The Student Room Group

What course suits me?

Year 12, taking psychology, sociology and biology.

I don't have much knowledge about uni yet, but my interests are criminal psychology, forensic psychology, crime and just psychology I guess in general.

I know psychology includes a lot of science (I'm not a big science fan) but I should be able to cope with it.. but I also want to find a course which can explore my other interests.
Original post by Traore

I don't have much knowledge about uni yet, but my interests are criminal psychology, forensic psychology, crime and just psychology I guess in general.

I know psychology includes a lot of science (I'm not a big science fan) but I should be able to cope with it.. but I also want to find a course which can explore my other interests.

It sounds like criminology (or sociology with a crim focus - some more traditional universities offer crim this way) would suit you. It’s worth having a think about what you might want to do after your degree to make sure you aren’t ruling yourself out of any careers.

Also get along to a ucas fair and book yourself on some open days for your local universities so that you can get a better feeling about what you’re looking for (and something to compare against).
Criminology or Forensic Psychology sounds great for you. It'll be an interesting and engaging course for sure .
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
It sounds like criminology (or sociology with a crim focus - some more traditional universities offer crim this way) would suit you. It’s worth having a think about what you might want to do after your degree to make sure you aren’t ruling yourself out of any careers.

Also get along to a ucas fair and book yourself on some open days for your local universities so that you can get a better feeling about what you’re looking for (and something to compare against).

Thanks.. I don't feel like continuing sociology but criminology is a good shout, although I'm not sure what the career prospects are like.
Original post by Traore

Hiya, I'm the social ambassador from the University of Kent and I study Sociology but I am trained in knowledge on all the social science subjects. I would suggest potentially doing a joint honours course between criminology and psychology as they would cover most of your interests and be good for your chosen a level subjects. If you have any more questions about Kent or criminology then I am happy to help :smile:
Original post by Traore

Hi there!

One way you can figure out which course is the right one for you is to think about your career and where you want to be in the future and then pick the course which helps you get there. The Skills Health Check on the website below can help to take your skills, motivations, hobbies and interests to match with some potential careers for you to look into on the Job Profiles on the same website.
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/skills-health-check/home

Once you have decided on a career you can then contact an adviser on 0800 100 900 or you can use the webchat option on any page of the website. Our advisers can help you take the career you are interested in and help you to work backwards to figure out which course is right for what you want to achieve.

I hope this information helps you to take your next steps and find the perfect course for you!
Rosy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending