The Student Room Group

Worst mistakes made during uni

Scroll to see replies

I second a lot of what others have said above. Also massively regret injuring my knee because its had such a long term impact on both my mental and physical health. Not that I could have changed getting the injury but... Biggest regret would probably be working too much and not focusing 100% on my studies. I mean I still came out with a first and am working on publication but I didn't really max out the way I should have, until my final essay. This has really pissed off my favourite lecturer/tutor and he called me a dissappointment and said I'd plateaued. Writing it makes it sound harsher that it was, but there is truth in what he said. I should have used my undergrad to constantly push higher. Just have to make sure I don't make the same mistake on my MA.
Reply 61
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Definitely check out the socieities, there are usually lots of cool/obscure ones. I had friends who learned to scuba dive, hot air balloon and clay pigeon shoot all while at uni!

That’s amazing 😊 😍
Settling for the grade that I got for assignments and saying 'at least I passed' where I could have gotten higher grades if I looked at previous feedbacks from previous assignments in first year. But now that I'm going to second year, I want to change that. Also, not going to events during Freshers' Week and other events my uni's SU had.
I regret not taking a certain module because it looked 'hard'. That module would have been a really good thing to put in the skills on my CV.
The 'easy' module I took instead I ended up only getting 60 in! My average for that year was 65, so it was my second lowest grade.
Drinking too much and having a terrible diet meaning I got really unhealthy. Not joining societies when I had the free time in 1st and 2nd year. Not starting or planning work early enough. So much time wasted eating frozen pizza, drinking tinnies and playing Xbox.
Not making a great effort with my personal tutor. Not accessing student support during a difficult time.
Hope those who are still in some sort of education make the most of it.
All nighters up till third year. Never do that **** srs, it made me want to die. I once pulled an all nighter, so 27 hours without sleep on the eve of an exam. Unreal.

Kek at inebriate fanny's who drink their loan away, and complain all they can afford is smart price noodles.

Not seeking experience and engaging in activities until third year. I had to essentially build my CV in one year lmao, if you have the opportunity to participate in free **** in first and second year, do it. It is MUCH EASIER than cramming 3/4 different activities in your week, just so you have **** to say at job interviews.
Reply 67
- Choosing my course
- Choosing the wrong accomodation
- Being in a long-distance relationship that was going to fail anyway,
- Which led to me resitting 4 exams
But mistakes make you stronger so hey ho
Original post by londonmyst
The university has a terrible image problem and has become too much of a hub for cranks leading to cuts in government funding.
Losing EU funding meant desperation, big financial cuts and a dependence on alternative means of generating funding.

There is one senior science lecturer who is pure evil with his own large faction of staff and students.
Every year he choose 3-4 people to bully and makes their lives miserable until the day they leave.
He's a a blackmailer and a thug- but over the years he has built up access to important contacts, funding networks and is politically connected.
No one in their right mind gets on the wrong side of him.
A few victims were too frightened to attend their graduation ceremonies, knowing that he was presiding.

The university lets him rule as if he's a roman emperor.
Confidential complaints to the registry from witnesses about him being violent and abusive to students are immediately passed on to him.
He demands the courseworks and exam papers of all the students he bullies are brought to his office so he can fail them below 20%- the other staff mostly obey him.
A few of the bravest senior lecturers go behind his back and play ping pong with student grades after he's issued the fails.

Everytime I set foot on that campus I hear him yelling the vilest abuse, having violent fights with students and making foul threats.
My father has known him for decades and wasn't at all surprised when I told him the things I'd seen.

It's like the law doesn't apply to him and anyone who mentions it gets cold shouldered or worse.
A few staff members openly do drugs to cope, dance around campus high and totally off their faces.
The atmosphere on the science campus is absolutely terrifying, most people are depressed, cowed and walking on egg shells.

Wtf kind of uni is this

Surely not in the UK
Original post by Carpe Diem Jay
Wtf kind of uni is this

Surely not in the UK

It's the uni of overtherainbow and is located in cloudcuckooland
Making too many (like, 40+) shallow/transient friendships, instead of working hard to develop a handful of really strong ones.
-not being part of any societies in my first year
-not taking more opportunities
-not being as social as I would've liked
-revising last minute
-handing in coursework late
I regret spending too much time studying and working as a postgrad, not enough time supporting bullied younger students.
A few of the victims have died.
Others have been left totally broken by years of lecturer insults and violent abuse from other students.

Holy ****, is this a serious problem? And I feel bad for you, I too have had a similar situation to you with my older brother who had almost died from a drug overdose. I felt guilty and responsible. It wasn't your fault the students died :smile:
Not being organised!
the university i chose
Quite a good thread going on compared to the other junk on tsr.

Im currently a 3rd year at Uni of Manchester, the biggest regret so far were choosing the wrong group of mates. I met a few decent people on my course at the beginning but later fell into a crowd in my halls who were obsessed with taking various drugs such as k3t and mdy, and boozing out at dnb raves. This took a massive knock on affect on my academic career, and almost failed first year. Although I enjoyed it at the time, I no longer mix with that group. The Uni of Manchester night scene is so awash with drugs its so hard to avoid. After putting so much cr*p in my system I ended up re-taking some of the year 1 modules and suffered with deterioration in my mental health.

My other big regret is not joining societies or sports clubs in my 1st and 2nd year, primarily due to me just focusing on work and going out and getting p***ed. I would like to join sports clubs such as hockey and/ or rugby, but fear I may fall into the same trap.

Moreover I partially regret going to Manchester, although I received a offer at my local uni, which happens to be a red brick uni. I have now lost the group of mates I once had back at home, due to the fact I moved to Manchester
So sorry to hear about your brother, I hope things start looking up for him very soon.:smile:

The abuse and violence are truly horrific, it's the worst bullying I've ever seen and unlikely to change any time soon.
The atmosphere on that campus is so hostile and intimidating, even the junior staff that don't participate walk around on eggshells or in a drug daze.
One bullying rotter making vulnerable student's lives miserable and wrecking campus life for everyone.

Its wonderful of you to try make me feel better.
One girl died a few months before I joined the uni but I know I should have tried to help some of the other victims know that they weren't to blame or alone.
I know how it feels to be bullied, when I was 13-15 the school bullies came after me and made me a laughing stock for weeks.
I only got through those days because of my amazing best friend and dozens of other students who came to support me, most of them older student I'd never spoken to before. I had so many kind strangers giving me hugs, reassurance, warning when the bullies were coming and offering to walk with me.
It would only have taken a few minutes of my time to do the same for bullied undergrads worn down and isolated by nonstop abuse, its absolutely shameful that I didn't bother.

Original post by AutisticMedic1
Holy ****, is this a serious problem? And I feel bad for you, I too have had a similar situation to you with my older brother who had almost died from a drug overdose. I felt guilty and responsible. It wasn't your fault the students died :smile:
The university has a terrible image problem and has become too much of a hub for cranks leading to cuts in government funding.
Losing EU funding meant desperation, big financial cuts and a dependence on alternative means of generating funding.

There is one senior science lecturer who is pure evil with his own large faction of staff and students.
Every year he choose 3-4 people to bully and makes their lives miserable until the day they leave.
He's a a blackmailer and a thug- but over the years he has built up access to important contacts, funding networks and is politically connected.
No one in their right mind gets on the wrong side of him.
A few victims were too frightened to attend their graduation ceremonies, knowing that he was presiding.

The university lets him rule as if he's a roman emperor.
Confidential complaints to the registry from witnesses about him being violent and abusive to students are immediately passed on to him.
He demands the courseworks and exam papers of all the students he bullies are brought to his office so he can fail them below 20%- the other staff mostly obey him.
A few of the bravest senior lecturers go behind his back and play ping pong with student grades after he's issued the fails.

Everytime I set foot on that campus I hear him yelling the vilest abuse, having violent fights with students and making foul threats.
My father has known him for decades and wasn't at all surprised when I told him the things I'd seen.

It's like the law doesn't apply to him and anyone who mentions it gets cold shouldered or worse.
A few staff members openly do drugs to cope, dance around campus high and totally off their faces.
The atmosphere on the science campus is absolutely terrifying, most people are depressed, cowed and walking on egg shells.

That uhh sounds like some Fletcher from Whiplash **** right there. Throw a chair at his head. Hope no one else makes any horrible decisions because of him :/
So sorry to hear about your brother, I hope things start looking up for him very soon.:smile:

The abuse and violence are truly horrific, it's the worst bullying I've ever seen and unlikely to change any time soon.
The atmosphere on that campus is so hostile and intimidating, even the junior staff that don't participate walk around on eggshells or in a drug daze.
One bullying rotter making vulnerable student's lives miserable and wrecking campus life for everyone.

Its wonderful of you to try make me feel better.
One girl died a few months before I joined the uni but I know I should have tried to help some of the other victims know that they weren't to blame or alone.
I know how it feels to be bullied, when I was 13-15 the school bullies came after me and made me a laughing stock for weeks.
I only got through those days because of my amazing best friend and dozens of other students who came to support me, most of them older student I'd never spoken to before. I had so many kind strangers giving me hugs, reassurance, warning when the bullies were coming and offering to walk with me.
It would only have taken a few minutes of my time to do the same for bullied undergrads worn down and isolated by nonstop abuse, its absolutely shameful that I didn't bother.

It's not your fault, I feel the same as you. You always have those "what if" moments. Like what if I stepped in? What if I acted sooner? I have that exact feeling. Just know that you aren't alone. :smile:
Thanks.
You are so kind.:biggrin:

Original post by AutisticMedic1
It's not your fault, I feel the same as you. You always have those "what if" moments. Like what if I stepped in? What if I acted sooner? I have that exact feeling. Just know that you aren't alone. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending