The Student Room Group

What would you do if you were UK prime minister?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
The average German also has a higher tax burden, that's the cost. We do have lots of apprenticeships now, it's just a cultural thing to go for uni.

And they're happy to pay it because they place a lot of value on education as a society.

It's only really recently that apprenticeships have become 'fashionable', and that's mostly really because companies are allowed to pay pittance for workers. We also still don't have much in the way of vocational courses; the German education system is so much better than ours imo. There's a lot less emphasis on academics for everyone and much more on people learning to their strengths and skills.
Original post by #Whitehouse
So what do you think? Electable

Honestly not really now, but in the future maybe. I mean look at the popularity of the greens, ukip and the snp. Whilst they aren't single-issue parties any more, they still are more issue-based, which could explain the rise of pressure groups. Therefore I think that mixed views are becoming more and more common, therefore maybe more electable.
I would:

Ban muslims and other groups associated with terrorists
Tag immigrants
Remove speed cameras
Relocate a shipload of polar bears to Antarctica
Dramatically reduce prisoner rights (no in-cell tv's, no early releases etc)
Introduce speed limit free zones
People who want to die will be given the right to do so
Cut my penis off

I would introduce a system where someone applying for a driving test would only get that chance when someone who already has a driving license loses it for whatever reason. This is to reduce the exponential increase of traffic on the road. This restriction wouldnt apply to motorcycles as they take up far less space. Exemptions would apply in certain cases.
Original post by Anonymoùs
I would:

Ban muslims and other groups associated with terrorists
Tag immigrants
Remove speed cameras
Relocate a shipload of polar bears to Antarctica
Dramatically reduce prisoner rights (no in-cell tv's, no early releases etc)
Introduce speed limit free zones
People who want to die will be given the right to do so
Cut my penis off

I would introduce a system where someone applying for a driving test would only get that chance when someone who already has a driving license loses it for whatever reason. This is to reduce the exponential increase of traffic on the road. This restriction wouldnt apply to motorcycles as they take up far less space. Exemptions would apply in certain cases.

More feasible than the op lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Exercise article 50 & take Britain out of the EU immediately
Introduce Single transferable vote system, im astonished this hasn't happened already. Its is SOOOOO much better than our current caveman system.
Original post by #Whitehouse
21. When the bankers have their next fook up let them sort themselves out or give them a repayable loan with a huge interest rate.
22. Build underground bunker full of food, water so when WW3 happens the women, children and elderly have somewhere to hide
23 Use thd mainstream media for propaganda excercises to ensure the electorate can't get enough of me.
24. Stop listning to the united nations- I will print money to pay the fines smashed on us
25. Make the BBC advertise-the tv licence is daylight robery the online good shows on their are the apprentice and eastenders ( which half of the time is unbearable)
26.persuade retailers to give out of date canned foods to foodbanks to help the vulnerable.
27. Enforce a maximum price season tickets at football clubs can be sold at
28. Education wll be propaganda tool
29. I will not publish any manifesto monidh reads thrm and they are time consuming and a conflict of interest so nobody catches me out
30 . I will build a nuvclear missile base on the moon so it cant be traced back to us

31 Ban Adrian Chiles and Piers Morgan from morning tv for being to boring
32. Employ a panel of control freaks as policy advisers
33 Reoffending criminals get torture methods hanging to the sealing by hands and then feet the day after
34. Dentists who make mistakes can be fined up to £5000
35 abolish equality act and create selective equality act,(Race and age discrimination can go)
36. people will need to be 16 to have a facebook account. If they lie about age it is a £10000 fine
37 £20,000 fine for drink driving/drug driving if both £40,000 .£15,000 for being on the phone at the wheel
Original post by Rakas21
Bar Russia, it's our only real enemy.

Russia would be our new ally.

21) I would demand that Turkey stops its attacks on the Kurds and begins negotiations for the creation of an independent Kurdistan or else face economic sanctions. Attacking Kurds in Syria ( Rojava) would be an act of war and together with Russia we would launch air strikes on Turkey, until Erdogan resigns and is put on trial in The Hague or in Moscow.

22) Russian would become the main foreign language in schools.

23) Re- open the coal mines

24) Medicine to be available as a correspondence course to increase the numbers of new doctors.
25) build 25 new tower blocks of 70 floors each to solve London's housing crisis and provide council housing in places like Mayfair.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Russia would be our new ally.

21) I would demand that Turkey stops its attacks on the Kurds and begins negotiations for the creation of an independent Kurdistan or else face economic sanctions. Attacking Kurds in Syria ( Rojava) would be an act of war and together with Russia we would launch air strikes on Turkey, until Erdogan resigns and is put on trial in The Hague or in Moscow.

22) Russian would become the main foreign language in schools.

23) Re- open the coal mines

24) Medicine to be available as a correspondence course to increase the numbers of new doctors.
25) build 25 new tower blocks of 70 floors each to solve London's housing crisis and provide council housing in places like Mayfair.

What would be the point in such an alliance (especially number 22)? Russia lacks the population and economic size to be a first class superpower this century.
Give out money for free :biggrin:
This is what I would like to do if I became prime minister:

decrease university fees by half

employ local homeless people to clean the streets (litter-picking, cleaning graffiti, and washing pavements), not paying them a small(but fair) tax-free w
age, but providing accommodation and food, allowing them to save up money so that they can get on their feet and back into employment.

incentivize recycling with a few pence given per bottle recycled( a similar system to Germany)

provide more languages in primary school allow local councils to gain further profit/income for doing services, e.g lawnmowing and public transport etc

charge children who don't attempt to do exams in schools for the entries the school has paid for them on their behalf

provide extra GCSE's after school for willing students

have running classes for young people in school, where they run a mile per day

encourage small businesses to open shops in town centers

encourage big companies not to open shops in out of town shopping areas but to open shops in town centers.

encourage OAPs to carry on working part-time jobs

encourage OAPs to take up exercise

give the police more power with dealing with online "trolls"

increase the budget for military, education, and justice

encourage reform for prisoners to find jobs easier when they return to the real world

encourage more people to become police and PCSOs

fund air ambulances( as they are currently all paid for by charity)

let people be able to donate to certain government services (military, NHS, police and local governments)

increase teacher wages and authority

encourage more people to go into practical jobs and technical jobs increase wages for doctors( to stop them going to countries with higher wages)

allow doctors and hospital management to refuse to treat disrespectful patients
Priority number 1
Close the borders and make immigration to the UK a lot lot harder- I would make sure there is a list of professions where people can be considered on merit and any immigrant coming in would need to be able to speak English to at least a basic degree- by this i mean have the ability to hold a conversation.

Priority number 2

Start proceeding with free trade deals with many countries Including the United States, Australia, New Zealand.etc - this will be after brexit, which i would ensure we left in March 2019.

Priority number 3
Give the British public a referendum on the House of Lords

Priority number 4
Send all illegal aliens back

Priority Number 5
Train up our own people up for future needs

I will update this with more later
Original post by Davij038
1) Outlaw Cirumcision of any kind and harsh sentences for anyone that does it or if parents try and go elsewhere to get it done as per genital mutilation)
2) Scrap Faith Schools-Hotbeds of extremism, creationism, intellectual garbage and segregation.
3) Declare a health war on Obesity- massive clampdown on sugary and fatty foods particularly those aimed at children. Make Formula milk prescription only. Build free communal outdoor gym equipment in every local area.
4) Liberal Eugenics- offer cash incentives of sterilization- particularly in those with serious inheritable disabilities and make adoption easier.
5) Nationalize the energy sector and invest in all forms of renewable energy-particularly nuclear power.
6) Abolish the Monarchy and shrink the House of lords and reform to an elected senate. Change National Anthem to Smack my ***** up' by the prodigy.
7) Make atheism the state religion and ensure that a copy of The God Delusion is available in every school. Ban collective religious worship. Make sure that the state does not pay for any religious body or individual.
8) Foreign aid to be limited to contraceptives and atheist propaganda.
9) Integrate closer with the EU
10) Establish greater recognition for Kurdistan and cool relationship with Turkey
11) Lower Corporation Tax but bring in some form of Land Value Tax.
12) Limit child benefit to first three children.
13) Quadruple sentences for child killers/ rapists whilst reducing sentences for most other crimes overall.
14) Legalise most drugs.

Funny how times have changed. I strongly disavow half of these now!!

2: Ban Islamic Faith Schools. Greater autonomy for existing religious schools.

6: Keep the monarchy, halve the HoL and introduce a cap

7: Retain our Christian heritage

8: No, just end foreign aid that isn’t clearly in our intersts, also leave Nati and other stupid entanglements.

9: Leave the EU but remain open to a genuine reformed EU of Nation States

10: Support for Syria and Iran

11: Nope, also more protectionist policies

12: child benefit for married couples only

14: crack down on drug crime
Reply 73
Original post by Davij038
Funny how times have changed. I strongly disavow half of these now!!

2: Ban Islamic Faith Schools. Greater autonomy for existing religious schools.

6: Keep the monarchy, halve the HoL and introduce a cap

7: Retain our Christian heritage

8: No, just end foreign aid that isn’t clearly in our intersts, also leave Nati and other stupid entanglements.

9: Leave the EU but remain open to a genuine reformed EU of Nation States

10: Support for Syria and Iran

11: Nope, also more protectionist policies

12: child benefit for married couples only

14: crack down on drug crime

What exactly is your definition of foreign aid that is 'in our interests'? Are starving people in our interests or not? Or are they only in our interests if they are British?

What does number 10 mean? "Support the Syrian government"? The Syrian government that started mowing down peaceful protesters to prop itself up? The Syrian government that allowed ISIS to fight on in certain areas in order to weaken the governments other enemies? The Syrian government that has repeatedly poisoned civilians?

Number 12: Why? That is frankly bizarre.

Number 14: What does that even mean?

Number 6: Not exactly a thing that a PM would 'do'.

Number 11: Like what?
Original post by Jjj90
What exactly is your definition of foreign aid that is 'in our interests'? Are starving people in our interests or not? Or are they only in our interests if they are British?

E.G directly contributes to benefiting the Tax Payer or the National Interest. At the moment we give aid to regimes that can afford to pay it themselves or are hostile to the British people. But even if a country couldn't afford it and was not hostile to the UK it is not our place to be the Worlds welfare provider any more than it is to be the Worlds police man- and these two areas often overlap and lead to mission creep.

What does number 10 mean? "Support the Syrian government"? The Syrian government that started mowing down peaceful protesters to prop itself up? The Syrian government that allowed ISIS to fight on in certain areas in order to weaken the governments other enemies? The Syrian government that has repeatedly poisoned civilians?

Support Assad the rightful ruler of Syrian and his war against Wahabbism (Often masquerading as 'peaceful protests) in much the same way 'moderate rebels' turned out to be, uh, al qaida . The west had acted shamelessly and is basically acting as air cover for these disgusting Islamists. The only liberal and democratic force in the middle east is Kurdistan which as a far bigger threat in the form of Erdogan, which is part of NATO. Your criticism of Syria's actions are laughable when you consider what the Saudi's and Israeli's get up to.

Number 12: Why? That is frankly bizarre.

'Nuclear Families' are the bedrock of western civilization, the collapse of which has lead the way for the calamitous society we find ourselves in.
Original post by Rakas21
Spend..

1) Commit to a fiscal surplus and creation of a sovereign wealth fund.

2) Commit to reducing the size of the state as a percentage of GDP every single year

3) Cut the welfare and foreign aid budgets while increasing the defense and capital spending budgets (transport, housing, energy).

Tax..

1) Lower 45% income tax threshold to £100k and use any revenue to abolish National Insurance.

2) Aim to abolish VAT and Business Rates while setting Corporation Tax at 20%.

3) Commit to reducing the tax burden on the average person as a percentage of GDP every single year

Regulation

1) Any Plc recording a net profit margin in excess of 10% will be required to increase wages for the lowest quartile of employees by 5% during the following financial year

2) Ownership and Control will have split shares. Nobody born outside the UK in new Plc's will be permitted to control more than 45% of the firm.

3) All franchised contracts issued by government will be reviewed with changes in structure to follow in order to promote competition. This will also be the case where government provides subsidy or guarantee to the private sector.

good ideas, make 'Attack Helicopter' a registered gender🚁
1) Start a national space program and give it loads of funding
2) Stop Brexit
Can’t believe nothing has been said about speech restrictive laws
All right I'm guessing I might be unpopular on here with a lot of people but here it goes :-/

1) Cut immigration by 70%
2) Build social housing again, banning private developments
3) Introduce fees for the NHS for drug users, drunks, and charge parents with serverely obese children
4) Re-legalise handguns, and permit concealed/open carry
5) Hold a referendum on legalising cannabis. (if this was legal then you would pay a small fine for NHS due to additional health risk)
6) Nationalise rail
7) Reduce university fees
8) Increase funding to police, NHS, and and fire services
9) Introduce bank holidays for St George's day (Other national saint days too), a
10) Introduce a mandatory 50 year sentence for murder, 10 years for carrying a knife, 50 years for using it
11) Introduce a mandatory 50 year sentence for carrying acid
12) Scrap grammar schools
13) Tax people an addition 1.2% to pay for these new policies
14) Tax the rich more, not less
15) Hold a referendum on reintroducing capital punishment for terrorism, child rape/molestation, some serious cases of murder, murdering a police officer
16) Build better relations with Russia and pardon them over the Skripal's poisoning (IMO they didn't even do it)
17) Scrap monitoring of civillians online
18) Leave the EU without a Brexit deal
19) Re-introduce national service, perhaps slimming it down to just young offenders

Said it. As you can see a mix of right wing, libertarian, and left wing views. I support legalising cannabis because it can help the economy. To put this into perspective, California now has a higher GDP than the UK because of it and how heavily taxed it is. Also reduces time police spend dealing with it. Some say I'm hypocritical for charging some people for NHS, well, considering they are the most people using it when a lot of people need help and taking up ambulances for real emergencies, I think its justified. I know a lot of people especially those at uni are very liberal and anti some things I've put in here like guns, death penalty and immigration, but I think I make up for that through holding a referendum on legalising cannabis and no more private housing, just social housing . Thank you
(edited 5 years ago)
My manifesto if I were Prime Minister:

Economy

Reform UK Income Tax rates and bands to the following:

Under £11,500

0%

£11,500 - £24,999

10%

£25,000 - £44,999

20%

£45,000 - £79,999

30%

£80,000 - £149,999

40%

Over £150,000

45%

Replace VAT with a Local Sales Tax devolved and set by the Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish legislatures, Greater London Assembly, English Combined Authorities and English County Councils with freedom to vary the rate according to their spending needs

Corporation tax increased to a 20% rate for companies making over £1 million profits and lowered to 15% for businesses with under £1 million profits. Allow devolved administrations allowed to set their own local rates of corporation tax

Fully devolve all sales taxes and duties, including Stamp Duty, Landfill Tax and Air Passenger Tax to the devolved legislatures

Continue with Northern Powerhouse project and include Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Belfast in the plans

Begin a project which aims to encourage and subsidise the building of high-rise skyscrapers in the UK’s major cities and metropolitan areas in London along with Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardiff and Belfast

Rename the Bank of England to the Bank of the United Kingdom (Bank UK) and H.M Revenue and Customs to the Revenue and Customs Service (R.C.S)

Replace English, Scottish, Northern Irish and UK territorial banknotes with a single UK currency banknote like we have with coins with its introduction set after the death of Queen Elizabeth II

Reintroduce the £1 note into circulation

Foreign Affairs and Defence

Revoke our recognition of the state of Palestine until such a time when Palestine is fully democratic and committed solely to peaceful methods in resolving the Israel-Palestine conflict and support a two-state solution

Support the existence of the Commonwealth of Nations, and will work for closer ties with the member states of the Commonwealth, while also being open to any application from countries who share the values of the Commonwealth for membership

Work with the Chinese government and the international community to resolve the situation in Taiwan and Tibet, along with attempts to enhance the rights of the people of China, in a first attempt to deal with these important matters while maintaining good relations with China

Work with international community to have a two-state solution to the Israel/Palestine and support Israel’s right to exist while refusing recognition of the Palestine state until they are fully democratic and committed to peaceful ways to resolving the conflict

Recognise the Republic of Somaliland as a sovereign state and support its recognition as a sovereign state from the international community

Commit to spend 2% GDP on defence and increase annually by 0.5% provided GDP continues to rise

Withdrawal from European Court of Human Rights

Open internment camps for extraordinarily dangerous people and enemies of the state operated by MI5: Homeland Security and MI6: Secret Intelligence Service

Move the Specialist Operations directorate from the London Metropolitan Police Service to its own agency H.M Specialist Operations with responsibility for the protection of the senior members of the British Royal Family, and members of The Cabinet and other ministerial members of Her Majesty's Government while moving responsibility of coordinating and leading on UK-wide national counter-terrorism matters to the National Crime Agency allowing the Met to focus on general policing in the Greater London region

Give the citizens of Gibraltar a referendum on becoming fully British, and having representation in the Houses of Parliament including its own MP in the lower house and representation in the upper house, also give the Isle of Man and Channel islands referendums too if there's high levels of support

International Trade

Support and negotiate the purposed CANZUK Group consisting of the UK, Australia, Canada and New Zealand which sees cooperation between the four nations on free trade, foreign policy, constitutional affairs and freedom of movement

Seek to join the EFTA, allowing us access to the four freedoms of the EU while allowing us the freedom to seek other trade deals with foreign countries and negotiate further restrictions on freedom of movement put in place

Seek to join NAFTA, allowing us access to Canadian, American, Mexican markets once its future is secure and the CPTPP trade agreement, a signed, but not-yet ratified, trade agreement between Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore and Vietnam giving us access to their markets once ratified

Support and negotiate the creation of the Commonwealth Free Trade Association, which will massively boost trade between Commonwealth nations

Negotiate as many bilateral free trade deals as possible, opening the UK market to all sorts of economies after Brexit

Recommission the Royal Yacht Britannia used to sign new trade deals and privately funded via donations at no tax payers expense

Health

Reform the NHS to a social insurance model of universal healthcare for citizens which subsidises most healthcare costs as opposed to an outdated health service with different NHS plans available for citizens as well as specific plans for children, students, the disabled and the retired

Introduce a flat NHS levy of 2% of income for additional funding of the NHS with opt outs available for individuals who use private insurance

Make hospitals and other health centres independent of the state with full control over their staffing roll and salaries to compete for doctors and nurses with responsibility of franchising each hospital devolved to local level

Encourage strong competition in free market healthcare to drive up standards and encourage more Britons to opt for private health insurance

No NHS funding for abortions unless a victim of rape, the baby is life threatening to the mother or foetal abnormalities. Illegal after 24 weeks unless life threatening or foetal abnormalities occur

Allow foreign nationals with legal rights to work in the UK to have full access to NHS treatment provided they pay the 2% NHS levy

Education

Replace tuition fees with a flat graduate tax. This will be done by setting up a 'Higher Education Service' which will fund higher education in England in which all UK graduates who graduated from English universities earning above £25,000 would pay into through a flat 5% levy on their annual income and donations of other bodies

Put a 2% tax on tuition fees of foreign students who seek to use the NHS

Reintroduce maintenance grants for poor students undertaking higher education

Introduce the Tuition Fee Equality Act to have UK universities charge all UK students the same rate for tuition fees as a resident of any other EU country, regardless of which UK region they are from

Charge foreign students who opt to use NHS treatment during the duration of their studies a 2% levy of their tuition fees with opt outs available for foreign nationals who use private insurance

Scrap UCAS and have universities and colleges have their own systems of processing applications and admissions

Merge all English examination boards into a new single ‘National Education Service’, an executive non-departmental public body responsible for accrediting educational awards, overseeing the national curriculum and recommendation of salaries, holiday and school hours while leaving the choice to schools and local councils themselves, also set up separate singles exam boards for Wales and Northern Ireland while maintaining the SQA in Scotland

Allow state schools and councils more control over their pupil and staffing rolls and salaries to compete for teachers across the UK and around the world, with recommendations set up by the proposed National Education Service and salary regulations set out by local governments

Allow teachers at the primary stage the freedom to teach in areas they have specialist knowledge of and on news and current affairs

Allow new schools to enter the education market and compete for pupils provided they are agreed by the local council

Require History classes at primary and secondary to have a huge emphasis on British history including the English Civil War, Scottish Wars of Independence, the Monarchy, Union of Crowns, Act of the Union, Irish Wars of Independence, Northern Ireland Troubles

Introduce Modern Studies as a compulsory subject in secondary school, a subject historically taught in Scottish schools which seeks to develop pupils’ knowledge and understanding of contemporary political and social issues in local, United Kingdom and international contexts

Require all schools to fly the Union Jack and have classroom, P.E halls, cafeterias to have a Union Jack and portrait of Queen Elizabeth II

Require all school pupils to pledge allegiance to Queen and Country at the start of school: “I pledge allegiance to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. I will respect our rights and freedoms. I will uphold our democratic values. I will observe our laws faithfully and fulfil my duties as a British citizen, for Queen and Country. So help me God.” Also allow the nations to have their own respective pledge of allegiances such as Texas

Immigration

Negotiate freedom of movement of people between Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK as part of the CANZUK trade bloc under terms equivalent to the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement between Australia and New Zealand

Reform immigration from the EU by stopping ‘free movement’ migration from new EU member countries for 7 years, require all EU migrants to prove they have sufficient funds, health insurance and suitable housing, deport EU migrants who remain economically inactive after 3 months and have an emergency brake on welfare payments to EU nationals

Negotiate freedom of labour treaties with the United States of America, South Africa, Israel, Singapore and Hong Kong making it easier for workers to move abroad in the respective countries while allowing citizens to retire in these countries provided they have the funds to look after themselves

Introduce regional points based immigration system for immigration from countries without freedom of movement treaties

Give devolved administrations the power to sponsor visas for work in their respective parts of the UK

Remove students from official migration statistics

Require migrants to have proof of high fluency in reading, writing, speaking and listening of the English language before immigrating to the UK

Allow international postgraduates from UK universities stay in UK for six months to find work

Migrants to UK to make tax and national insurance contributions for five years and gain UK citizenship before eligible for benefits and NHS treatment including migrants who have already settled here

No visas for foreign criminals

Migrants who commit crimes resulting in prison will have their visa revoked and be detained until they are deported

Give EU Citizens currently living in the UK permanent status provided they are either in full time work, married to UK citizen, related to UK citizen but can be deported if convicted of a criminal offence

Culture, Media and Sport

Abolish the license fee

Privatisation of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC)

Privatisation of Channel Four Television Corporation

Mandate Ofcom to create new licenses for channel 1 and channel 2 awarded to the highest bidders

Devolve responsibility of S4C to Wales while complying with Ofcom regulations at UK level

Change BBFC film ratings to U, PG, 12A and 16A

End the Watershed for TV and replace with a TV ratings system regulated by Ofcom with ratings the same as the new proposed BBFC ratings

Allow political campaign advertising on TV and radio during the election season with the regulation of equitable airtime for all candidates on each broadcast network. 6 hours of prime programming should be available for the purchase by all parties

Mandate the provision of televised leaders’ debates in general elections based on rules produced by Ofcom relating to structure and balance, and allowing for the empty-chairing of party leaders who refuse to attend

Amendment to smoking ban to give pubs and clubs choice of opening “smoking rooms”

Reduce the drinking, smoking and driving ages to 16

Legalisation of cannabis for medical and recreational use subjected to a duty of 10%

Promote the establishment and school participation in county school sport leagues across the UK in football, rugby, cricket, basketball, hockey, netball, American football and any other sports where there is a local or national demand with prizes for schools and pupils who are success such as better funding for successful schools, scholarships to British universities with grants for living costs, also encourage broadcasters to buy TV rights to these competitions to encourage more to take part

Work in cooperation with the Football Association and football clubs to expand and rebuild football stadiums across England to make them more modern and technologically advanced for the 21st century including building a new modern 105,000 capacity stadium for Manchester United F.C in the Greater Manchester area making it the largest stadium in Europe

Submit a combined UK bid to host the 2030 or 2034 FIFA World Cup

Political Reform

Introduce a new Act of the Union to act as a codified UK Constitution which reforms the UK political structure into a federation between the four countries of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and sets out the powers reserved to the federal level and a new British Bill of Rights to replace the existing Human Rights Act 1998 with a constitutional convention tasked with this made up of representatives of the political parties, academia, civic society and members of the public from all four nations

Require amendments to the new codified constitution to pass either a two third majority of the House of Commons and double two third majority of the Senate or a referendum requiring a double majority of voters

Amend the Fixed Terms Parliament Act with general elections held every four years instead of five years

Change the House of Commons voting system to AV Plus

Reduce the number of MPs in the House of Commons to 450 by halving the number of MPs in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in the Commons giving a total of 300 constituency members elected under AV and add an additional top up of 150 MPs elected from NUTS1 regional constituencies under semi open party list PR

Reform the House of Lords to an elected 225-member Senate of the United Kingdom using proposals in the House of Lords Reform Act 2012, with 1/3 of the house elected at every general election with elected Senators serving a 12-year term with members elected from NUTS1 regional constituencies under Semi Open Party List PR in Great Britain and STV in Northern Ireland, Senators for each regions

Require bills put through UK Parliament that isn’t a reserved power to require a double majority pass in the Senate, meaning a majority in the Senate and Senators of all four nations

Reform the Supreme Court with 3 justices from each nation of the UK making up the court who will be appointed by the Prime Minister on advice of four independent commissions for each nation responsible for recommending justice appointments

Introduce an Open Primaries Bill to require political parties to widen their selection process to include every local voter for local candidates and party leaders. Open Primary ballots would help ensure candidates in winnable seats need not be Westminster insiders. Open Primary ballots for party leadership elections would require a campaign period between six to twelve weeks with voting taking place under AV

Introduce a Right of Recall Bill to allow voters to sack their local MP. If 20% of an MP’s constituents demand it, within a period of eight weeks, a recall ballot will be triggered to take place in six weeks with voting under AV

Introduce a Confirmation Hearings Bill that will require Commons Select Committees to vote to approve the appointment of any new minister, senior civil servant or senior diplomat before they get the job. They will also have the power to veto such appointments. The same rules will apply to senior appointments to quangos and inspection bodies

Reduce voting age to 16 in all elections and referenda

Make the Early May Bank Holiday a public holiday known as Great Britain day celebrating the 1707 Act of the Union were the union between England and Scotland took effect on 1st May 1707

Make the saints days public holidays in their respective parts of the UK including St George's Day 23rd April for England, St David's Day 1st March for Wales, St Andrew's Day 30th November for Scotland, St Patrick's Day 17th March for Northern Ireland

Public holidays for Robert Burns Day on 25th January and replace the Late May Spring bank holiday with a public holiday on The Queen's Official Birthday on the second Monday of June

Have ‘Rule Britannia’ as the UK national anthem and introduce ‘Jerusalem’ as the national anthem for England and ‘Danny Boy’ as the national anthem for Northern Ireland while maintaining ‘Flower of Scotland’ as the national anthem for Scotland and ‘Land of My Fathers’ as the national anthem of Wales while ‘God Save The Queen’ remains a monarchy anthem

Make the Deputy Prime Minister a permanent role in Government who by right of office would be the First Secretary of State and Leader of the House of Commons and will become Prime Minister if the Prime Minister is temporarily or permanently incapacitated

Rename all Government departments to Government Ministries (such as ‘Ministry of Health’) with exception of the Foreign Office, Home Office, Scotland Office, Wales Office & Northern Ireland Office

Welfare

Devolve all welfare benefits to subnational level that are currently devolved to Scotland which include: Personal Independence Payments, Carer's Allowance, Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Winter Fuel Payments, Cold Weather Payments, Severe Disablement Allowance, Industrial Injuries Disability Benefits, Funeral Expenses Payments, Sure Start Maternity Grant and Discretionary Housing Payments

Introduce an electronic system that allows state welfare departments to issue benefits via a magnetically encoded payment card known as a ‘Universal Credit Card’ which can be used to buy foods such as breads and cereals; fruits and vegetables; meats, fish and poultry; dairy products and seeds and plants which produce food for the household to eat and not unhealthy items such as tobacco and alcohol

Support the continuation of the bedroom tax

Encourage the use of private retirement savings plans by making earnings, directly put into a pensions savings account, tax-exempt and not considered as part of the individual’s income for taxation purposes

Aim to give guide dogs to all UK citizens who are blind

Maintain limit of child tax credits to two children except in cases of triplets or any larger multiple birth in the first birth, or any multiple birth in the second birth

No welfare benefits for non-UK citizens

Introduce Veterans First policy for former and injured police, fire, medic and army, navy, air force personal that give additional benefits with cooperation with the Ministry of Welfare and Ministry of Health

The Monarchy

Reform parts of the Monarchy in a way to appease both Monarchists and Republicans with:

Introduction of the Royal finances reform charter which has UK Parliament to set an annual fixed budget for the monarchy - including an annual salary for the Queen - to be managed and reported on by a government minister, not Buckingham Palace.

All security costs of the institution of the Monarchy to be made transparent and accountable. All costs of royal visits around the country to be incorporated into the monarchy's budget, not met by local authorities

All members of the royal household to be required to follow the same tax laws and rules as all other public bodies and private individuals

Transfer the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall into public ownership, with all revenue going to the Treasury

End the weekly meetings between the Prime Minister and the Monarch and insure the Monarch and Royal household remains fully independent from the government and politics

England and Local Government

Introduce a bi-cameral English Parliament with 350-member lower House of Representatives and 180 upper Senate of England for English domestic affairs such as law, education, health and similar matters not reserved to the UK Houses of Parliament with England only ministerial and non-ministerial departments devolved such as Ministry of Justice and the Department of Health

With the creation of an English Parliament create a codified English Constitution which establishes a federal England within a federal UK with powers reserved to the English Parliament, such as English Law, Health, Education and allow the Ceremonial Counties of England to legislate on all matters not reserved to English and UK levels

Replace County Councils and combined authorities with County Assemblies for each of England's ceremonial counties (excluding City of London) led by a directly elected Governor with powers to legislate on anything not reserved to the UK and English Parliaments such as control of their own county police service, fire and rescue, emergency services, infrastructure, housing, local taxation including LST, economic development, franchising of local bus and rail services, power to increase the minimum wage, hunting policy and regulations

Reform local governance with all local councils having powers that of unitary authorities and levying their own level of council tax which include district councils of England and Boroughs of London all led by a directly elected Mayor with council to scrutinise their work

Devolve all powers and functions of the Department of Communities and Local Government to County Assemblies and Local Councils

Give counties, councils and the GLA sovereignty to introduce new taxes for additional revenue such as a local rate of income tax, local business rates, fees for services or nothing at all

Policies regarding School admissions policies, hospital cleanliness, speed bumps, council workers’ wages solved by local councils as opposed to Whitehall

Allow councils to raise the remainder of their budgets by whatever means their electorates approve with options for additional top-up revenue would be fees and charges for services, a local income tax, a property-based levy, a local business rate or nothing at all

Have federal and subnational governments give extra funds to more deprived councils if needed

Law

Ban age verification policies in retail outlets, bars and clubs. It should be the responsibility of parents to parent children on not buying items like this not the government or retail industry they nor employees shouldn’t be fined or fired due to lazy parenting

Ban wearing of the niqab and the burqa in public places

Reverse the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 by allowing the four breeds to be allowed in the UK

Reform of prison system which prevent prisoners from interacting with each other for security purposes, prisoners are better not interacting with other prisoners as they will just attack each other

Establish a legal commission to draw up proposals to disband sharia councils.

Order

Have police and fire divisions for each of England's ceremonial counties

Merge the City of London Police Service with the London Metropolitan Police Service

Merge the role of Police and Crime Commissioners with County Governors, with real powers to direct the local police force priorities and responsibility for supervising prosecutions and punishments, appoint and dismiss Chief Constables, set their own targets for the force, make their own Policing Plans, control their own budgets and allocated his or her funding as a block allocation and the power to set local sentencing guidelines

Allow judges in England and Wales to give death sentences to criminals found guilty of acts of murder, manslaughter, acts of terrorism and child sex crimes provided the convicted has been found guilty by all 12 jurors

Allow judges to issue full life sentences without parole to criminals who have committed the crimes of murder, attempted murder, conspiracy to commit murder, terrorism, severe child abuse, rape, espionage, treason, high treason, drug dealing, drug trafficking, drug possession, human trafficking, severe cases of fraud, severe cases of financial crimes, aggravated criminal damage in law, aggravated cases of arson, kidnapping, burglary or robbery which result in death or grievous bodily harm, piracy, and in certain cases genocide, ethnic cleansing, crimes against humanity and certain war crimes

Triple the maximum prison sentences for crimes with County Governors (who by right will be Sherriff of their local police force) having the power to increase the minimum sentences for crimes within their county

Introduce three strikes law system for violent crimes in which if a criminal is found guilty of committing a violent crime for the third time the criminal is given a life sentence without parole

Classify gangs as terrorist groups and give full life sentences for members of gangs with possibility of parole if gang member tells the group he is leaving and reveals full details of the gang to police

Have all police officers on patrol wearing duty belts that consist of a handgun, a Taser, an expandable baton, pepper spray, a set of handcuffs, ammunition magazines, gloves, torch and a two-way radio

Invest more money and power into the National Crime Agency, including tripling its number of officers and staff and extending its policing powers with the creation of a ninth NCA command on terrorism which would focus on the co-ordination and leading on UK-wide national counter-terrorism matters transferred from the London Met and create a new main HQ for the NCA in the City of London as well as eight regional HQs for each region of the UK

Have the NCA put a larger emphasis on crime conducted by UK nationals abroad, notably on sex gangs and rape of peoples abroad such as popular holiday destinations of young people such as Magaluf and Ibiza with convicts facing full force of the law

Crackdown on student rape cases at university campuses and abroad (rape/sex offenses committed among young people on vacation with criminals facing full force of law)

Zero-tolerance approach to unacceptable ‘cultural’ practices such as female genital mutilation (FGM)

Lifetime bans for owning animals for individuals who have been convicted of animal cruelty

Relax laws on firearm ownership by allowing the sale of handguns, rifles and shotguns to consumers who have a license which is gained after passing a successful background check, sales also subjected to a 10% firearms duty included in the price as well as LST and gun must be registered to a non-ministerial ‘Firearms Licensing Agency’

Transport

Continue with HS2 and extend project to Newcastle and Scotland

Scrap monopolies of long-distance railways

Devolve franchising of local rail and bus services to the English counties with the option of renationalisation available

Energy

Support development of shale gas in land where appropriate

Scotland

Introduce directly elected Provosts (known as Mayors in other counties) for each local authority unit in Scotland with a local council to scrutinise the work of the Provost and the power to pass and block the Provost's proposals

Allow local councils to levy their own council tax and the right to introduce new taxes for additional revenue such as a local rate of income tax, local business rates, fees for services or nothing at all

Introduce a codified constitution for Scotland which establishes additional human rights and powers reserved to the Scottish Parliament

Abolish Police Scotland and Scottish Fire and Rescue and have 13 local police and fire divisions for Argyll and West Dunbartonshire, Ayrshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Edinburgh, Fife, Forth Valley, Greater Glasgow, Highland and Islands, Lanarkshire, Grampian, Renfrewshire and Inverclyde, Tayside, and the Lothians and Scottish Borders

Set up Police and Fire Commissions consisting of the directly elected Provosts within each of the 13 police and fire areas with responsibility to hold the local police and fire services to account. They will have real powers to direct priorities, responsibility for supervising prosecutions and punishments, entitled to order and drop prosecutions, appoint and dismiss Chief Constables and Chief Officers, set their own targets, make their own Plans, control their own budgets and allocated his or her funding as a block allocation and the power to set local sentencing guidelines

Repeal the Alcohol (Minimum Pricing) Bill

Oppose plans to ban multi buy deals on fast food

Hold referendum on the reintroduction of capital punishment in Scotland for murder and child sex offenses

Build a new modern 75,000 plus capacity stadium with a retractable roof in Edinburgh to replace both Hampden and Murrayfield as the home of international football and rugby matches

Abolish 'NAB' internal assessments for subjects to free up class time

Replace National 1-5 qualifications with a single National Certificate of Secondary Education (NCSE) with all school pupils will be required to sit a minimum of six NCSE examinations at the end of S4

Require all school pupils who pass at least five NCSEs to sit five Higher examinations in S5 and those who pass at least three Highers to sit three Advanced Highers and a fourth subject either a Higher in a subject they dropped after NCSE level, a crash Higher or a vocational qualification such as sports leadership

Replace National 1-5, Higher and Advanced Higher Modern Studies with NCSE, Higher and Advanced Higher Politics focusing on the political side of Modern Studies while Modern Studies itself becomes a non-examined subject with Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE) and Religious Education to teach all Scottish pupils political and social issues in Scotland, the UK and international contexts

Replace mandatory Physical Education with Gym class with activities restricted to athletics and gym fitness, encourage pupils to take part in sporting clubs after school

Encourage all pupils in Primary school and S1-S3 of Secondary school to join a school sporting club held after school every day from a wide variety of sports including football, rugby, cricket, tennis, netball, American football, baseball, basketball, hockey, Gaelic football, athletics, dance, cheerleading and gym fitness

In addition to the UK pledge of allegiance, require pupils to pledge allegiance to Scotland at the start of school: “On my honour, I pledge allegiance to the flag and to the people of Scotland, to do my duty for my community, to help other people, for Queen and country”.

Reform how examinations are graded to better value the success and ability of pupils including the introduction of an ‘A*’ grade. Reforms to NCSE, Higher and Advanced Higher gradings as followed:

Grade

Percentage

A*

85% - 100%

A

70% - 84%

B

60% - 69%

C

50% - 59%

D

45% - 49%

E

40% - 44%

F

0% - 39%

Wales

Set up a separate Welsh jurisdiction in charge of its own legal system

Have Wales’ 22 local councils led by a directly elected Mayor with Councils to scrutinise their work

Have six police and fire forces for the six local areas of Glamorgan, Gwent, Powys, Dyfed, Clwyd and Gwynedd with directly elected Police and Fire Commissions consisting of directly elected Provosts within each area holding each force to account

Northern Ireland

Maintain and respect the Good Friday Agreement, Northern Ireland’s unofficial constitution

Work with Northern Ireland parties to insure the Assembly is running 24/7 and only have direct Westminster rule as a last resort

Ban religious parades in Northern Ireland

Reintroduce capital punishment in Northern Ireland for murder offenses, sex offenses, severe cases of voluntary manslaughter and terrorism offenses

No funding for religiously biased schools in Northern Ireland and ensure all state-run schools are secular in nature

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending