The Student Room Group

Should Children Be Banned From Pubs?

Caught this on TV yesterday morning when I was doing endless amounts of paperwork:

[video="youtube;YPguWnX6xJM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPguWnX6xJM[/video]

It apparently sparked a big debate on Twitter. I'm firmly in the "they shouldn't be allowed" camp - it's a place for adults to go and enjoy being adults without any kids larking around. I suppose on Sundays up to a certain time, say 4pm, should be allowed so families can go in for a Sunday lunch, but other than that I do believe pubs should be a child-free zone for the reasons Andy stated.

Scroll to see replies

Who goes for lunch in a pub?
Yes they should be banned
Reply 3
Pubs are dying out anyway.
Original post by Rainfall

You are completely out of touch.
This is England.
@It's****ingWOODY you werent doing paperwork, you slacker lol jk
I worked at an inn for six years (albeit mostly in the kitchen, but regularly helping out with housekeeping and sometimes waiting tables) and used to mull this over sometimes.

Personally, I think it depends on the type of pub. Nowadays, many pubs have kind of morphed into restaurants with bars, because the profit margins on drink are too insignificant for a business to survive on (unless obviously your pub happens to be somewhere with a high footfall and the area happens to be sufficiently affluent that people have a reasonable amount of 'disposable income' - i.e. in a city centre, close to prosperous large employers).

I think that children probably should not be allowed in pubs which are still purely 'watering holes' or 'drinking dens'. However, it seems a bit mean to ban them from a local pub where you might sometimes go for a family lunch. Also perhaps in the latter type of pub, they should be allowed at lunchtime but not in the evening, when you'll have the 'gimme a drink to help me forget about my *****y day' crowd in.
No way of course not. For some its a nice family day out to the pub for them. Pubs are for social gatherings etc. Pubs are public houses and therefore anyone should enter and it generates extra income for them. Especially nowadays as less and less people are going to pubs. The only issue is underage drinking, but to answer your specific question then no they shouldnt
IF there is a separate area for families and they’re eating, maybe
But if it’s just a pub and they’re running riot whilst Kevin and Sharon drink themselves witless then no
Parents of small children shouldn’t be drinking whilst they are supervising them anyway

um... many people
What your not getting is that pubs have to make money in the day aswell there big ass buildings and pubs nowadays are kitchens with a bar
Original post by Notoriety
You are completely out of touch.

Haha really
Reply 13
Not if the boozer does food.
Haha really

Yes, sir. Guess your family doesn't eat out at restaurants that much. All the nicest ones around our place are gastro-pubs. If you wanna buy a 20 quid steak, head to the local which overlooks the quay. Magnificent. But they only have Diet Pepsi, and think I won't notice.
Original post by Notoriety
Yes, sir. Guess your family doesn't eat out at restaurants that much. All the nicest ones around our place are gastro-pubs. If you wanna buy a 20 quid steak, head to the local which overlooks the quay. Magnificent. But they only have Diet Pepsi, and think I won't notice.

No we don't. Ah okay. Maybe they're better pubs than the ones I've seen. More posh pubs
Reply 16
Original post by gjd800
Not if the boozer does food.

At which point it ceases being a proper boozer anyway, IMO.
How did Britain managed all these decades - centuries - without this ban? what were the catastrophic consequences of allowing kids into pubs?
Reply 18
There are lots of pubs that serve food and have play areas out the back. Banning kids would basically destroy these businesses, they rely on families going there for lunch or dinner.

Granted there are lots of pubs that are completely unsuitable for kids, but I'd trust those businesses to ban kids and parents not to take their kids there.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
@It's****ingWOODY you werent doing paperwork, you slacker lol jk

If only mate, been madshit this week and I've been hacking through it all groggy with a cold and that, feelsbadman :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending