The Student Room Group

University and friends

is it like easy to make friends in uni even if you came from a complete different country (i am from france and want to go to england for uni) and how is uni life is it like rlly stressful and do you have to have a roommate and if u can interact with the ppl that live next to u (i literally know nothing)
Original post by Mia_14
is it like easy to make friends in uni even if you came from a complete different country (i am from france and want to go to england for uni) and how is uni life is it like rlly stressful and do you have to have a roommate and if u can interact with the ppl that live next to u (i literally know nothing)

Most of your questions are very individual. It will depend on you as a person if it is easy for you to make friends. People who are sociable will find it very easy, more introverted people will find it difficult. Where you come from doesn't matter as long as you're a nice person.

The stress will depend on the course and how you manage your time. I personally am not that stressed, except for during exam time. My course is not as demanding as other courses.

You typically have flatmates, where you share a kitchen and living room, and sometimes a bathroom. Very rarely do you share a bedroom with someone.

Yes, you can talk to the people next door. It is encouraged to talk to as many people as you can in order to make friends.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
Most of your questions are very individual. It will depend on you as a person if it is easy for you to make friends. People who are sociable will find it very easy, more introverted people will find it difficult. Where you come from doesn't matter as long as you're a nice person.

The stress will depend on the course and how you manage your time. I personally am not that stressed, except for during exam time. My course is not as demanding as other courses.

You typically have flatmates, where you share a kitchen and living room, and sometimes a bathroom. Very rarely do you share a bedroom with someone.

Yes, you can talk to the people next door. It is encouraged to talk to as many people as you can in order to make friends.

thanks! :smile: and about the roommate thingy do they just randomly pick a person to be ur roommate and can it be a person opposite ur sex (cause that would be kinda uncomfortable) or do you choose ur roommate.:h: (hope am not bothering u with my stupid questions :colondollar:)
Original post by Mia_14
thanks! :smile: and about the roommate thingy do they just randomly pick a person to be ur roommate and can it be a person opposite ur sex (cause that would be kinda uncomfortable) or do you choose ur roommate.:h: (hope am not bothering u with my stupid questions :colondollar:)

It's normally totally random. You pick a room and then it's just whoever else picks a room in that flat you are with. Some unis do offer same sex accommodation. I personally don't see why it is awkward to share a kitchen, bathroom or living room with someone of the opposite sex.
Reply 4
It's normally totally random. You pick a room and then it's just whoever else picks a room in that flat you are with. Some unis do offer same sex accommodation. I personally don't see why it is awkward to share a kitchen, bathroom or living room with someone of the opposite sex.

Thanks a lot this rlly helped :h: and for the opposite sex lets just say my parents would like to think the worst of me so they wouldnt be comfortable knowing that i share a room with a guy :frown:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Mia_14
Thanks a lot this rlly helped :h: and for the opposite sex lets just say my parents would like to think the worst of me so they wouldnt be comfortable knowing that i share a room with a guy :frown:

No no. You most likely will have your own room. The only things you will definitely be sharing is a kitchen and a living room. You may share a bathroom. You almost definitely will have your own bedroom.
Reply 6
No no. You most likely will have your own room. The only things you will definitely be sharing is a kitchen and a living room. You may share a bathroom. You almost definitely will have your own bedroom.

pefect!:smile:
French girls are popular the world over....lol. no worries.
Reply 8
Original post by Realitysreflexx
French girls are popular the world over....lol. no worries.

aww thx :heart:
You will have more than one roommate. Most unis have flats of somewhere between 4-10 people. If you have more people, you will have more bathrooms/showers and probably a bigger kitchen.

So it won't just be you sharing with one man. It would probably be a mix of guys and girls.
Reply 10
Original post by KittyN
You will have more than one roommate. Most unis have flats of somewhere between 4-10 people. If you have more people, you will have more bathrooms/showers and probably a bigger kitchen.

So it won't just be you sharing with one man. It would probably be a mix of guys and girls.

wat rlly i never knew that wait is it optional to choose how many ppl u want in a room and if u by any chance know how Cambridge roommate thingy works?
Original post by Mia_14
wat rlly i never knew that wait is it optional to choose how many ppl u want in a room and if u by any chance know how Cambridge roommate thingy works?

Yup. At my uni (Sheffield) you can choose, but different unis have different systems. I'm afraid I don't know how Cambridge's system works.
Reply 12
Original post by KittyN
Yup. At my uni (Sheffield) you can choose, but different unis have different systems. I'm afraid I don't know how Cambridge's system works.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending