The Student Room Group

PM about to resign?

Is Theresa May about to resign I wonder? She is about to make a special statement outside No 10 "updating on negotiations" - not something she's done before.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2018/sep/21/theresa-may-makes-statement-outside-no-10

Given that Chequers is now dead (the hamfisted attempt by her adviser to see off the ERG by adopting 'red lines' which everyone knows the EU will never accept - and now have made very clear they won't) and the only viable alternative to no-borders in Ireland is staying in the Single Market, eg, a Norway deal, which the ERG would also vote down - perhaps she has no choice but to go?

The only conceivable way forward now is for all pro-Single Market MPs in the House to come together to make it clear they will vote down the ERG and prevent them thwarting a Norway deal. However, it would appear that Corbyn places sectarian Labour interests above those of the country (and British working people) and in favour of chaos.

The inevitable result now will be a hard crash out, regardless.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Is Theresa May about to resign I wonder? She is about to make a special statement outside No 10 "updating on negotiations" - not something she's done before.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2018/sep/21/theresa-may-makes-statement-outside-no-10

Given that Chequers is now dead (the hamfisted attempt by her adviser to see off the ERG by adopting 'red lines' which everyone knows the EU will never accept - and now have made very clear they won't) and the only viable alternative to no-borders in Ireland is staying in the Single Market, eg, a Norway deal, which the ERG would also vote down - perhaps she has no choice but to go?

The only conceivable way forward now is for all pro-Single Market MPs in the House to come together to make it clear they will vote down the ERG and prevent them thwarting a Norway deal. However, it would appear that Corbyn places sectarian Labour interests above those of the country (and British working people) and in favour of chaos.

The inevitable result now will be a hard crash out, regardless.

Thanks for flagging that up, friend. I might have to put the news channel on in the background.
Original post by Reality Check
Thanks for flagging that up, friend. I might have to put the news channel on in the background.

It's almost as if Downing St is taking an interest in the outcome of the 'negotiations'. :lol:
From what I've read, her resignation is not about to happen.

Although the state of Brexit negotiations is an embarrassment. Brexit supporters have a lot to answer for.
Says she's just going to stick to her guns and try to keep on bleating 'Chequer's is the way forward'.

More Brexit nonsense. Obviously I'm hoping for her resignation or even a GE.
And a good joke by Donald. Who knew?
"ladies & gentlemen. i have to announce that the final episode of The Bodyguard will not be broadcast. this is for National Security reasons. that is all. thank you"
Original post by Sulfolobus
From what I've read, her resignation is not about to happen.

Although the state of Brexit negotiations is an embarrassment. Brexit supporters have a lot to answer for.

Perhaps she's trying to dump Chequers without making it look like a farcically nonsensical waste of the last few months.

I can't personally see how she can go on unless she once and for all faces down the bizarre and idiotic Rees-Mogg and his bunch of creepy supporters.
Perhaps she's trying to dump Chequers without making it look like a farcically nonsensical waste of the last few months.

I can't personally see how she can go on unless she once and for all faces down the bizarre and idiotic Rees-Mogg and his bunch of creepy supporters.

Her position has been untenable for sometime. Unfortunately there is no alternative waiting in the wings.
Original post by the bear
"ladies & gentlemen. i have to announce that the final episode of The Bodyguard will not be broadcast. this is for National Security reasons. that is all. thank you"

(chisel faced Glaswegian grimace) "Step away from the cameras M'aam"
Keeley Julia-May Hawes: "I'm so proud of our negotiating team"
(sounds of gunfire)
Grim-faced bodyguard impassive hunky dude: "M'aam! Get down!"
Hawes: "Oh dear. We really must continue to, er, promote the Chequers agreement".
Glaswegian hitman: Bang! Bang! Bang!
Original post by MrDystopia
Obviously I'm hoping for her resignation or even a GE.

I can't think of a worse outcome than that (possibly 'no deal':wink: Resignation - who's going to replace her? Boris, if he can stop thinking about himself for long enough? JRM? Dominic Raab... There's no-one.

A general election will just throw more chaos onto the existing chaos, though I don't believe that the good old British Public is stupid enough to vote for Entryist Labour. But then I did originally think they wouldn't be stupid enough to vote for Brexit... More to the point,we've had far too many elections already - people don't want to keep going to the polls to choose between the devil and the deep blue sea. They just want their executive to get their finger out their ârse and do something constructive.
(edited 5 years ago)
Technical problems causing delays - "no power at No 10". Says it all really.

Exactly. I think the ship has sailed for attempting to extricate herself from Chequers, and she's going to look increasingly silly with her fingers in her ears.
I hope she does - but I doubt it...
Original post by Reality Check
I can't think of a worse outcome than that (possibly 'no deal':wink: Resignation - who's going to replace her? Boris, if he can stop thinking about himself for long enough? JRM? Dominic Raab... There's no-one. A general election will just throw more chaos onto of chaos, though I don't believe that the good old British Public is stupid enough to vote for Entryist Labour. But then I did originally think they wouldn't be stupid enough to vote for Brexit...

There is a school of thought now that going to a general election again would go better this time due to the public being more aware of the reality of a Corbyn government. Not sure I buy it personally, for a number of reasons.
Coverage is about to start.
Original post by the bear

Please rate some other bear
Coverage is about to start.

I'm hoping for war with Belgium tbh
(edited 5 years ago)
I would be surprised. I dont see her quitting tbh but i expect her to point out the EU was hostile and to prepare for no deal.
The whole referendum and leaving has been such a massive mess.
EU attempting to humiliate the UK.
Both main parties are a mess.
She constantly looks and sounds like she is going to break down and start crying at any moment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending