The Student Room Group

How do I get over my driving nerves?

I have been learning to drive since May this year, and I think I probably would have passed by now if it wasn't for my anxiety. I suffer from anxiety, but learning to drive has added extra anxiety on top of it.

Generally, I'm a decent driver. When I'm calm. But whenever I do a mock driving test with my instructor, I go to pieces. I make so many mistakes that it wouldn't be wise to book my test just yet. I just want to do well and be able to book my test and hopefully pass my test. Driving would make my life so much easier.

I just want to do well, and I think that's putting pressure on me which is making my anxiety worse. Does anyone have any advice on how to calm down?

Friends have suggested Rescue Remedy (It doesn't work on me), Kalms (Both the normal and Lavender version), and other herbal remedies (I'm relucant to try another herbal remedy as they don't seem to work on me).

Has anyone else had this problem or is it just me? Any advice would be most welcomed.
I'm the same as you, I'm a very nervous driver.

Unfortunately I don't really know what to suggest. It sounds like you're just scared of the test more than driving? Perhaps just go for it, do your best and if you pass amazing but if you don't then it's no big deal, you know what to expect the next time.

I passed my test back in July and I never asked for a mock test because I knew that would frighten me, in the end I just went for it. Trust me I was a nervous wreck, like most people are in their test.

Also, like you I tried Rescue and Kalms and they never worked for me at all, but I have heard that CBD oil that you can pick up in Holland & Barrett can help calm nerves. Perhaps go and speak to someone in the store? :smile:

I wish you the best of luck in your driving, and I hope you pass soon.
Reply 2
Original post by techgeekgirl
Friends have suggested Rescue Remedy (It doesn't work on me), Kalms (Both the normal and Lavender version), and other herbal remedies (I'm relucant to try another herbal remedy as they don't seem to work on me).

This is the wrong approach. After you've passed your test and are out driving on your own, are you going to stop everything to take some pills whenever you get into a sticky situation? You need to be able to deal with your anxieties as they come up. A driving test is a stressful experience I know, but you're being made responsible for a couple tons of fast-moving metal. You need the skills to handle problems calmly.

Practice confidence. You say you're a decent driver, so believe in yourself. When your examiner asks you to do a parallel park, all you need to do is ask yourself "can I do this?", to which the answer should be "yes", and from that you realise that you have the skills already, and there's nothing you need to concern yourself about in that moment apart from applying said skills. Any other question or doubt you may have can be answered with "it doesn't matter right now", your focus as a driver is on your driving, not on what others think you're doing.
Reply 3
The last advice is spot on! Believe in yourself , imagine yourself doing the Test - confidently and calmly. I can do this. I am doing this!” Practice this while in the car with your Instructor - say it out loud! He/she won’t mind in the least. And take your time. Don’t panic. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! x
Thanks for the advice. I don't want to take anything like Rescue Remedy because I know it doesn't help.

I've had another mock test today, and I kept saying to myself in the run up to it that I can do this. And the mock test started off okay, I had one or two minor mistakes, but then after we had started the independent driving bit (following the sat nav), I messed up. It was just one minor little thing to begin with. But then it rolled into another one, and then another one. When I'm not in the test situation I can drive fine. I know I can drive, and I told myself this in my head whilst I was on my mock test, but I still kept making mistakes. It's so disheartening as I want to be able to book my test and then take my test and pass. I know I can drive. But I just make a minor mistake and then it causes me to make more mistakes. I could honestly cry but I can't. I can't let one mistake knock me and mess up the rest of it.

I think I'm going to have to work more on my confidence.
Reply 5
Original post by techgeekgirl
Thanks for the advice. I don't want to take anything like Rescue Remedy because I know it doesn't help.

I've had another mock test today, and I kept saying to myself in the run up to it that I can do this. And the mock test started off okay, I had one or two minor mistakes, but then after we had started the independent driving bit (following the sat nav), I messed up. It was just one minor little thing to begin with. But then it rolled into another one, and then another one. When I'm not in the test situation I can drive fine. I know I can drive, and I told myself this in my head whilst I was on my mock test, but I still kept making mistakes. It's so disheartening as I want to be able to book my test and then take my test and pass. I know I can drive. But I just make a minor mistake and then it causes me to make more mistakes. I could honestly cry but I can't. I can't let one mistake knock me and mess up the rest of it.

I think I'm going to have to work more on my confidence.

Keep at it, you'll get there eventually. Don't allow yourself to feel rushed into passing the test, just focus on steady improvement and make sure your lessons provide value to you. It's worth reflecting afterwards on how you did and what you could improve next time, be aware of your mistakes and consciously keep them in mind until you overcome those issues. It's only with conscious effort that you can improve your skill.
Original post by Dez
Keep at it, you'll get there eventually. Don't allow yourself to feel rushed into passing the test, just focus on steady improvement and make sure your lessons provide value to you. It's worth reflecting afterwards on how you did and what you could improve next time, be aware of your mistakes and consciously keep them in mind until you overcome those issues. It's only with conscious effort that you can improve your skill.

Thanks

I don't feel rushed by anyone to pass my test, I think it's me who wants to rush things, which I know doesn't help. Most of the mistakes I made today I've never made before, so it's a bit confusing for me and my instructor. I'm going to reflect on what happened and think about what I can do to improve.

Thanks for the advice.
Reply 7
Sounds like you’re really getting there!
You’re making too much out of minor mistakes, I think, and then letting them escalate.
Try this: next time you’re having a Mock Test, imagine it’s someone else taking the Test and you’re sitting behind them giving them calm advice! This makes you ‘step back’. It worked for my daughter. Don’t get discouraged!! Just try a ‘step back’ strategy. Even minor mistakes are allowed in the Test. So try to get a sense of proportion. Try the above. I’m sure your confidence is there - it just needs repairing! Step back, relax, lighten up....
Original post by Tryers
Sounds like you’re really getting there!
You’re making too much out of minor mistakes, I think, and then letting them escalate.
Try this: next time you’re having a Mock Test, imagine it’s someone else taking the Test and you’re sitting behind them giving them calm advice! This makes you ‘step back’. It worked for my daughter. Don’t get discouraged!! Just try a ‘step back’ strategy. Even minor mistakes are allowed in the Test. So try to get a sense of proportion. Try the above. I’m sure your confidence is there - it just needs repairing! Step back, relax, lighten up....

Thanks, I might try that next time 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending