The Student Room Group

What is the average size class in a sixth form college?

Just wondering.
Reply 1
It really depends on the centre. In some it’ll be 8, in some it’ll be 25, etc..
Reply 2
Original post by Mikos
It really depends on the centre. In some it’ll be 8, in some it’ll be 25, etc..

I'm doing BTEC level 3 ICT extended diploma
smallest we have is 2 And the largest is just over 30
Original post by haseeb_jarral
smallest we have is 2 And the largest is just over 30

2? Oh I hope mine are only 2 big. Is it likely that any of them will be under 10, given that I'm doing maths, biology and Spanish?
Original post by HowToBeABlobfish
2? Oh I hope mine are only 2 big. Is it likely that any of them will be under 10, given that I'm doing maths, biology and Spanish?

maths and biology will probably have larger classes of around 25 but Spanish may have around 15-20 but it depends on your 6th form.
Yh German only has 2 students this year lol in our 6th form
Reply 6
Another thing is that is a Sixth form college similar to a sixth form? Just bigger?
Original post by Agent456
Just wondering.

My school has a tiny sixth form, I think there is about 40 in the whole year group. Probably because the grade requirements are quite high. But I think it really varies from place to place.
Original post by Agent456
Another thing is that is a Sixth form college similar to a sixth form? Just bigger?

It is similar but different. At a school sixth form, mostly everyone will be around the same age as you. At a college, the age of students can be very different ranging from 18 to 60.

Timetables are also different at a college compared to a school. Schools give you less free time while at a college, you may be in for only half a day.

Colleges also offer more qualifications than a sixth form at a school. At a school sixth form, only A Levels are offered. At a college, professional qualifications are also offered. Some colleges also offer qualifications higher than A Levels like HNDs and even degrees.

Studying at a college will definitely give you a different experience to going to a school sixth form.
My childrens high school has a huge 6th form of over 150 students. They regularly have 20 or 25 in each class. My friends school has a tiny 6th form and has several classes with just 3 or 4 students. The smaller class school has a dreadful OFSTED rating with very low (bottom 1% in the country) attainment at GCSE but their 6th form is outstanding and is the top in the county.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending