The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What do you mean by "scrupulosity"?
What did you mean when you said you cry sometimes when you talk with your agnostic parent? Do you mean her past is saddening?

I'm a Christian too. Do you go to church? Do you read the bible? I find these things important to my life and to my understanding of God. Often we can have very cultural views of God, and I think it helps to go to the bible, because there you have a more realistic picture of God. For example, we can state that God loves us, but what does that actually mean? Well the bible describes it, eg. in Psalm 23. We can state that God is holy, but what does that actually mean? Well we see it in the bible, eg. Isaiah 6.
Thank you for your reflections, it was very nice to read, I liked it, really. (I can not stand any judgment, just got a huge amount of pleasure from reading!)
"I forget what’s important and a fear of hell overtakes loving God (which of course is bad and I don’t want that because God doesn’t want that). ... Someone else mentioned something similar in his testimony (as a young Child he went to Church and didn’t want to go to hell but at the same time didn’t really connect with God."

Trust me, you have more wisdom than most ministers and theologians. "Fear of God is the beginning of wisdom..." (Proverbs 9:10, https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs+9%3A10&version=KJV)

Fear of hell, is another matter. But it's not something you need to get too caught up about. He's promised to be with his people, always. Remember how Daniel and his friends stood in Nebuchadnezzar's oven and they did not burn! Nebuchadnezzar himself suddenly saw another man inside the fire with them! Someone "like the Son of God." (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Daniel+3&version=KJV)

Who do you think that was? :smile:

Who do you think was "walking" with Adam & Eve in the Garden of Eden?

What you need to focus on is LOVE. "To love God with all you heart, soul, mind, and strength; and love your neighbour as yourself."

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. We love him, because he first loved us. If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

The reason you fear is because you don't understand, and because you don't know love.

"That’s like God’s unconditional Love for us."

That's actually not true. Who taught you that? Remember Jacob and Esau? Esau was the older twin (who should have received the inheritance and God's blessing), but he didn't want it, he despised God and rejected God. Eventually he SOLD his birthright to Jacob. And God knew this all along...

Hence God said, "I have loved you, saith the Lord. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob's brother? saith the Lord: yet I loved Jacob, And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness." (Malachi 1:1-3) And today the evidence can be seen in Petra Jordan (where Indiana Jones was filmed) is EMPTY, no one lives there, yet it used to be great nation full of Esau's men...

Remember that God is a jealous God, who hates sin. He hates sin so much that he sent the Devil kicked him out of heaven and banished him to the earth. Jesus saw Lucifer fall from heaven like falling star. "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!" (Isaiah 14:12) And God hates Satan so much, that he'd send his son to destroy him, along with his army of fallen angels.

"And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen." (Romans 16:20)

You also don't need to worry about parents (not too much anyway). Again, this is about love. You need to prioritise your love for God first. Always. We are warned, "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:37)

"Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." (Isaiah 41:10)

"I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." (Matthew 28:20)

You're welcome to PM if you need anything. :smile:

Shalom, Brother.
lol chill out pls
Thank ye sister for sharing your testimony...was edifying to soul:smile:
Reply 6
I won't try to start a debate but those stories have nothing of a divine touch about them.
About these quotes: - "scrupulosity can make me go a bit over the top" - "I sometimes forget that walking with God/Jesus is a lifelong journey (perhaps due to scrupulosity)" - "Scrupulosity is a form of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). I also often get things out of perspective and then find it very difficult to get them into perspective despite reassurance from people." - "I find things difficult due to mental health (anxiety/OCD/Scrupulosity) which I have to battle with everyday." - "(Chilling out) is something I'm struggling to do. My brain won't really switch off atm (OCD/Scrupulosity). Any advise on how?"

Where did your first notion of 'mental illness', 'OCD', and 'Scrupulosity' come from?

I suggest re-evaluating your assumptions about 'mental illness' as there are academics and professionals who have dedicated their lives to mental illness / psychology / psychiatry and yet have found it to be false, highly unethical, immoral, and evil. Much of the industry is profit-driven with only very limited cases who are outliers who need help, and even then, the experts admit that they can 'only listen' and can't actually help at all.

1) See atheist psychologist, Thomas Szassz MD's book, THE MYTH OF MENTAL ILLNESS, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Myth-Mental-Illness-Foundations-Personal/dp/0061771228. He makes a solid case challenging that mental illness is basically due to the NEGLIGENCE of society, communities, and families to be RESPONSIBLE and LOVING towards their children and juniors. He has a chapter on Christianity but he goes out on limb without references there.

2) See Christian author KB Napier PhD, a former psychiatric nurse, who has numerous publications, booklets, blog posts, articles, etc, AGAINST MENTAL ILLNESS. This particular book is called 'Psycho-Meddling ('Christian' Counselling) http://www.christiandoctrine.com/bible-theology-ministries-books/k-b-napier-phd -- If you email him, he'll talk to you and send you some freebies. Otherwise, PM me and I'll send you some articles.

Both authors attack the history and validity of mental health institutions. The proof in more recent times is the Diagnostic Statistic Manual, which is the standard used for diagnosis: The DSM 1, DSM 2, DSM 3, DSM 4, and DSM 5, have all rapidly changed to become looser and broader with each revision. What you have described about 'anxiety' for example could place you into a dozen or more categories of "personality disorder", but the DSM1. That is, their standards are MADE UP!

In reality, an active mind can be a VERY GOOD THING :smile:, a particular commendable ability for an academic, a researcher, an analyst, or someone in a position of great responsibility who needs to always be on their A-game (24-7). For example a judge or a parliamentarian, or a general, or a MOTHER raising many children! Or maybe someone focused on solving the next SARS virus.

That is, when a person's foundation is not established on God's Word / Scripture / The Bible / Christ the Solid Rock they can expect things to go wrong, just as it did for the Greeks (who went mad) and the Romans (who imploded and self-destructed -- which maybe your current struggle).

Romans 1:28 writes, "And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;"

In regards to the supposed 'Christian' women in your life, may I remind you that our first female ancestor, Eve, was the first to sin. She was the first to forget God's law and made herself susceptible to the Devil's temptation. Then she passed the fruit to Adam who was gullible enough to take it.

In regards to OCD, or simply compulsive and impulsive behaviour, every woman I know has a streak of this. As mentioned above, this too can be a VERY GOOD ATTRIBUTE, when one is obedient to God's Word and is living unsinfully. For example, fastidiousness is a POSITIVE TRAIT, great for keeping the house clean, homework done, bills paid, assessments handed in, notes organised, and the children with lunches packed, bathed, and ready for school, etc. -- Sloppy guys (read all men) would love to have a fastidious woman in their life. See the Proverbs 31 woman, who is a prime example. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs+31%3A10-31&version=KJV

I hope that's of encouragement.

Shalom and God bless you :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Wtf dude, way too long.didnt bother to even glance.
Reply 9
Far too many think being a Christian is about accepting Christ as your saviour and job done! It's about learning from his teachings and trying to be a better, more understanding and tolerant person.
Original post by MerpDerpPotato
I'm not sure you understand me or me you. My mental health is genetic and certainly not just made up. I'm not just saying it because it's what I've been told by health professionals. It's just something I have to battle in this world, along with others in my family.
What do you mean about women??? I don't remember mentioning that?

It’s disappointing how some Christians can be ignorant about mental health and just dismisses it as nothing. There’s a reason why mental health Is such an important issue in this age
yep

Unfortunately, in my experience, most formalised Churches teach the former. They almost say it's ok to sin as long as you accept Jesus 'cause he'll forgive you and you'll still go to Heaven. I don't think it's supposed to be about buying a ticket to Paradise.
hm. The thing with the "full indulgence" in the crusades was/is ridiculous. I think it's that we all mess up and whilst we should try and stop sinning we should make our whole lives a misery over it? (I probably need to work on doing this a bit). I think part of believing in Jesus is changing because of what he's done for us.

Might I ask whether you are Christian. I'm a bit confused as your picture seems to be of a hindu god?

My father was Hindu... my mother, Christian. I see no conflict in be helpful and tolerant regardless. I do voluntary work for the Christians in a deprived area.
Original post by Vinny C
My father was Hindu... my mother, Christian. I see no conflict in be helpful and tolerant regardless...

Past or present tense? Was = past continuous tense.

The God of the Bible is a jealous God, who commands exclusivity, and Krishna is a deity. While you see no conflict but God does. Tolerance at the state level / public level is different at the private / personal level. That is, Christ commands that his followers keep his commandments, out of love for him, or face being disowned by him. 'If you love me, keep my commandments'.

'Thou shalt have no other Gods before me...'
- https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus+20%3A3-5&version=KJV
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou_shalt_have_no_other_gods_before_me
Reply 14
I think rather than simply dismissing the entire field of psychiatry, it might help to be specific about what psychiatrists get wrong.
Reply 15
Original post by Vinny C
Far too many think being a Christian is about accepting Christ as your saviour and job done! It's about learning from his teachings and trying to be a better, more understanding and tolerant person.

I think being a Christian is about a lot of things.

I think what you're describing is something called "anti-nomianism", where you can just give a nod to Jesus, and then live a life dismissing things like holiness, repentance, sorrow for sin, love for God, bearing fruit of the spirit, communion with the saints etc. That is a dangerous belief. I think of Romans 8:13 "For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live."

However, the other extreme is to not recognise substitutionary atonement, and believe that people are in right relationship with Christ because of a contribution of Christ's righteousness and their own (autonomous) righteousness, and/or other parties, such as the prayers of "the saints", intercession from Mary, indulgences, and many many other things people have inserted into the gospel of grace.

This is why the issue of election is so important. When we see that faith is not something people use their free will to opt into, but something God grants to the elect according to his own will, then it all makes sense. True believers bear fruit of the spirit, living holy lives, not so that they maintain their salvation, but because of the nature of the faith they have. Their hearts have been changed and are being changed by the Spirit, and only God gets the glory for that. Read Romans 8:

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us."
ok. the voluntary work sounds good

Hinduism is good too... even the Christian side of me is Unitarian. Jesus was a wise teacher and never once claims to be God himself. That bit got added later at the Council of Nicea, 325AD.
[QUOTE="adelphos;80582302"]Past or present tense? Was = past continuous tense.

The God of the Bible is a jealous God, who commands exclusivity, and Krishna is a deity. While you see no conflict but God does. Tolerance at the state level / public level is different at the private / personal level. That is, Christ commands that his followers keep his commandments, out of love for him, or face being disowned by him. 'If you love me, keep my commandments'.

'Thou shalt have no other Gods before me...'
- https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus+20%3A3-5&version=KJV
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou_shalt_have_no_other_gods_before_me[/QUOTE]

My father is deceased... hence the past tense.
Original post by Vinny C
... Jesus was a wise teacher and never once claims to be God himself. ...

Utterly false, blasphemy. -- Jesus = God Almighty

"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty." (Revelation 1:8)

See, Rev 1:8,Isa 44:6,Rev 22:13,Rev 21:6,Isa 43:10,Isa 48:12,Isa 41:4,Rev 4:8,Rev 1:17,Rev 1:4,Rev 11:17,Rev 2:8,2 Cor 6:18,Isa 9:6,Rev 16:14,Gen 49:25,Rev 21:22,Rev 19:15,Ex 6:3,Rev 1:11,Gen 43:14,Gen 35:11,Gen 28:3,Gen 17:1,Num 24:4,Gen 48:3, http://www.openbible.info/labs/cross-references/search?q=rev+1%3A8

Original post by Vinny C
My father is deceased... hence the past tense.

Hindusim = Indian-ism = The Indian religion. That is one who culturally, ethnically, and religiously follows the Indian / Hindu ways (poly-theistic vs mono-theistic / Trinitarian).

Belief in God is not like this. Salvation is not guaranteed by birth or inheritance (as per @Pride identified regarding God's election), although it can be, it necessitates belief / faith / conversion / repentance / adherence / love. E.g. Esau was the first born son, but God "hated" him and "destroyed" him (Malachi 1:1-5). Again, anything that eclipses God's majesty is idolatry, whether that be physical idol like Krishna or an or an abstract idol, like an image, or thought. As per the 1st commandment, God explicitly commands that, 'Thou shalt have no other Gods' and that he is a 'jealous God', meaning that you are the property of the creator who made you, and mis-belief would be mis-treatment of what belongs to him.

In the case of your Krishna picture, it is like putting the picture of another woman in place of your wife's and saying "She is good too". Surely your wife would be jealous, but she is not God, who is a "consuming fire, even a jealous God."

Deuteronomy 4:24-27, "For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God. When thou shalt beget children, and children's children, and ye shall have remained long in the land, and shall corrupt yourselves, and make a graven image, or the likeness of any thing, and shall do evil in the sight of the LORD thy God, to provoke him to anger: I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that ye shall soon utterly perish from off the land whereunto ye go over Jordan to possess it; ye shall not prolong your days upon it, but shall utterly be destroyed. And the LORD shall scatter you among the nations, and ye shall be left few in number among the heathen, whither the LORD shall lead you."

The Lord said, "He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him." (John 14:21)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by adelphos
Utterly false, blasphemy. -- Jesus = God Almighty

"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty." (Revelation 1:8)

See, Rev 1:8,Isa 44:6,Rev 22:13,Rev 21:6,Isa 43:10,Isa 48:12,Isa 41:4,Rev 4:8,Rev 1:17,Rev 1:4,Rev 11:17,Rev 2:8,2 Cor 6:18,Isa 9:6,Rev 16:14,Gen 49:25,Rev 21:22,Rev 19:15,Ex 6:3,Rev 1:11,Gen 43:14,Gen 35:11,Gen 28:3,Gen 17:1,Num 24:4,Gen 48:3, http://www.openbible.info/labs/cross-references/search?q=rev+1%3A8

Hindusim = Indian-ism = The Indian religion. That is one who culturally, ethnically, and religiously follows the Indian / Hindu ways (poly-theistic vs mono-theistic / Trinitarian).

Belief in God is not like this. Salvation is not guaranteed by birth or inheritance (as per @Pride identified regarding God's election), although it can be, it necessitates belief / faith / conversion / repentance / adherence / love. E.g. Esau was the first born son, but God "hated" him and "destroyed" him (Malachi 1:1-5). Again, anything that eclipses God's majesty is idolatry, whether that be physical idol like Krishna or an or an abstract idol, like an image, or thought. As per the 1st commandment, God explicitly commands that, 'Thou shalt have no other Gods' and that he is a 'jealous God', meaning that you are the property of the creator who made you, and mis-belief would be mis-treatment of what belongs to him.

In the case of your Krishna picture, it is like putting the picture of another woman in place of your wife's and saying "She is good too". Surely your wife would be jealous, but she is not God, who is a "consuming fire, even a jealous God."

Deuteronomy 4:24-27, "For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God. When thou shalt beget children, and children's children, and ye shall have remained long in the land, and shall corrupt yourselves, and make a graven image, or the likeness of any thing, and shall do evil in the sight of the LORD thy God, to provoke him to anger: I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that ye shall soon utterly perish from off the land whereunto ye go over Jordan to possess it; ye shall not prolong your days upon it, but shall utterly be destroyed. And the LORD shall scatter you among the nations, and ye shall be left few in number among the heathen, whither the LORD shall lead you."

The Lord said, "He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him." (John 14:21)

In all your quotes, the LIVING Jesus never once claims to be God himself and his word is good enough for me.

Latest

Trending

Trending