The Student Room Group

Year 10 mocks help

My GCSE Year 10 mocks are in may, so when and how should I start revising?

I know year 10 mocks aren’t THAT important but i would still like to do well, so how many weeks should I leave for revision do you think?

The main subjects that i’m worried about are:
English
Spanish
History

What are some good ways to revise for those subjects in particular? Thanks
@elizabethlau

I'd say you should start now. That way, you can do your revision with ease instead of rushing it all. :smile:
How do you feel you revise best in general? You could try adopting some of those techniques.
English - I think that notes on key areas of the texts you've studied will be useful. Some people find it useful to note down key vocab and phrases they want to remember. I'd definitely recommend watching Mr Bruff videos. Try remembering some quotes, especially for any closed book exams.
Spanish - go over key vocab and write out conjugations and practice the verb endings and plurals etc. Writing out phrases and paragraphs from memory or using a dictionary should help practice your grammar and sentence structure.
History - Storyboards can be hepful for remembering orders of events. I tended to do spider diagrams that went clockwise in chronological order. Explaining key events and the advantages/disadvantages of certain changes and ideas introduced to someone could help improve your understanding

With all subjects, I'd recommend doing lots of exam question practice! :smile:
Original post by Matrix123
@elizabethlau

I'd say you should start now. That way, you can do your revision with ease instead of rushing it all. :smile:
How do you feel you revise best in general? You could try adopting some of those techniques.
English - I think that notes on key areas of the texts you've studied will be useful. Some people find it useful to note down key vocab and phrases they want to remember. I'd definitely recommend watching Mr Bruff videos. Try remembering some quotes, especially for any closed book exams.
Spanish - go over key vocab and write out conjugations and practice the verb endings and plurals etc. Writing out phrases and paragraphs from memory or using a dictionary should help practice your grammar and sentence structure.
History - Storyboards can be hepful for remembering orders of events. I tended to do spider diagrams that went clockwise in chronological order. Explaining key events and the advantages/disadvantages of certain changes and ideas introduced to someone could help improve your understanding

With all subjects, I'd recommend doing lots of exam question practice! :smile:

Thank you, that sounds great.

How many hours a day do you reckon I should start off with? Obviously I have to be able to cover everything but i don’t want to overwork.
I'm in the same year too. Everyone's got a different way of revising to be fair but I'll share my way of revising. I use colours, flashcards and repetition to remember keywords for subjects that require lots of writing. Then I use mathsgenie to print out worksheets and past papers to consolidate and recap topics in maths. I spent about an hour for each subject and a 20 minute break to relieve stress.
Original post by elizabethlau
Thank you, that sounds great.

How many hours a day do you reckon I should start off with? Obviously I have to be able to cover everything but i don’t want to overwork.

No problem :smile:

It honestly depends on how many minutes you can handle without a break. If you get stressed easily, as I do, then it could be worth revising with very regular breaks. If that isn't the case, then the general rule of thumb is about 50 minutes of revision with 10 minutes of break. Assuming your mocks start when teh year 11 exams start, that gives you about 10 weeks. How many subjects are you doing? You could probably go for about 2 hours (with the 50min revision then 10min break pattern, or something else that works for you) on school days then 4 at the weekend? This also depends on how well you think you are doing in each subject. I'd recommend you give yourself enought time to go over everyhting you've covered at least once, then extra hours for the areas you really want to get more practice with. :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending