The Student Room Group

why is London Met so poorly regarded

Good Morning, I have now received decisions from all of my choices to study Architecture
UCL - Rejected
Newcastle - ABB
Reading - ABB
London Met - ABC
Portsmouth - Unconditional

I have decided to firm Reading since it is the one I like the most as well as being one of the best universities for architecture in the world. This means that I have to insure either Portsmouth or London Met. after visiting both of them, I really like London Met's architecture department (the Cass school of Architecture) and I have informed myself by calling architectural brands and they have all told me that the Cass Arch is a great place to study Architecture. Despite the university that owns them, they constantly appear in top 100 architecture schools in Europe/World.
I am not from London or the UK so I was hoping anyone that knows a bit about the university could tell me about it? :smile:
I wanted to know why the uni in general is so poorly regarded.
would having studied at London Met will have a negative connotation despite it having good school of architecture?
I plan on doing a postfraduate degree as well, does the fact that I studied in London Met will be less attractive at better ranked unis even if I get a good grade?
Will it look bad to some architectural brands?
should I insure Portsmouth instead despite its architecture department not being well known?
Thank you very much for your time.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by yag123
Good Morning, I have now received decisions from all of my choices to study Architecture
UCL - Rejected
Newcastle - ABB
Reading - ABB
London Met - ABC

I have decided to firm Reading since it is the one I like the most as well as being one of the best universities for architecture in the world. This means that I have to insure either Portsmouth or London Met. after visiting both of them, I really like London Met's architecture department (the Cass school of Architecture) and I have informed myself by calling architectural brands and they have all told me that the Cass Arch is a great place to study Architecture. Despite the university that owns them, they constantly appear in top 100 architecture schools in Europe/World.
I am not from London or the UK so I was hoping anyone that knows a bit about the university could tell me about it? :smile:
would having studied at London Met will have a negative connotation despite it having good school of architecture?
I plan on doing a postfraduate degree as well, does the fact that I studied in London Met will be less attractive at better ranked unis even if I get a good grade?
should I insure Portsmouth instead despite its architecture department not being well known?

The poor "regard" is primarily among sixth formers on TSR who haven't been to university. If you like the course then insure it.

It won't affect your chances for postgrad.

Also: https://www.architectural-review.com/buildings/london-schools-part-three-london-metropolitan-by-aru/8648277.article
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by yag123
UCL - Rejected
Newcastle - ABB
Reading - ABB
London Met - ABC

From what I have seen on here it’s due to the other students there and the standards of teaching there. Obviously that’s course specific, some might be great in terms of teaching standards but the general consensus was that it was very uncared for and people were not there for the right reasons (easy entry grades, London living, nightlife, etc). I don’t know first hand though but I personally wouldn’t choose it - a universities bad reputation can drag down a degree a bit, especially if it is something so difficult as architecture but it’s your choice at the end of the day!
Reply 3
Original post by Lily048
From what I have seen on here it’s due to the other students there and the standards of teaching there. Obviously that’s course specific, some might be great in terms of teaching standards but the general consensus was that it was very uncared for and people were not there for the right reasons (easy entry grades, London living, nightlife, etc). I don’t know first hand though but I personally wouldn’t choose it - a universities bad reputation can drag down a degree a bit, especially if it is something so difficult as architecture but it’s your choice at the end of the day!

Oh, okay, thanks very much, you've really helped me :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lily048

Original post by yag123
Oh, okay, thanks very much, you've really helped me :smile:

And what are the satisfaction ratings like for the architecture course?
Answer, generally good:
https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/satisfaction/10004048FT-UDARCHIT/ReturnTo/Search
Original post by Doonesbury
The poor "regard" is primarily among sixth formers on TSR who haven't been to university. If you like the course then insure it.

Also: https://www.architectural-review.com/buildings/london-schools-part-three-london-metropolitan-by-aru/8648277.article

Cant rep Doones.

OP

Its a popular ratings grab as people like to downtalk it and then they get repped a lot by making feeble London Met jokes.

It has some poor courses and poor students, but it also has some good ones and good students. Dig a little deeper than TSR.

You can still put Newcastle as insurance, but it would be a small chance reading would reject and Newcastle would accept or have none at all and go for clearing.
Reply 6

Thanks! so you would advise me to choose it as my insurance because it's a good architecture school despite the uni being quite bad, right? :smile:
Reply 7
And what are the satisfaction ratings like for the architecture course?
Answer, generally good:
https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/satisfaction/10004048FT-UDARCHIT/ReturnTo/Search

Yes, you are right, thanks very much :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger

You can still put Newcastle as insurance, but it would be a small chance reading would reject and Newcastle would accept or have none at all and go for clearing.

Ta :smile:

And that's true too, Reading will often accept a 2 grade miss.
Reply 9
Ta :smile:

And that's true too, Reading will often accept a 2 grade miss.

Oh, that sounds great! :smile:
Original post by Lily048

Do you have any evidence of this? Especially as the 'bad rep' comes mostly from tsr and league tables rather than employers etc (ie the people that actually matter)
Original post by madmadmax321
Do you have any evidence of this? Especially as the 'bad rep' comes mostly from tsr and league tables rather than employers etc (ie the people that actually matter)

Well I tend to go off peoples experiences and the university guides, is that so wrong? It’s in the bottom 20 universities and it’s lowest rating is student satisfaction and teaching so surely that says something?
If it’s a good uni then great! There is just little evidence to suggest it is that case if you were an employer and looking into a universities background.
Original post by yag123
UCL - Rejected
Newcastle - ABB
Reading - ABB
London Met - ABC

In general the university isn't great.. Most of its courses are ill delivered, there are issues with course content and quality, graduate prospects aren't great, students aren't usually that engaged etc..

However, it does have a very good architecture school that defies a lot of the stereotypical negative points about the university. I wouldn't be dissuaded because of the university's overall reputation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Princepieman
In general the university isn't great.. Most of its courses are ill delivered, there are issues with course content and quality, graduate prospects aren't great, students aren't usually that engaged etc..

However, it does have a very good architecture school that defies a lot of the stereotypical negative points about the university. I wouldn't be dissuaded because of the university's overall reputation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right, and would you recommend me to insure Portsmouth instead? I mean in terms of reputation and stuff :smile:
If you arent keen on going there, then theres no point putting it as insurance.
there are bound to be places in clearing if you have the grades.
Original post by yag123
You're right, and would you recommend me to insure Portsmouth instead? I mean in terms of reputation and stuff :smile:

I'd recommend you insure whichever department you like more given the location, course offerings, links with employers etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by 999tigger
If you arent keen on going there, then theres no point putting it as insurance.
there are bound to be places in clearing if you have the grades.

The thing is that i quite liked it, the facilities were nice and the department was great, and it was in a nice area of London, the only thing that is making me doubt is its reputation, do you think it'd he worth it or should I insure Portsmouth? :wink:
Reply 17
Original post by yag123
The thing is that i quite liked it, the facilities were nice and the department was great, and it was in a nice area of London, the only thing that is making me doubt is its reputation, do you think it'd he worth it or should I insure Portsmouth? :wink:

Have you visited Portsmouth?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Princepieman
I'd recommend you insure whichever department you like more given the location, course offerings, links with employers etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I'll look into it
Reply 19
Have you visited Portsmouth?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes, but I'm not sure I loved the vibe of the city and my department, what do you think of it? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending