The Student Room Group

Stress to success? || A Year 11 GYG!

Intro
Hi! I’m starting Year 11 this year and so I’m making a GYG for the first time :smile:
I expect I’ll probably forget about it, but hopefully I’ll remember to update it at least once a month!
My parents and extended family have very high expectations of me so I’ve decided to attempt to live up to them... if that’s even possible lol.
My hobbies are piano and karate (currently working towards my second black belt... another thing to be stressed about!) and I’m considering joining the hockey team this year!

Year 10 Grades to Hopeful GCSE Grade
(My school predicted me all 9s, but tbh I don’t like their system for predicting grades 😅)
Maths: 9 to 9
Further Maths: N/A to 9
Latin: 9 to 9
French: 9 to 9

Chemistry: 8 to 9
Physics: 8 to 9
History: 8 to 9

English Lang: 7 to 8
English Lit: N/A to 8 (we only had the Lang test in Y10)
Biology: 7 to 8

HPQ: A* (already got in Y9)

The Future
A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, History, Latin (considering economics instead of history but not sure if it’s essay-based enough to do Law at uni)
Uni: law or maths at hopefully Oxford or LSE!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

hello :wavey:

i’m in year 11 too with a gyg of my own!

good luck (HELP ME with maths pls and thank you)
Original post by clouddbubbles
hello :wavey:

i’m in year 11 too with a gyg of my own!

good luck (HELP ME with maths pls and thank you)

Hi!
I’ll find and follow your gyg- I need motivation lol
Good luck to you too!
I’m always up to give maths help but I’m so bad at explaining stuff 😂
Good luck - amazing set of predicted grades! I'll be following :smile:
Original post by pinegrove
Good luck - amazing set of predicted grades! I'll be following :smile:

Thank you!
Oooh going into year 11 too! Whoaaa, how are you so good at everything...?? Teach me your ways aha
Original post by bowl-of-rice
Oooh going into year 11 too! Whoaaa, how are you so good at everything...?? Teach me your ways aha

Haha thanks! Honestly i think the only reason I do well is because I look at the exam specifications and find out what they want us to know (like in my history exam specification it says for each topic what the main theme is, like “change and continuity” or “cause and effect”) and then I only study the stuff that matters (aka the stuff they’ll actually ask questions on) :smile:
Going into year 11 too and have just posted my own GYG (shameless self promo) , what position(s) are you considering for hockey?
Original post by ginevrafanshawe
Haha thanks! Honestly i think the only reason I do well is because I look at the exam specifications and find out what they want us to know (like in my history exam specification it says for each topic what the main theme is, like “change and continuity” or “cause and effect”) and then I only study the stuff that matters (aka the stuff they’ll actually ask questions on) :smile:

Whoaaa:gasp:- that's actually really useful since I suck at history. I revise the least for it, cause history revision always seems the most daunting (too much content!). But now I know that I don't really need to memorise the whole textbook. I still feel like if I'm going to fail one of my subjects it's gonna be history aha:colondollar:
I love your motivation:wink:
Good Luck! You've got this :smile:
ooo wish you the best of luck
Original post by eleanoric
Going into year 11 too and have just posted my own GYG (shameless self promo) , what position(s) are you considering for hockey?

Hey, I know this is a really late reply but tbh I don’t check TSR very often haha
I’ll check your GYG out :smile:
From our practices so far I think probably defence, since I’m good at tackling but I don’t think I’m aggressive enough to be an attacker haha
Original post by Grade A
I love your motivation:wink:
Good Luck! You've got this :smile:

Original post by huda122
ooo wish you the best of luck

Thank you both! Sorry for the late reply haha
My first update!

So far, I’m really enjoying being back at school! Due to a good friend leaving, I’ve been speaking to lots of new people which is great, and I’ve been going to hockey practices; I think I might actually have a shot at getting onto the team sometime this year! Although my goal is to get on it next year, when I’m not doing any exams :smile:

When it comes to grades, I’ve had 4 tests so far (not including small quizzes eg vocab quizzes)
Biology: human transport: 90%
Chemistry: calculations: 92%
Physics: astrophysics: 94%
French: speaking: 8/9

Overall, I’m very happy and these scores have motivated me to keep trying since it seems to be working!

I definitely need to work on my French speaking as that’s my weakest part of French for sure; I’m going to try listening to some French news and YouTube videos to try to learn correct pronunciation. If anyone has any other tips for speaking, please let me know!

I hope you’re all having a great time at school, and if you’re not don’t worry; things will get better, even if right now they seem like they won’t.

Good luck to everyone!
:smile:
Original post by ginevrafanshawe
My first update!

So far, I’m really enjoying being back at school! Due to a good friend leaving, I’ve been speaking to lots of new people which is great, and I’ve been going to hockey practices; I think I might actually have a shot at getting onto the team sometime this year! Although my goal is to get on it next year, when I’m not doing any exams :smile:

When it comes to grades, I’ve had 4 tests so far (not including small quizzes eg vocab quizzes)
Biology: human transport: 90%
Chemistry: calculations: 92%
Physics: astrophysics: 94%
French: speaking: 8/9

Overall, I’m very happy and these scores have motivated me to keep trying since it seems to be working!

I definitely need to work on my French speaking as that’s my weakest part of French for sure; I’m going to try listening to some French news and YouTube videos to try to learn correct pronunciation. If anyone has any other tips for speaking, please let me know!

I hope you’re all having a great time at school, and if you’re not don’t worry; things will get better, even if right now they seem like they won’t.

Good luck to everyone!
:smile:
this is so motivating and congrats with the high scores :smile:
Good luck love x
The end-of-October update!

Things have been going well but earlier this month I somehow managed to lose a lot of my motivation to revise :frown:
Luckily, our school had some representatives from Elevate come to give talks on how to revise efficiently, which I actually found really useful!
Hopefully some of these tips can help you guys too:
- Revise from the specification so you know exactly what you need to revise
- Spend more time doing practice tests than making notes
- If you revise with music, having music on in the background becomes part of your optimum work setting. Since there’s obviously no music in the exam, you don’t want this to happen or you won’t be in your optimum work setting in the exam!
- make sure you don’t spend too much time on stuff you already know! Although it’s always very useful to make sure you actually know the things you think you know in lots of detail, if you skip even just one or two small subtopics you’ll probably find that there will be huge questions on them in the test!

My advice for getting your motivation back would be this:
- go onto Pinterest or Instagram and search for neat notes, beautiful notes, etc. This definitely inspires me to start making revision notes just so I can make something that pretty! And luckily I also soak in some facts along the way :smile:
- start off with something easy, such as doing some vocab practice on quizlet or with flash cards. The hardest part of anything is getting started, and once you’ve managed to complete a few rounds of quizlet you’ll find it easier to keep going since you’re already revising!
- talk to friends who you know are really on top of their revision; I find that knowing other people are doing lots of revision makes me motivated to do more too so I’m not behind!

I have mocks coming up in a couple of weeks, so I’m glad I’ve gotten a bit more motivated now rather than after them! To anyone else who also has mocks around this time, good luck!!! :smile:
Good luck with mocks!! :rave:
Hey, a fellow Year 11 I see! <3

Best of luck for mock week, your grades are already amazing oml.

Do you have a tag list? Can I be added please? x
Original post by nyxnko_
Good luck with mocks!! :rave:

Original post by RazzzBerries
Hey, a fellow Year 11 I see! <3

Best of luck for mock week, your grades are already amazing oml.

Do you have a tag list? Can I be added please? x

Thank you both!
RazzzBerries: I don’t know what a tag list is haha, but I’ll add you if you tell me how! 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending