The Student Room Group

Should Scotland become independent??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xodrama.
It makes a difference. Scotland is a country so it has the right to independence and sovereignty due to Brexit. Do you think Maidenhead has the right to independency?

Scotland is equal to maidenhead in that they are both part of the U.K. The u.k voted to leave as a whole, a referendum in 30 years may be required, but not now. You can’t keep having them until you get the result you want.
Original post by Andrew97
Scotland is equal to maidenhead in that they are both part of the U.K. The u.k voted to leave as a whole, a referendum in 30 years may be required, but not now. You can’t keep having them until you get the result you want.

That wasn't my question though was it. Regardless if it is part of the UK or not. Maidenhead is part of England, and Scotland isn't. So they are entitled to sovereignty due to Brexit, and thus allowed to leave the UK. Whereas Maidenhead are not.
(edited 5 years ago)
That wasn't my question though was it. Regardless if it is part of the UK or not. Maidenhead is part of England, and Scotland isn't. So they are entitled to sovereignty due to Brexit, and thus allowed to leave the UK. Whereas Maidenhead are not.

Scotland is part of the U.K. though, which voted to leave.

I’m not arguing against a referendum in the future. Just not now
Scotland is part of the U.K. though, which voted to leave.

I’m not arguing against a referendum in the future. Just not now

Are you being serious? I just went over this. A vast majority of Scots voted to stay. And the Scots have the right to sovereignty, which gives them the right to stay in the EU if they decides to leave the UK. Maidenhead doesn't because it is part of England. So it doesn't.

How can I make this any clearer for you?
Are you being serious? I just went over this. A vast majority of Scots voted to stay. And the Scots have the right to sovereignty, which gives them the right to stay in the EU if they decides to leave the UK. Maidenhead doesn't because it is part of England. So it doesn't.

If it left the U.K, Scotland would not automatically be part of the EU, Spain have made that clear in the past.

Scotland is an area of the U.K. Like Maidenhead, like London etc. They are all bound by the same referendum rules.
Reply 25
Original post by independentx
I don't want to leave the EU, but would happily leave the UK at the moment the way things are going (I'm an SNP supporter). And I'm 16 :smile:

Why? They are not pro-Scottish, and it's laughable that they are refered to as 'nationalists'. They are just another bunch of pro-multiculti, neo-liberal, globalists with anti-English overtones.
Reply 26
Disclaimer: I'm pro-EU and would rather that the whole UK remained in the EU but also in favour of Scotland remaining in the Union.

Just to ask Independence supporters that are in support of an independent Scotland so we can rejoin the EU - I assume you hold this position largely because you recognise the huge opportunities in terms of trade and having access to a large market as well as freedom of movement as a member of the EU.

Therefore, do you not recognise that we'd be cut off from a market 4x larger than the EU and risk not having free movement to the rest of the UK if we became independent?
If it left the U.K, Scotland would not automatically be part of the EU, Spain have made that clear in the past.

Scotland is an area of the U.K. Like Maidenhead, like London etc. They are all bound by the same referendum rules.

Yes. I know if Scotland leaves the UK it will be placed on a waiting list. Because there is no automatic right to membership.

But are you purposely being obtuse or are you just slow?

I went through this twice now. I am not going through it again. Maidenhead and London are in England learn the difference ffs. Like talking to a parrot.
(edited 5 years ago)
Independence referendum was a decision to stay in the UK and abide by the decisions of Parliament vs to go at it alone. Scotland voted to remain in the UK and thus, any decision (including Brexit) should be accepted. FYI Scotland most likely wouldn't have gotten into the EU alone, and still relies on UK funding to survive.

Scotland have no right to remain in the EU, and wouldn't be let back in. And the majority of Scots also voted to maintain Parliamentary sovereignty over Scotland, so we leave as a Union.

Scotland and maidenhead are not equal in that they are both part of the UK. That's like saying the Eurotunnel is equal to a toy train in which they are both trains of some description that, at least sometimes, are in the UK.
Original post by Nadia19962
I’m Scottish but living in England, but I do believe that Scotland will be better off as an independent country than be part of the UK and that they can be part of the EU. Even though Scotland is part of the U.K., the Scottish people and the country are never treated as they part of the UK. I know that that they have the SNP and have their own NHS and also their own education system, but Scotland were and are never treated as fair as Wales, Northern Ireland and obviously England. They’re always mistreated and are often left out

Everything you've said here is utter crap.

Scotland will not be better off as independent, they will not be accepted into the EU, Scotland has the most devolved powers of all countries and are treated better than Wales, England (EVEL) and Northern Ireland.

You clearly have been listening to too much Sturgeon propaganda
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by That'sGreat
Scotland and maidenhead are not equal in that they are both part of the UK. That's like saying the Eurotunnel is equal to a toy train in which they are both trains of some description that, at least sometimes, are in the UK.

That was not what I was saying.

They are subject to the same rules under a referendum
Scotland have no right to remain in the EU, and wouldn't be let back in. And the majority of Scots also voted to maintain Parliamentary sovereignty over Scotland, so we leave as a Union.

I know they will be placed on a waiting list and go through a rigorous system. I addressed this point a few posts above.

You don't think it's ridiculous that you have Countries begging to enter the European Union, yet here we are kicking and screaming to leave?

A majority of people in Scotland also voted to stay in the UK not long ago, and despite the fuss the SNP like to make, it's not clear a second independence referendum would go any differently to 2014 - just look at how the SNP performed in the 2017 election.
Original post by jameswhughes
A majority of people in Scotland also voted to stay in the UK not long ago, and despite the fuss the SNP like to make, it's not clear a second independence referendum would go any differently to 2014 - just look at how the SNP performed in the 2017 election.

I was being hypothetical. I said "if". I never said it was a certainty that they will.
Yes and take London with you
I know they will be placed on a waiting list and go through a rigorous system. I addressed this point a few posts above.

You don't think it's ridiculous that you have Countries begging to enter the European Union, yet here we are kicking and screaming to leave?

I don't think you've grasped it. They will not be let into the EU. They can go through as many waiting lists and rigorous systems as they want, Scotland would not be allowed in.

And that point is defunct. Theres a reason populist movements are rising up literally everywhere over Europe, all of them calling for the dismantling of the EU. The EU, and in turn the euro, benefits Germany above all, and the countries begging to enter have significantly smaller economies than us, theres an incentive for them to join.
That was not what I was saying.

They are subject to the same rules under a referendum

Yes but it was a very poor comparison, a comparison which was pretty pointless as well. Just state your facts, your argument is correct, the way you're going about it is not.
I don't think you've grasped it. They will not be let into the EU. They can go through as many waiting lists and rigorous systems as they want, Scotland would not be allowed in.

And that point is defunct. Theres a reason populist movements are rising up literally everywhere over Europe, all of them calling for the dismantling of the EU. The EU, and in turn the euro, benefits Germany above all, and the countries begging to enter have significantly smaller economies than us, theres an incentive for them to join.

I never said they will be let in, did I? You genius. I said they will be put on a waiting list and and go through a rigorous system. Which they will. I don't think you've grasped it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending