The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Bournemouth Uni 2019 applicants

Hi everyone :wavey:

We've created this thread so that you can ask any questions you have about Bournemouth University, including questions about the application process, accommodation, our facilities, student life - basically anything you'd like to know more about if you're thinking of joining us in September 2019!

Here are a few links to get you started:

Undergraduate courses
Postgraduate courses
Open Days
Accommodation
Undergraduate scholarships
Postgraduate scholarships
International students
Hear from undergraduate students
Hear from postgraduate students

If you can't find the answers to your questions on those pages, pop them in this thread and we'll do our best to answer them.

All the best

BU

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello! I'm hoping to start here in September 2019, but UCAS says that the start date is the 1st while for most other universities it is the 16th or later? Is this right?
Thank you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Original post by RebG
Hello! I'm hoping to start here in September 2019, but UCAS says that the start date is the 1st while for most other universities it is the 16th or later? Is this right?
Thank you.

Hi RebG,

Thanks for reaching out. You're absolutely right. UCAS often lists the 1st as a standard date.
I just checked for you and the start of the 2019 - 2020 academic year is the 23rd of September. Which course are you interested in?

Have a look here for the under- and postgraduate course dates:

Undergraduate Dates
Postgraduate Dates

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Julius
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi,
Not long ago I received an unconditional offer for Physiotherapy. I accepted it as Bournemouth was my top choice anyway, but I’m wondering about accommodation.
I was thinking about Cranbourne, but Dorchester house seems popular as well. I’m after quite a lively place for first year, but I need it to be close to Lansdowne campus because my course is quite intensive. Any recommendations?
Do you have any additional support for type one diabetics
Original post by Georgia576896
Hi,
Not long ago I received an unconditional offer for Physiotherapy. I accepted it as Bournemouth was my top choice anyway, but I’m wondering about accommodation.
I was thinking about Cranbourne, but Dorchester house seems popular as well. I’m after quite a lively place for first year, but I need it to be close to Lansdowne campus because my course is quite intensive. Any recommendations?

Congratulations on your offer! Most of the halls, with the exception of Corfe House are all at the Lansdowne and have great ResLife teams to keep you engaged in lots of activities! They are all slightly different, but location wise they are all within a 5 minute walk of one another. Have a look at this link: https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/why-bu/accommodation and check out each halls and the ResLife page. They have some 360 views of the accommodation. Have you had a chance to see any during open days?

Original post by Kayla1709
Do you have any additional support for type one diabetics

Hi, there's loads of support for students at BU! To be able to fully answer your enquiries as to how we can support you could you email [email protected] I've also provided a more general link here: https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/why-bu/student-wellbeing

Wishing you both the best of luck!

Vicki
Reply 6
Hi,

I received a conditional offer for Computer Animation Art and Design yesterday, only two days after UCAS sent my application in. I was very surprised as I did not receive a portfolio request prior to this, unlike my other choices.

I've heard that the animation course at Bournemouth is extremely popular, therefore competitive, which means that the portfolio probably plays a major role in the selection process. Bournemouth made me an offer without seeing it at all? Considering how unbelievably fast the offer was made I'm starting to get a little worried about this being a mistake. Is this normal?
Original post by Vadnyl
Hi,

I received a conditional offer for Computer Animation Art and Design yesterday, only two days after UCAS sent my application in. I was very surprised as I did not receive a portfolio request prior to this, unlike my other choices.

I've heard that the animation course at Bournemouth is extremely popular, therefore competitive, which means that the portfolio probably plays a major role in the selection process. Bournemouth made me an offer without seeing it at all? Considering how unbelievably fast the offer was made I'm starting to get a little worried about this being a mistake. Is this normal?

Hi there,

I'm a current animation student and have been involved in the interview process for the last 2 years, and can say I've never heard of anyone bypassing interview & portfolio reviews before. It does sound like a mistake to me, but perhaps you could take it as a compliment of how fantastic you are? :blush:

I would recommend getting in touch with the Future Students team. You can get in touch:
- By email [email protected]
- By phone +44 (0)1202 961916
- Live chat head to the website and click on the ‘live chat’ icon

You're correct about the competitiveness of the course, and a portfolio is required as part of the interview for animation courses. Hopefully they'll be able to find out what happened.

- Laura
Hello,

Let me introduce a little bit about myself. I am a student from Bulgaria and currently, I am a senior (12th grade) which means I will graduate very soon and will have to study in a given university. By the way, I am a student at the National School of Fine Arts which is a very outstanding school (probably one of the best schools in Europe). I have been studying various arts - graphic; illustration; computer graphic; life-still drawing; painting; sculpture; and we have workshops twice a year. My grades are top in all subjects.

However, I have always wanted to study animation since this has been always my dream. So, I decided to send my applications to the following universities - Bournemouth University, Arts Bournemouth University, Middlesex University, University of Edinburgh, and Solent University (Southampton).

Also, I got conditional offers from Solent University (Southampton) (Animation) and Bournemouth University (Computer Animation Art and Design). They did not require to send them a portfolio which I find strange. But at the same time, I do understand since I attached around 30 achievements (contests, exhibitions, and so on) plus a recommendation letter from the oldest teacher who recommended me to be enroled to the university because I am one of the best art students that she has ever seen.

Anyway, my first choice is Bournemouth University because I know that it is the best place to study animation.

So, what do you think? Share something

P.S. My portfolio is ready ( I did everything that it is required so I can be safe if I am asked to send a portfolio later)
(edited 5 years ago)
Please see the previous post.

Maybe the selection process has changed, but as far as I am aware this is a mistake. Best to check with the admissions/ Future Students team.

- Laura
I was just wondering because they sent me an offer in UCAS 2 days ago and today I received all supporting materials plus an official letter from BU which is signed and they gave me an ID number. I do not think this could be a mistake since I have always been an outstanding student with lots of achievements and a strong letter of recommendation. But I really am hoping this is not a mistake :smile:)
All the best!
Also, I am hard of hearing and they sent me all materials about my disability which I strongly do believe that this is not a mistake :smile:)
Reply 12
Original post by BU Students
I've never heard of anyone bypassing interview & portfolio reviews before. It does sound like a mistake to me

Ok that's a bit concerning... I suspected so but it would be pretty disappointing if they revoke the offer.

I would recommend getting in touch with the Future Students team.

Will do. Thanks for your help!
Original post by BogomilLyubikov
I was just wondering because they sent me an offer in UCAS 2 days ago and today I received all supporting materials plus an official letter from BU which is signed and they gave me an ID number. I do not think this could be a mistake since I have always been an outstanding student with lots of achievements and a strong letter of recommendation. But I really am hoping this is not a mistake :smile:)
All the best!

Perhaps the process has changed then. Congratulations on your place by the way! I shall try to find out what's going on when the new semester starts and feedback to you all here.

- Laura
Perhaps the process has changed then. Congratulations on your place by the way! I shall try to find out what's going on when the new semester starts and feedback to you all here.

- Laura

Well, I checked on BU website and it is written that from this November, they are not going to ask everyone to submit a portfolio and invite them over for an interview.
Original post by Vadnyl
Hi,

Hey, the same thing has happened to me!? I have recieved an unconditional offer for that exact course without needing to send a portfolio or anything, it said due to "academic excellence"?? I didnt consider my predicted grades to be that great so i was very suspicious but i stopped thinking about it till i saw this. i really hope its not a mistake.
Reply 16
I’ve got a conditional offer and I’m pleased, anyone applying for business studies?
not that I claim to know anything, I am international student to be...BUT I thought a "conditional" was still needing to go through the interview/ portfolio process and get good final grades??

are you saying that "conditional" bypasses that portfolio/interview and just needs final grades to turn into an "UNconditional" ??

OH and congrats on that conditional!! wooooow
(edited 5 years ago)
@sparkylab @teenagemess @BogomilLyubikov @Vadnyl

Hi there, sorry for the confusion. Having reviewed the website, it looks like the selection process has changed from my time!
It now works that if you do not initially meet the entry requirements, so if your predicted grades are too low perhaps, they will then ask you to submit a portfolio and maybe have an online interview to discuss it. If they like the portfolio and you seem passionate, they will then offer you a place.
If you have received an unconditional offer it must mean that your grades are already good enough to get you in - congratulations!

https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/ba-hons-computer-animation-technical-arts
If you go here and open the expandable sections by "My Application" it explains a bit about it. It reads the same for BA CAAD and BA Visual Effects.

Hope this clears things up.

- Laura
I did another thread but I think this is the best thread to do it in so reposted here. Please delete if not supposed to!

Ok, I have received an unconditional offer at BU and am looking at the accommodation but am unsure which one to choose.

What I am after:
-Modern/Refurbished (new/clean looking)
-Single Bed (don't need to waste money with double)
-Half party/half work (don't want music playing 24/7)
-Best value

What one would you all recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Latest

Trending

Trending