The Student Room Group

British army gap year commission?

hi i'm in lower 6th at a good girls' school & thinking about applying for a gap year in the british army.

the website is really vague - does anyone have any information or experience about this??

is it the same thing as joining the army as a junior officer? would i be working in warzones? i see myself as a capable leader but even then the idea of leading trained and experienced troops as an 18 yr old girl is intimidating!

how competitive is the application process? will good grades at GCSE and good predicted grades be enough? in terms of extracurricular i don't have anything the army would be particularly interested in (only music - no sport or DofE etc)

thank you!!
There's no way you'd be working in a warzone if you're getting commissioned after 8 weeks, considering the full Officer training is 44 weeks in length.
What’s the point...
Reply 3
Original post by SFASPIRANT
There's no way you'd be working in a warzone if you're getting commissioned after 8 weeks, considering the full Officer training is 44 weeks in length.

The limitation would more likely be not being able to fit in pre deployment training and everything else that goes with an operational tour rather than the 8 weeks at Sandhurst. The reserve commissioning course is shorter than the GYC one.
I didn't know this was still a thing.

We had a few with us in Germany. Don't think many of the troops took them seriously though.
Reply 5
I am currently in the process of signing up for the GYC, recently completing my medical.

From what me and other candidates discussed I gathered:
- It has been run as the SSLCC in 2006 and you can find some stuff on Arrse (Army/Veteran forums)
- 8 Week commissioning course (Reserve Commission) at RMA Sandhurst.
- Attachment to a regiment for a year till you go to University the next year.
- If your regiment goes on exercise you can go with them but you might be limited on how much you can do ie Live firing etc.
- You will be either in charge of 30 men (a platoon) or shadowing another officer and taking command when appropriate.
- You have the offer of coming back to the army as a reserve officer (No need to go back sandhurst) or go into the Regular Army as an officer (44 weeks in Sandhurst) which I find good as you automatically have a job offer for when you finish your degree and I think you can get a bursary at uni from the army of £2k a year.
- From what people on the previous GYC/SSLCC said they got offered a cadetship (like a job offer) for when they go back to Sandhurst.

Although you go to a good school they won't be looking at that for the selection on main board as you get a number and there is a scoring system. If you meet that you get in I believe. Same as normal AOSB. I say this as I asked on me interview would I be at a disadvantage as of me being from Liverpool and in a poorly performing college.
But there was a few lads on my medical from Eaton, Harrow etc and not many from my background.

You will also get to go on 2 regimental visits, so see the Royal Engineers or the Royal Armored Corps at their barracks for three days. Go on two as it will help you decide on what you want to do in the army. Sort of like visiting Unis to see if it right for you. These take place after your medical.

When you apply you will get a Candidate Support Manager (CSM), make sure you say you are wanting to do the GYC as there isn't an option to pick this and I nearly missed cut off for the GYC as I was on regular entry.
They will be able to give you what limited info they have on the GYC, trust me there isn't much on the internet and this is all I was told.

Goodluck though! Feel free to PM me over this and I can update you on the process.
Reply 6
Original post by SFASPIRANT

The reserve commissioning course is only 8 weeks, same as the PQO
Hi! Have you had the briefing yet? If so, any tips? I have mine soon.
Reply 8
Original post by oliveolivia
Hi! Have you had the briefing yet? If so, any tips? I have mine soon.

Hi Olivia,
I haven't had mine yet but I will have mine completed soon. Best things i can suggest are:
- Be on top of your current affairs (we had one with the infantry and got asked about Football, Politics Leaders and members of the cabinet)
- Do some practice plan exercises as these take so long to do.
- Have an opinion and back it up as there could be group discussion.

Just push yourself on the physical, don't hold back otherwise you'll regret it.
Best of luck,
Feel free to inbox me as you may be on the same one as me! [Just going by the forum, don't post the dates youre on AOSB Briefing]
Reply 9
[BUMP]
So I have finished the whole selection process and I am now able to say I have passed the AOSB.

But I got a 24 month delay on my entry to RMAS. That means no Gap Year Commission for me.
In the grand scheme of things, I wanted to join the armed forces for a long time and I feel the gap year commission is more suited to those who are curious of the army life style but aren't sure whether they would like it or not. So instead I am going to University, grabbing that sweet sweet army bursary money which you can do once you have finished AOSB with a pass and then joining up as soon as I finish my degree.

Any questions about the process, preparation or anything related feel free to still contact me!
Original post by TheMicks
I am currently in the process of signing up for the GYC, recently completing my medical.

From what me and other candidates discussed I gathered:
- It has been run as the SSLCC in 2006 and you can find some stuff on Arrse (Army/Veteran forums)
- 8 Week commissioning course (Reserve Commission) at RMA Sandhurst.
- Attachment to a regiment for a year till you go to University the next year.
- If your regiment goes on exercise you can go with them but you might be limited on how much you can do ie Live firing etc.
- You will be either in charge of 30 men (a platoon) or shadowing another officer and taking command when appropriate.
- You have the offer of coming back to the army as a reserve officer (No need to go back sandhurst) or go into the Regular Army as an officer (44 weeks in Sandhurst) which I find good as you automatically have a job offer for when you finish your degree and I think you can get a bursary at uni from the army of £2k a year.
- From what people on the previous GYC/SSLCC said they got offered a cadetship (like a job offer) for when they go back to Sandhurst.

Although you go to a good school they won't be looking at that for the selection on main board as you get a number and there is a scoring system. If you meet that you get in I believe. Same as normal AOSB. I say this as I asked on me interview would I be at a disadvantage as of me being from Liverpool and in a poorly performing college.
But there was a few lads on my medical from Eaton, Harrow etc and not many from my background.

You will also get to go on 2 regimental visits, so see the Royal Engineers or the Royal Armored Corps at their barracks for three days. Go on two as it will help you decide on what you want to do in the army. Sort of like visiting Unis to see if it right for you. These take place after your medical.

When you apply you will get a Candidate Support Manager (CSM), make sure you say you are wanting to do the GYC as there isn't an option to pick this and I nearly missed cut off for the GYC as I was on regular entry.
They will be able to give you what limited info they have on the GYC, trust me there isn't much on the internet and this is all I was told.

Goodluck though! Feel free to PM me over this and I can update you on the process.

So which would you say are the most worthwhile regiments going to ?
Original post by Vercingeterix
So which would you say are the most worthwhile regiments going to ?

All depends on what you want to do. That's a very broad question.
I originally went for Irish Guards and Infantry in general, now I am here sponsored by the Corps of Royal Engineers and planning to go with them. It all depends on what regiment you feel a connection with at an officer level.
I felt a connection with the none commissioned side of the Irish Guards but when I went the officer interview I felt very out of place.
I am hoping to join RAF after but I have a high chance of not getting into the fast jet pilot training because of my height . So I wanted to do GYC as the army air corps would be my next option . Do you know of anyone who has done GYC with the AAC and what things have they done
I am hoping to join RAF after but I have a high chance of not getting into the fast jet pilot training because of my height . So I wanted to do GYC as the army air corps would be my next option . Do you know of anyone who has done GYC with the AAC and what things have they done

AAC is primarily Apache, as a GYC you won't be likely to fly and aircraft as the training is at least a year.
I don't know anyone who has been on it as it was new when I applied and literally nobody heard of it.
So would you say it’s worth going with the tank regiment for example where you will have the opportunity to go in and use the vehicle
So would you say it’s worth going with the tank regiment for example where you will have the opportunity to go in and use the vehicle

Potentially, yes.
You do regimental visits during your application (as long as you are 18 at this point) and can see a few regiments. I saw the Engineers and they said I would be doing 6 months in Canada on armoured engineering which involved driving or operating an armoured vehicle.
I would say you get a lot more out or Non-infantry regiments than infantry regiments as they can pass you round to different troops who might be doing different & more interesting tasks.
Reply 16
Potentially, but as an infantry officer you gain the same skills in leadership and command and control as you would any where else in the army. The only regiment that is not on the GYC is intelligence due to the extra security checks needed. You also have to remember as a GYC officer is where regiments are currently deployed and what you want to be in the future. It is no good going Engineers ( not saying they are bad, I have many friends who are CO of engineer regiments) if you will after uni want to become an infantry officer.
do you get holidays/half term in the GYC does anyone know?
I imagine you’d be allowed to take some leave. “Half-Term” and other academic breaks stop existing when you leave school - you only get time off when you take leave.

Quick Reply

Latest