The Student Room Group

Should men vote on women's issues such as the tampon tax or abortion laws?

Do men have the right to vote in issues that do not effect them?
I am undecided.

Scroll to see replies

Democracy says so
Reply 2
Original post by adamantacademic
Democracy says so

What's your opinion then?
Reply 3
I think it would be wrong to take away a male's vote. Yet, I do think it would be incredibly unfair for these issues to be resolved in manner where the ultimate majority is male ... I simply think it's stupid that a vote would be held regarding these matters.
Original post by AliceAnnn
What's your opinion then?

I believe men can have an opinion on women’s issues and vice versa
no they shouldn't vote on women issues because it doesn't concern them. they shouldn't have a say with what women do with their bodies etc its non of there business.
Do men have the right to vote in issues that do not effect them?
I am undecided.

Given than men pay more tax than women I think we should have more say on how government money is spent that women
Reply 7
I think they should get a say - that's democracy. However, attention needs to be had in ensuring that women aren't silenced about these issues in favour of male opinion.
Reply 8
Original post by Fluxisms
I think it would be wrong to take away a male's vote. Yet, I do think it would be incredibly unfair for these issues to be resolved in manner where the ultimate majority is male ... I simply think it's stupid that a vote would be held regarding these matters.

So you don't believe that abortion or the tampon tax is important? Thanks for your input.
Reply 9
Original post by bars from mars
Given than men pay more tax than women I think we should have more say on how government money is spent that women

Well men pay more tax because they are more powerful in our society; in careers and such. Maybe if women could vote on these matters that they could have more representation? Thanks.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Fluxisms
Yet, I do think it would be incredibly unfair for these issues to be resolved in manner where the ultimate majority is male ...

Woah sister, it's 50/50 male to female, there's no majority here.
There will never be a vote on this, so I can’t see it being an issue.
Reply 12
So you don't believe that abortion or the tampon tax is important? Thanks for your input.

I think what they meant is that it's never - usually - one vote on these issues, it's always nuanced bills/amendments that indirectly affect those issues along with a multitude of other issues.
Reply 13
Feminist logic: Only men who agree with me can vote, otherwise die!
I believe that in situations like tampon tax and abortion, men shouldn't have the right to vote. They are not women and do not have periods or carry babies. Yes, tampon tax will effect them as it will effect the tax they pay but as women we are paying an awful amount of money each year to pay for something which we cannot control. Where the situation only effects a man or a woman, the other gender should not intervene and shouldn't have a vote.
Reply 15
Original post by Andrew97
There will never be a vote on this, so I can’t see it being an issue.

I Just want to read some opinions on this matter. Who knows.
Original post by FP5

Nobody here said "only men who agree with feminism can vote".
Reply 17
Original post by FP5

I don't recall anyone typing that. Sorry you misunderstood.
Reply 18
Nobody should be disenfranchised because someone arbitrarily decides it doesn't concern them, it's just a dangerous precedent and could lead to authoritarianism.
It’s tricky, but I think it’d be trickier for us to say that you can only vote on issues that affect you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending