The Student Room Group

Zero hour contracts

Wasn't sure where to ask this question but I work in a bar on a zero hour contract while at uni and the manager said I'm contracted to work Christmas day, boxing day, New year's Eve and New year's Day. I'm just curious if in a zero hour contract you can put it in my contract that I have no choice but to work those days, because that doesn't seem right, but I can't find any info online. Would she actually be able to do that or is she lying to make me work?
Of course she can't force you to do it but she can also never give you any more shifts if you refuse. So you can refuse but you'll probably get fired.
Zero hour contract is exactly what it says on the tin. You can CHOOSE to work those shifts and not be forced to . Ask the manager to explain why you are expected to work these hours when they are not truly contracted hours. The only down side is that she may not give you the shifts you want or need in the future. Good luck . :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by doodle_333
Of course she can't force you to do it but she can also never give you any more shifts if you refuse. So you can refuse but you'll probably get fired.

Wrong! This isn’t America where you can be fired in the spot. It’s very difficult to actually get fired in this country. Managers will just not give you shifts or make your life difficult until you leave.
Original post by Woksin
Wrong! This isn’t America where you can be fired in the spot. It’s very difficult to actually get fired in this country. Managers will just not give you shifts or make your life difficult until you leave.

Actually you can be fired at any point in your first 2 years and you have no rights to contest it.

OP is on a 0 hours contract so there's not even a need to fire here they can just stop giving her shifts which is essentially the same thing.
Reply 5
Original post by doodle_333
Actually you can be fired at any point in your first 2 years and you have no rights to contest it.

OP is on a 0 hours contract so there's not even a need to fire here they can just stop giving her shifts which is essentially the same thing.

Of course you can. The two years is for people who are trying to fight their case for unfair dismissal, i.e. fired for one reason, when you highly suspect it’s for another. You can’t be fired for doing what it says in your contract. Zero hours, you can deny hours. Most employers will try to exploit you, especially smaller ones. Know your rights because they’re there to protect you.
Original post by Woksin
Of course you can. The two years is for people who are trying to fight their case for unfair dismissal, i.e. fired for one reason, when you highly suspect it’s for another. You can’t be fired for doing what it says in your contract. Zero hours, you can deny hours. Most employers will try to exploit you, especially smaller ones. Know your rights because they’re there to protect you.

The 2 years means with under 2 years service you cannot contest your firing unless it's for a protected reason eg discrimination, whistleblowing etc. So OP can be fired in practice because they can't contest it. If you're gonna know your rights you should work out what they actually are. This info is easily available from the gov website and ACAS. I have been fired for refusing overtime and non contracted hours and spoke to ACAS and there is nothing you can do about it in practice.

As I said before this is totally irrelevant for op anyway since as a 0 hours worker all they have to do is cut her hours and she is effectively fired without it actually happening.
Original post by Anonymous
Wasn't sure where to ask this question but I work in a bar on a zero hour contract while at uni and the manager said I'm contracted to work Christmas day, boxing day, New year's Eve and New year's Day. I'm just curious if in a zero hour contract you can put it in my contract that I have no choice but to work those days, because that doesn't seem right, but I can't find any info online. Would she actually be able to do that or is she lying to make me work?

If you are on a zero hours contract- then you arent contracted to work any days.
They cant force you to work those.
Some restaurant zero hour contracts are zero hour but an obligation to work peak shifts. You might want to read the small print to check if this is the same for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending