessary for law). It does demonstrate a lack of progression to go from level 3 to more level 3 and an emphasis on breadth over depth (equivalent to 6 A levels isn't considered "better" by Oxford - they want quality not quantity). They welcome OU applicants studying for 120 points at level 1 for entry into first year, it'd be better for funding and allow OP to demonstrate an upwards progression (and depending on compatability would allow them to enter into yr 2 for less competitive law degrees - so if the "dream" doesn't work out they wouldn't have wasted another year chasing it by re-treading level 3 study).

Noted. :smile:

Please pay close attention @Efron. PQ is extremely experienced on university admissions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
There is absolutely NO POINT in doing 3 accelerated A-Levels in September. 1, yes. 3, no. Because

1) You've done an access course the 'equivalent' to 3 A-levels
2) A-Levels are harder than an access course. Let alone accelerate A-levels. You will not cope, whether you enjoy it or not.
3) Universities will consider an Access Course alone or an Access Course combined with 1 or 2 A-Levels. But not combined with 3. They'll probably just consider the 3 A-Levels as that's all that is needed for entry. --- For example, I did AS levels before doing a BTEC to get myself into a Film Production course. I HAD to declare my AS Level grades, but it was my diploma grades that were considered.

Basically it is quality over quantity.
Original post by Notoriety
A-Levels are harder than Access in terms of content. The problem with Access is that to max out on distinctions really only shows you're an AAA student (going off UCAS equiv, and really it's more BBB in terms of actual content).

Really - I didn't realise you were an expert on level 3 qualifications? UCAS QIP (ie an assessment of the depth and breadth and level of the qualifications) has Access as level with SCQF level 6 and 7 (SCQF Level 7 sits across Levels 3 and 4 in England, Northern Ireland and Wales. - so higher than A levels in terms of difficulty/content). A levels and Highers are squarely considered to be SCQF level 6.

There's plenty of reasons to be sceptical of the OPs chance of success - implying that Access is a worse preparation for university than A levels isn't one. You might know applicants that haven't been successful (and the particular set up of applications at Oxford makes success with any 1 year qualification an extreme long shot - hence the crap acceptance rates) - but that's a flaw with Oxford's admissions process rather than with Access diplomas themselves. I'm sure they miss out on dozens of students who would thrive on their courses each year (you've probably known some)...but that's their loss.
If OP is just going to Westminster anyway, the blindness of the Access prediction won't matter. Firstly, Westminster is not competitive. Secondly, they'd likely have all their Access grades in by Clearing.

In which case why advise OP to take 1-2 intensive A levels in a year after an Access diploma?
Their access diploma would get them into Westminster without any other qualifications and Oxford only advise concurrent A levels to meet subject requirements. With 120 credits from the OU LLB the OP could well get into yr 2 at Westminster (compatability dependent obviously) and avoid them wasting an unecessary year studying A levels that aren't required for their backup choice and aren't recommended by their "dream" choice.
Reply 92
Original post by PQ
Their access diploma would get them into Westminster without any other qualifications and Oxford only advise concurrent A levels to meet subject requirements. With 120 credits from the OU LLB the OP could well get into yr 2 at Westminster (compatability dependent obviously) and avoid them wasting an unecessary year studying A levels that aren't required for their backup choice and aren't recommended by their "dream" choice.

Yes it's frustrating OP hasn't replied to my specific recommendation that they apply now using their AccessHE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes it's frustrating OP hasn't replied to my specific recommendation that they apply now using their AccessHE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a good suggestion - it'd give them some experience of the UCAS process and feedback on their application in the worst case and a guaranteed backup in the best case (especially if OP isn't successful in nailing distinctions in all their Access credits - which would put the other aspirational choices off the table completely). Plus even if they withdrew and reapplied they'd be on Westminsters radar as an engaged applicant.

It's a win - win option and well worth the ~£20 to apply.
Original post by Efron

A single A level has a Guided learning time of 360 hours. Over 9 months (Sept - June excluding holidays) that's ~ 10 hours a week MINIMUM. 3 A levels would be 30 hours a week study (excluding any "notional" independent study - ie homework/revision - to get more than an average grade). So manageable but intensive with no time for any job or social life. Especially if you add on 2 GCSEs (that you'd need to get top grades in)...

And for what benefit? It isn't recommended or attractive to universities - admission to universities isn't a case of racking up tariff points like XP until you can level up to an offer, it's about demonstrating that you're capable of thriving on the course and suitable for the learning environment at that university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I’m 90% sure they’re trolling, or very stubborn. Advice seems to bounce off them rather than sink in, even when people are trying to help.

Also smells a bit like that “Lolzo” character, when they made troll posts pretending to be a gcse student who got bad grades but acted like they would get into medicine easily..... (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5176614#primary_content )

But i’m just conspiracy theorising here.
Reply 96
Original post by cat_mac
I’m 90% sure they’re trolling, or very stubborn. Advice seems to bounce off them rather than sink in, even when people are trying to help.

Also smells a bit like that “Lolzo” character, when they made troll posts pretending to be a gcse student who got bad grades but acted like they would get into medicine easily..... (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5176614#primary_content )

But i’m just conspiracy theorising here.

The 1 year A-level thing in particular has raised significant alarm bells...
The 1 year A-level thing in particular has raised significant alarm bells...

And claiming they could easily do 3 A-levels in six months, I’m hoping it’s a troll and there isn’t a person that deluded walking around.
Reply 98
Original post by cat_mac
And claiming they could easily do 3 A-levels in six months, I’m hoping it’s a troll and there isn’t a person that deluded walking around.

Well they seemed to think they didn't have to do the AS content... or are trolling.
Original post by PQ
Really - I didn't realise you were an expert on level 3 qualifications? UCAS QIP (ie an assessment of the depth and breadth and level of the qualifications) has Access as level with SCQF level 6 and 7 (SCQF Level 7 sits across Levels 3 and 4 in England, Northern Ireland and Wales. - so higher than A levels in terms of difficulty/content). A levels and Highers are squarely considered to be SCQF level 6.

There's plenty of reasons to be sceptical of the OPs chance of success - implying that Access is a worse preparation for university than A levels isn't one. You might know applicants that haven't been successful (and the particular set up of applications at Oxford makes success with any 1 year qualification an extreme long shot - hence the crap acceptance rates) - but that's a flaw with Oxford's admissions process rather than with Access diplomas themselves. I'm sure they miss out on dozens of students who would thrive on their courses each year (you've probably known some)...but that's their loss.

In which case why advise OP to take 1-2 intensive A levels in a year after an Access diploma?

It is one thing for Uni X to accept Access. It is another thing for them to be sufficiently impressed by it. If you look at my point, it is systemic across all top law courses. Durham is 0%; UCL is 1%; LSE is 0%; KCL is 0%; highly understanding Bristol is 1%; Warwick is 1%.

As for the difficulty, I do some stuff with the local FE. We have people on EEE from A-Level get 45 at distinction just a year later. We have people who fail pre-Access maths and English, and have to resit while completing Access, end up with 45 at distinction! (And OP on distinctions, by the looks of it.) I wonder why. There is a lot of regional variation which they tried to do away with in 2014-2015, but they were ultimately unsuccessful.

In fact, I have seen the course get easier through the years as course leaders are pressured to keep the number of students getting into unis high as possible. They sacrifice proper marking practices in order to manage it. At one point, 1.5% of Access students were sitting on all distinctions ... not the case now.

EVs rarely challenge any marking decisions. Work is often resubmitted without being capped. The content is incredibly superficial. Some of ours did a bio on someone from WWI, and the sole assessment criteria was communication and autonomy. People were getting distinctions though their work was copied off Wikipedia, no literature references, grammar errors all over the shop, no analysis. Now I don't know why UCAS has it at level 7 -- maybe because referencing is typically used in assignments and that's more HE-y.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending