The Student Room Group

called the police... was it the right thing to do?

I woke up this morning to shouting outside of my window. On the bench below were 5 men and 1 woman. All were drinking alcohol. The woman was lying on the floor making sexual gestures to the men. The men did not give her attention. After 5 minutes, the woman got up off the floor and went and lay on the man's lap. Then, another man pulled her off and kicked her to the ground. The men starting groping the woman and kicked her repeatedly in the stomach. The woman lay on the floor.

At this point I thought I should phone the police. I called the police and described what I was seeing to the operator. Then, while I was still talking to them, I heard sirens and a police car pulled up. Two men got out and arrested the men. The woman managed to escape and I don't know what happened to her afterwards.

The strange thing is that this happened outside a church in the middle of the city centre. People walked past and saw this too. Maybe someone else had called the police before me? Why did people walk past and not help the woman?

I think the woman was maybe being groomed by the men. She was probably a sex slave. Did I do the right think by calling the police? I don't want to be part of whatever this thing is, so I didn't get my name and details to the operator. I hope I am not contacted by the police again. I just wanted to the report the incident to protect the woman. Now I am worried I will be dragged into something I don't want.
(edited 6 years ago)
Of course you did the right thing. You could have saved that woman from being seriously injured.
Moved to Advice on Everyday issues
Original post by sueright
I woke up this morning to shouting outside of my window. On the bench below were 5 men and 1 woman. All were drinking alcohol. The woman was lying on the floor making sexual gestures to the men. The men did not give her attention. After 5 minutes, the woman got up off the floor and went and lay on the man's lap. Then, another man pulled her off and kicked her to the ground. The men starting groping the woman and kicked her repeatedly in the stomach. The woman lay on the floor.

At this point I thought I should phone the police. I called the police and described what I was seeing to the operator. Then, while I was still talking to them, I heard sirens and a police car pulled up. Two men got out and arrested the men. The woman managed to escape and I don't know what happened to her afterwards.

The strange thing is that this happened outside a church in the middle of the city centre. People walked past and saw this too. Maybe someone else had called the police before me? Why did people walk past and not help the woman?

I think the woman was maybe being groomed by the men. She was probably a sex slave. Did I do the right think by calling the police? I don't want to be part of whatever this thing is, so I didn't get my name and details to the operator. I hope I am not contacted by the police again. I just wanted to the report the incident to protect the woman. Now I am worried I will be dragged into something I don't want.

Entirely the right thing. It wasnt your call really as you just told the operator what you saw. and they made the decision.

Why do you think they ignored her but after groped her? Was it attacking or sexual assault? Kind of strange.
You did the right thing.
Reply 6
Yes you did the right thing

Original post by CoolCavy
Moved to Advice on Everyday issues

OMg Cavy! you're a mod! That's so awesome!
Don't worry, you did the right thing! :smile: There is something called the bystander effect which is a social psychological phenomenon in which individuals are less likely to offer help to a victim when other people are present. The greater the number of bystanders, the less likely it is that any one of them will help. Even if someone else phoned before you the fact that several people phoned helps the operator gage the scale of the incident.
Original post by z33
Yes you did the right thing

OMg Cavy! you're a mod! That's so awesome!

Not quite, just a CA :colondollar:

:hugs:
Reply 9
Original post by CoolCavy
Not quite, just a CA :colondollar:

:hugs:

still that's so cool! gurl one day your name will be purple and we'll throw a party i know it :woo:

:jumphug:

Hi. You did the right thing. No matter what the actual situation was, you saw somebody being mistreated and you got the police to deal with it. You didn't ignore it and you didn't go vigilante and try to deal with it yourself. Good call. Everything past that is on the police. They made the decisions of what to do and apparently it was worth arresting them.
And if absolutely nothing else they were causing a disturbance which by itself can be worth calling the police over.

I very much doubt the police will want to contact you further. You aren't exactly involved- you just saw part of it. You don't really know anything they don't. Only possibility is if they wanted to check if you could give a discription of the lady or something to help them find her. And in that case you could always say you don't want to and it would just be them asking for a bit of info. You wouldn't be dragged into anything.

Hope that helps :smile:
You absolutely did the right thing. People often walk past this sort of thing because they don't know what to do or are scared to get involved. I once saw a guy beating his GF up in the town center (she was literally 15-16), he picked he up and threw her on the floor next to a woman who just walked off. I know she didn't call the police because mine was the only call they received. I, a small, young woman, had to physically intervene to stop him dragging her off down the street and bypassers refused to help me stand up to this fully grown man.

The things that were happening may not have been exactly what you thought was happening. The girl appeared to be wanting the men's attention and not getting it.
However, your interpretation may be right. How would you feel if she ended up being killed or badly injured by these men?
I am no fan of the police or their ability to deal with cases like this. Arresting the men is their knee-jerk reaction to any domestic type situation. They often get it wrong.
On balance I feel you had little option.

You deffo did the right thing. It could have escalated and someone by the sound of it would have got hurt. Badly. If you didn't give your details to the police I don't think anything else will happen. If they do, which I don't think will happen, just literally tell them what you saw and that's it. If you tell them you don't want to be contacted again over it they will have to respect that.

Latest

Trending

Trending