Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know I do post a lot on this (sorry if I’m being too pushy, scrupulosity can make me go a bit over the top sometimes) but I think this would be an interesting thing to post (I don’t expect you to necessarily agree and that’s up to you). Also sorry if this is a bit hard to read with the () and stuff. This is a bit hard to write in an organised way.

I’ve been bought up as a Christian and I have been both Baptised and Confirmed (a bit like being Baptised but you can say for yourself that you believe in Jesus (although you can be Baptised at any age)) which I’m thankful for but I think that perhaps I sometimes forget that walking with God/Jesus is a lifelong journey (perhaps due to scrupulosity). It isn’t always easy but God’s there to help me through and there has been so many times when he has helped me.

When I was in primary school, probably in a history lesson about one of the world wars, we made “gas masks” out of paper and a polystyrene cup with holes made in the end. With the logic I had as a child I decided to inhale (with the mask on) while there was a piece of polystyrene in the end of the cup still. Whilst the logical thing to do would be to tell a teacher (perhaps I was unsure as to whether the polystyrene had gone into my lungs or I was just being shy or something??) I didn’t and just got hotter as I panicked through tidy up time. I think I asked God for help and the I ended up finding the piece of polystyrene in my mouth so I could get rid of it.

Another time more recently, I was on the bus home and there was a small winged bug on the bus. I tried to let it out the window but this didn’t really work (and I didn’t want to upset the person in front who was below the window by accidentally dropping it) so I decided to keep it in my lunch box until I got off so I could let it go then. I think I knew this was a bad idea but I did it anyway. I had had halloumi (cheese) in my lunch which made the sides of the tub oily and this made the bug’s wings and legs stick together horribly. I tried to help it but, of course, I was little use and I didn’t want to make things worse. In the end I tried to carefully cover it with my coat and then asked God to help it. After a little while I lifted up my coat and the bug was gone. I did look for it but I didn’t see it. I don’t know what happened but I like to think it was ok.

I know the stories may sound like coincidences or perhaps things weren’t as I thought they were but, I think there is more to the world than we know and I think God does act to help people (although sometimes we need to wait a little while and that’s okay ). There are other times I could mention but perhaps I should just stick with these few.

I think a majority (at least) of Christians doubt sometimes. Faith is hard and I have found it difficult to follow God at times and understand how he loves me. I think I’m quite blessed with the things I have in life so I’m thankful that there were Christian lunchtime groups in both my sixth-form/college and high school. I think that sometimes God answers our prayers through people and there are few times where he has done that for me. I had been struggling a bit with understanding how God loved me and then the subject of how God Loves us came up in one of the meetings. I found this helpful and I think one of the people there mentioned something on either “Memes for Jesus” or “Deuteronomemes” (I think?). In Mario cart there is a little tortoise-like character on a cloud with a fishing hook who picks up a player every time they fall off the track and places them back on it. That’s like God’s unconditional Love for us.

It doesn’t matter how many times we mess up. He still loves us.

I think that’s pretty incredible

(let’s face it we’ve all messed up at some points, even the best of us).

Being a Christian is hard sometimes as I’ve grown up with one parent being an agnostic (unsure about God). I think I’ve asked them a few times why they’re like that and it’s hard for me not to cry when they tell me (unfortunately perhaps, I don’t seem to remember their answer but I think it’s sad anyway, particularly if it’s related to an idea of not being able to change from how they’ve grown up and lived so far (change is always possible)). I understand that it’s their choice and I accept that although I find it sad. I think they see God more as a force of nature than as “an old person on a cloud” (I have to admit this is how God is often represented and I do think that way too sometimes but really I’m not sure what God looks like and I think it maybe much more diverse than that. It kind of makes me think of something I saw in a Church service: a picture on the Berlin wall that says “How’s God? She’s black” which I think makes sense as we are all made in his image although this is a bit hard to understand and I’m not sure it really matters what God looks like physically). I kind of understand though as looking at some things in nature (mountains in wales for example) it’s hard not to believe that there is not some higher power due to how incredible nature is.

I don’t understand everything and unfortunately that can make me doubt but I continue to try and move on with his help. I think working on building a relationship with God is a constant thing and unfortunately I think recently I have got a bit too caught up in some things and details that I forget what’s important and a fear of hell overtakes loving God (which of course is bad and I don’t want that because God doesn’t want that). I think somebody in the Christian collective I was in mentioned something similar in his testimony (as a young Child he went to Church and didn’t want to go to hell but at the same time didn’t really connect with God. Later he did though so if you are on that position perhaps pray on it (if it helps pray like you are talking to a friend about a problem, personally I think I connect better this way)).

I think things are getting better for me (I’ve had battles with mental health since I started high school (age 11?)) and I’m glad of that. I’m going to try and trust in God more. He’s the only thing that never changes.
    #Christianity#testimony

If you have any questions please ask (tag me so I can see it please). I want this to be a thread for good discussion and sharing of faith (please no hate or arguments (debates are ok as long as they don't go wrong/nasty)).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBuv...E2ArC5Ei&t=28s

Also an interesting video I found. Just thought I would share.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you have any questions please ask (tag me so I can see it please). I want this to be a thread for good discussion and sharing of faith (please no hate or arguments (debates are ok as long as they don't go wrong/nasty)).

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by "scrupulosity"?
    What did you mean when you said you cry sometimes when you talk with your agnostic parent? Do you mean her past is saddening?

I'm a Christian too. Do you go to church? Do you read the bible? I find these things important to my life and to my understanding of God. Often we can have very cultural views of God, and I think it helps to go to the bible, because there you have a more realistic picture of God. For example, we can state that God loves us, but what does that actually mean? Well the bible describes it, eg. in Psalm 23. We can state that God is holy, but what does that actually mean? Well we see it in the bible, eg. Isaiah 6.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    What do you mean by "scrupulosity"?
    What did you mean when you said you cry sometimes when you talk with your agnostic parent? Do you mean her past is saddening?

I'm a Christian too. Do you go to church? Do you read the bible? I find these things important to my life and to my understanding of God. Often we can have very cultural views of God, and I think it helps to go to the bible, because there you have a more realistic picture of God. For example, we can state that God loves us, but what does that actually mean? Well the bible describes it, eg. in Psalm 23. We can state that God is holy, but what does that actually mean? Well we see it in the bible, eg. Isaiah 6.
    Scrupulosity is a form of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). I also often get things out of perspective and then find it very difficult to get them into perspective despite reassurance from people.

I meant that when I asked them why they are agnostic I found it hard not to cry. I don't remember their answer but I think I was probably upset because of them not believing despite the fact that they think God maybe real in someway.
    I try to go to Church each week and I try to read my Bible regularly, although I find this difficult. I can see what you mean but I struggle to keep things in perspective and sometimes misinterpret a point in the Bible (so I get scared to read it perhaps (I know this is silly but I'm going to try and work on it)). I think I agree with your point. I think that maybe I could learn about God from other places too though.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reflections, it was very nice to read, I liked it, really. (I can not stand any judgment, just got a huge amount of pleasure from reading!)

ReputationRep:
    "I forget what’s important and a fear of hell overtakes loving God (which of course is bad and I don’t want that because God doesn’t want that). ... Someone else mentioned something similar in his testimony (as a young Child he went to Church and didn’t want to go to hell but at the same time didn’t really connect with God."

Trust me, you have more wisdom than most ministers and theologians. "Fear of God is the beginning of wisdom..." (Proverbs 9:10, https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...10&version=KJV)

Fear of hell, is another matter. But it's not something you need to get too caught up about. He's promised to be with his people, always. Remember how Daniel and his friends stood in Nebuchadnezzar's oven and they did not burn! Nebuchadnezzar himself suddenly saw another man inside the fire with them! Someone "like the Son of God." (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...+3&version=KJV)

Who do you think that was?

Who do you think was "walking" with Adam & Eve in the Garden of Eden?

What you need to focus on is LOVE. "To love God with all you heart, soul, mind, and strength; and love your neighbour as yourself."

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. We love him, because he first loved us. If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

The reason you fear is because you don't understand, and because you don't know love.

"That’s like God’s unconditional Love for us."

That's actually not true. Who taught you that? Remember Jacob and Esau? Esau was the older twin (who should have received the inheritance and God's blessing), but he didn't want it, he despised God and rejected God. Eventually he SOLD his birthright to Jacob. And God knew this all along...

Hence God said, "I have loved you, saith the Lord. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob's brother? saith the Lord: yet I loved Jacob, And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness." (Malachi 1:1-3) And today the evidence can be seen in Petra Jordan (where Indiana Jones was filmed) is EMPTY, no one lives there, yet it used to be great nation full of Esau's men...

Remember that God is a jealous God, who hates sin. He hates sin so much that he sent the Devil kicked him out of heaven and banished him to the earth. Jesus saw Lucifer fall from heaven like falling star. "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!" (Isaiah 14:12) And God hates Satan so much, that he'd send his son to destroy him, along with his army of fallen angels.

"And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen." (Romans 16:20)

You also don't need to worry about parents (not too much anyway). Again, this is about love. You need to prioritise your love for God first. Always. We are warned, "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:37)

"Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." (Isaiah 41:10)

"I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." (Matthew 28:20)

You're welcome to PM if you need anything.

Shalom, Brother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adelphos)
    "I forget what’s important and a fear of hell overtakes loving God (which of course is bad and I don’t want that because God doesn’t want that). ... Someone else mentioned something similar in his testimony (as a young Child he went to Church and didn’t want to go to hell but at the same time didn’t really connect with God."

Trust me, you have more wisdom than most ministers and theologians. "Fear of God is the beginning of wisdom..." (Proverbs 9:10, https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...10&version=KJV)

Fear of hell, is another matter. But it's not something you need to get too caught up about. He's promised to be with his people, always. Remember how Daniel and his friends stood in Nebuchadnezzar's oven and they did not burn! Nebuchadnezzar himself suddenly saw another man inside the fire with them! Someone "like the Son of God." (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...+3&version=KJV)

Who do you think that was?

Who do you think was "walking" with Adam & Eve in the Garden of Eden?

What you need to focus on is LOVE. "To love God with all you heart, soul, mind, and strength; and love your neighbour as yourself."

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. We love him, because he first loved us. If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

The reason you fear is because you don't understand, and because you don't know love.

"That’s like God’s unconditional Love for us."

That's actually not true. Who taught you that? Remember Jacob and Esau? Esau was the older twin (who should have received the inheritance and God's blessing), but he didn't want it, he despised God and rejected God. Eventually he SOLD his birthright to Jacob. And God knew this all along...

Hence God said, "I have loved you, saith the Lord. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob's brother? saith the Lord: yet I loved Jacob, And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness." (Malachi 1:1-3) And today the evidence can be seen in Petra Jordan (where Indiana Jones was filmed) is EMPTY, no one lives there, yet it used to be great nation full of Esau's men...

Remember that God is a jealous God, who hates sin. He hates sin so much that he sent the Devil kicked him out of heaven and banished him to the earth. Jesus saw Lucifer fall from heaven like falling star. "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!" (Isaiah 14:12) And God hates Satan so much, that he'd send his son to destroy him, along with his army of fallen angels.

"And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen." (Romans 16:20)

You also don't need to worry about parents (not too much anyway). Again, this is about love. You need to prioritise your love for God first. Always. We are warned, "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:37)

"Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." (Isaiah 41:10)

"I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." (Matthew 28:20)

You're welcome to PM if you need anything.

Shalom, Brother.
    Thx (I'm a girl btw). There's a Christian group at my college that explained the point about God's unconditional love for us. I think it's true as we're human and we do mess up so we need help to stay on track. As long as we try to put sin behind us and go back to God aren't we still loved? (prodigal son??? (not sure that's the right word)). Doesn't God also reach out to those who don't know him. I'm trying to be better but I'm not very good at it. I find things difficult due to mental health (anxiety/OCD/Scrupulosity) which I have to battle with everyday. I'm not very good at remembering to trust that things will be ok but I do ask for help when I'm in a tough situation. To be honest I think the group I go to has helped me a lot actually and has been a way through which some of my prayers and questions have been answered.

Peace to you as well

ReputationRep:
    The Chaplain (I think) made an interesting point at the Christian group I went to the other day. I think we were doing a Bible study on a section from Peter (first bit).
    Just because we are Christians it doesn't mean we don't find life hard at times. I think I'm going through a time like that now tbh. I was confused and I think a question I had given to God was answered. The Chaplain made a point about a hard time she went through and how joy is different to being happy. We'd had a session previously about what contentment was and how we should try to be and can be the happiest we can be in the situation we are in. I think she said something about that she was confused as to why she wasn't feeling worse at the time but it was due to the joy Christ gives us. We aren't always happy but we can still find and continue to have a hope and peace with God. I hope I worded that correctly.

Just thought I'd share Peace.

ReputationRep:
    lol chill out pls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oiloiloiloil)
    lol chill out pls
    this is something I'm struggling to do. My brain won't really switch off atm (OCD/Scrupulosity). Any advise on how?

ReputationRep:
    Thank ye sister for sharing your testimony...was edifying to soul

ReputationRep:
    I won't try to start a debate but those stories have nothing of a divine touch about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bio 7)
    I won't try to start a debate but those stories have nothing of a divine touch about them.
    You're entitled to your own opinion.

ReputationRep:
    About these quotes: - "scrupulosity can make me go a bit over the top" - "I sometimes forget that walking with God/Jesus is a lifelong journey (perhaps due to scrupulosity)" - "Scrupulosity is a form of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). I also often get things out of perspective and then find it very difficult to get them into perspective despite reassurance from people." - "I find things difficult due to mental health (anxiety/OCD/Scrupulosity) which I have to battle with everyday." - "(Chilling out) is something I'm struggling to do. My brain won't really switch off atm (OCD/Scrupulosity). Any advise on how?"

Where did your first notion of 'mental illness', 'OCD', and 'Scrupulosity' come from?

I suggest re-evaluating your assumptions about 'mental illness' as there are academics and professionals who have dedicated their lives to mental illness / psychology / psychiatry and yet have found it to be false, highly unethical, immoral, and evil. Much of the industry is profit-driven with only very limited cases who are outliers who need help, and even then, the experts admit that they can 'only listen' and can't actually help at all.

1) See atheist psychologist, Thomas Szassz MD's book, THE MYTH OF MENTAL ILLNESS, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Myth-Mental.../dp/0061771228. He makes a solid case challenging that mental illness is basically due to the NEGLIGENCE of society, communities, and families to be RESPONSIBLE and LOVING towards their children and juniors. He has a chapter on Christianity but he goes out on limb without references there.

2) See Christian author KB Napier PhD, a former psychiatric nurse, who has numerous publications, booklets, blog posts, articles, etc, AGAINST MENTAL ILLNESS. This particular book is called 'Psycho-Meddling ('Christian' Counselling) http://www.christiandoctrine.com/bib...k-b-napier-phd -- If you email him, he'll talk to you and send you some freebies. Otherwise, PM me and I'll send you some articles.

Both authors attack the history and validity of mental health institutions. The proof in more recent times is the Diagnostic Statistic Manual, which is the standard used for diagnosis: The DSM 1, DSM 2, DSM 3, DSM 4, and DSM 5, have all rapidly changed to become looser and broader with each revision. What you have described about 'anxiety' for example could place you into a dozen or more categories of "personality disorder", but the DSM1. That is, their standards are MADE UP!

In reality, an active mind can be a VERY GOOD THING , a particular commendable ability for an academic, a researcher, an analyst, or someone in a position of great responsibility who needs to always be on their A-game (24-7). For example a judge or a parliamentarian, or a general, or a MOTHER raising many children! Or maybe someone focused on solving the next SARS virus.

That is, when a person's foundation is not established on God's Word / Scripture / The Bible / Christ the Solid Rock they can expect things to go wrong, just as it did for the Greeks (who went mad) and the Romans (who imploded and self-destructed -- which maybe your current struggle).

Romans 1:28 writes, "And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;"

In regards to the supposed 'Christian' women in your life, may I remind you that our first female ancestor, Eve, was the first to sin. She was the first to forget God's law and made herself susceptible to the Devil's temptation. Then she passed the fruit to Adam who was gullible enough to take it.

In regards to OCD, or simply compulsive and impulsive behaviour, every woman I know has a streak of this. As mentioned above, this too can be a VERY GOOD ATTRIBUTE, when one is obedient to God's Word and is living unsinfully. For example, fastidiousness is a POSITIVE TRAIT, great for keeping the house clean, homework done, bills paid, assessments handed in, notes organised, and the children with lunches packed, bathed, and ready for school, etc. -- Sloppy guys (read all men) would love to have a fastidious woman in their life. See the Proverbs 31 woman, who is a prime example. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...31&version=KJV

I hope that's of encouragement.

Shalom and God bless you

ReputationRep:
    Wtf dude, way too long.didnt bother to even glance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adelphos)
    About these quotes: - "scrupulosity can make me go a bit over the top" - "I sometimes forget that walking with God/Jesus is a lifelong journey (perhaps due to scrupulosity)" - "Scrupulosity is a form of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). I also often get things out of perspective and then find it very difficult to get them into perspective despite reassurance from people." - "I find things difficult due to mental health (anxiety/OCD/Scrupulosity) which I have to battle with everyday." - "(Chilling out) is something I'm struggling to do. My brain won't really switch off atm (OCD/Scrupulosity). Any advise on how?"

Where did your first notion of 'mental illness', 'OCD', and 'Scrupulosity' come from?

I suggest re-evaluating your assumptions about 'mental illness' as there are academics and professionals who have dedicated their lives to mental illness / psychology / psychiatry and yet have found it to be false, highly unethical, immoral, and evil. Much of the industry is profit-driven with only very limited cases who are outliers who need help, and even then, the experts admit that they can 'only listen' and can't actually help at all.

1) See atheist psychologist, Thomas Szassz MD's book, THE MYTH OF MENTAL ILLNESS, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Myth-Mental.../dp/0061771228. He makes a solid case challenging that mental illness is basically due to the NEGLIGENCE of society, communities, and families to be RESPONSIBLE and LOVING towards their children and juniors. He has a chapter on Christianity but he goes out on limb without references there.

2) See Christian author KB Napier PhD, a former psychiatric nurse, who has numerous publications, booklets, blog posts, articles, etc, AGAINST MENTAL ILLNESS. This particular book is called 'Psycho-Meddling ('Christian' Counselling) http://www.christiandoctrine.com/bib...k-b-napier-phd -- If you email him, he'll talk to you and send you some freebies. Otherwise, PM me and I'll send you some articles.

Both authors attack the history and validity of mental health institutions. The proof in more recent times is the Diagnostic Statistic Manual, which is the standard used for diagnosis: The DSM 1, DSM 2, DSM 3, DSM 4, and DSM 5, have all rapidly changed to become looser and broader with each revision. What you have described about 'anxiety' for example could place you into a dozen or more categories of "personality disorder", but the DSM1. That is, their standards are MADE UP!

In reality, an active mind can be a VERY GOOD THING , a particular commendable ability for an academic, a researcher, an analyst, or someone in a position of great responsibility who needs to always be on their A-game (24-7). For example a judge or a parliamentarian, or a general, or a MOTHER raising many children! Or maybe someone focused on solving the next SARS virus.

That is, when a person's foundation is not established on God's Word / Scripture / The Bible / Christ the Solid Rock they can expect things to go wrong, just as it did for the Greeks (who went mad) and the Romans (who imploded and self-destructed -- which maybe your current struggle).

Romans 1:28 writes, "And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;"

In regards to the supposed 'Christian' women in your life, may I remind you that our first female ancestor, Eve, was the first to sin. She was the first to forget God's law and made herself susceptible to the Devil's temptation. Then she passed the fruit to Adam who was gullible enough to take it.

In regards to OCD, or simply compulsive and impulsive behaviour, every woman I know has a streak of this. As mentioned above, this too can be a VERY GOOD ATTRIBUTE, when one is obedient to God's Word and is living unsinfully. For example, fastidiousness is a POSITIVE TRAIT, great for keeping the house clean, homework done, bills paid, assessments handed in, notes organised, and the children with lunches packed, bathed, and ready for school, etc. -- Sloppy guys (read all men) would love to have a fastidious woman in their life. See the Proverbs 31 woman, who is a prime example. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...31&version=KJV

I hope that's of encouragement.

Shalom and God bless you
    I'm not sure you understand me or me you. My mental health is genetic and certainly not just made up. I'm not just saying it because it's what I've been told by health professionals. It's just something I have to battle in this world, along with others in my family.
    What do you mean about women??? I don't remember mentioning that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bio 7)
    Perhaps I didn't give very good examples. I think God is view able in nature though and that science works with religion though. (Sorry if I start a debate. I just wanted to mention )

ReputationRep:
    Far too many think being a Christian is about accepting Christ as your saviour and job done! It's about learning from his teachings and trying to be a better, more understanding and tolerant person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vinny C)
    Far too many think being a Christian is about accepting Christ as your saviour and job done! It's about learning from his teachings and trying to be a better, more understanding and tolerant person.
    yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MerpDerpPotato)
    I'm not sure you understand me or me you. My mental health is genetic and certainly not just made up. I'm not just saying it because it's what I've been told by health professionals. It's just something I have to battle in this world, along with others in my family.
    What do you mean about women??? I don't remember mentioning that?
    It’s disappointing how some Christians can be ignorant about mental health and just dismisses it as nothing. There’s a reason why mental health Is such an important issue in this age

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2018
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.