The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

735 students achieved all 9s in 2018 GCSE's so its not impossible (it was predicted max 200 students would achieve all 9s).
Original post by Batchystudies
735 students achieved all 9s in 2018 GCSE's so its not impossible (it was predicted max 200 students would achieve all 9s).

Really? This article from The Telegraph states the following (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2018/06/29/200-star-pupils-will-achieve-clean-sweep-top-grades-new-gcses/):

'The [Cambridge study] predicts that, among those taking at least eight GCSEs, between 200 and 900 will walk away with grade 9s in all subjects.'

It predicts a maximum of 900 students under certain stipulations.
(edited 5 years ago)
Relax, enjoy your childhood whilst you have it. Try to create a plan for your week as this will allow you to focus more in shorter periods of time. I would recommend 14 hours a week on top of school work during year 11 and increasing that to 21 hours a week during the few weeks preceding your actual exams. For now, focus in lessons. Read ahead. But most importantly, enjoy your time with your peers and stay relaxed.N.B: I managed to get all 9s at GCSE.
Original post by Naman.Sharma
N.B: I managed to get all 9s at GCSE.

Nice. What were your subjects?
Maths, further maths, english lit and lang, geography, computing, business, philosophy, german , ict, triple science

What are you taking?
If you need any further help, try looking online for a page called dream-believe-achieve. I run and use that site, which is highly insightful.
Lousihill...I would love to watch videos from a yt channel so please make one! Also, it wouldn't be out of vanity. I'm sure many people would really appreciate it!
That is a highly interesting idea and I have always been keen to express my knowledge/ learnings in a way that can help the most people. Youtube does seem like an ideal platform I just require greater publicity to get my message out. I would love any help anyone could provide in terms of publicising my website ( googling dream-belive-achieve.org.uk). I will post some youtube videos as well in the future so please do look for them under Naman Sharma or by checking my website.
Reply 48
Original post by richard004
I'm in year 10, and I've uninstalled all my games because it is a distraction cause I just can't control it.I realised when I grow up I don't want to regret that I should have worked harder to get better results etc. I've got the motivation to work and study hard, I really want to get all 9s in everything and minimum 8s (except Spanish because **** that) but I just don't know where to start and what to actually do. For example, after school should i revise the things ive just done in that day or should i start revising the things ive done when i just started my gcses? (my school started ours in year9) I just have no idea what to do really

One thing I will say is, give back your phone to your parents right after Christmas. I was lucky to have mine broken in January and it helped me focus on my exams and I saw how it affected people who were "revising" but were on their phones snapping people
Omg yes please
then please do unless you're just taking the piss.
I'm in year 10, and I've uninstalled all my games because it is a distraction cause I just can't control it.I realised when I grow up I don't want to regret that I should have worked harder to get better results etc. I've got the motivation to work and study hard, I really want to get all 9s in everything and minimum 8s (except Spanish because **** that) but I just don't know where to start and what to actually do. For example, after school should i revise the things ive just done in that day or should i start revising the things ive done when i just started my gcses? (my school started ours in year9) I just have no idea what to do really

Yo bro, uninstalling all your games ain't going to do you much. I'm averaging grade 8 and 9 in all my subjects (apart from Spanish too lol) but I play about 2 hours a day minimum. Don't get me wrong, I revise a LOT, ( I've even got a timetable which uncovers exactly how much I've got to do for the next year) but I find that when I play on my Xbox, it's just a getaway from all that.
Original post by 15ea2600
Yo bro, uninstalling all your games ain't going to do you much. I'm averaging grade 8 and 9 in all my subjects (apart from Spanish too lol) but I play about 2 hours a day minimum. Don't get me wrong, I revise a LOT, ( I've even got a timetable which uncovers exactly how much I've got to do for the next year) but I find that when I play on my Xbox, it's just a getaway from all that.

What subjects are you taking?
Original post by 15ea2600

I do the same except I don't play during Exam weeks.
Original post by louishill1
I got all 9s (I'm in shock) and I'm wondering whether to start a study youtube channel, not out of vanity, but to help people simply because I know how tough the new exams are.

What do you do honestly, and your subject cause Jesus that's good
Reply 55
smoke weed and party. that's key to all 9s mate
Original post by SaDe7
statistically only 2 people will get straight 9s each year

At least 3 people in my school (about 330 a year) got straight 9s last year

I actually achieved it - I think it's good to work hard in your subjects from the start and try to understand things as you go along instead of frantically trying to understand everything just before your exams. I think gradually building your skills throughout year 10 and year 11 will help you so much and it's really good that you're motivated to revise. Just reading over your notes for a short amount of time will really help you consolidate your knowledge! Check out my HIVE article about how I got a clean slate of 11 9s in my 2018 exams. Hopefully the revision advice is useful and I hope you feel a bit more inspired after reading it
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/revision/gcse/revision-advice-my-journey-to-11-grade-9s-and-how-to-stay-motivated
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by x.emilye
I actually achieved it - I think it's good to work hard in your subjects from the start and try to understand things as you go along instead of frantically trying to understand everything just before your exams. I think gradually building your skills throughout year 10 and year 11 will help you so much and it's really good that you're motivated to revise. Just reading over your notes for a short amount of time will really help you consolidate your knowledge! Check out my HIVE article about how I got a clean slate of 11 9s in my 2018 exams. Hopefully the revision advice is useful and I hope you feel a bit more inspired after reading it
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/revision/gcse/revision-advice-my-journey-to-11-grade-9s-and-how-to-stay-motivated

do you believe mocks show gcse results? also what did you get in your mocks?
Original post by endergirl123
do you believe mocks show gcse results? also what did you get in your mocks?

Yeah I do actually to some extent - the people who do the best in their mocks generally do the best in the real thing in my opinion but last year, teachers had no clue what the boundaries were going to be like so a lot of them were ridiculously high. My schools boundaries were really high and using their boundaries, I got either 4 or 5 9s, 2 7s (both 1% off an 8) and the rest 8s. But if you compare the percentages I got in my mocks to the real GCSE boundaries, it equates to something like 1 grade 8, one 7 and the rest 9s. The teachers didn't really know what to expect in terms of boundaries so they were quite inaccurate. In My Computing mock, I got 80% but my school set an 8 at 81%. In the real thing, to get a 9 I think it was low 70s.
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest