The Student Room Group

Finding a job with a headscarf as a social worker

Hi guys, I am a Turkish girl living in Germany. I would love to do my masters in social work in Birmingham and live there or in Manchester. So can I find a job if I am wearing a headscarf? And I would like to work part time during my masters and I work at H&m here in Germany so I know that they are hiring girls with hijab. But what about other retail shops except H&m?

I hope you can help me with my questions. I always thought that finding a job in England would be easier than here in Germany but as I read experiences I am gobsmacked. However, I am still in love with England and I would love to migrate there.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiya , i'm Muslim too from England :smile: so many of my friends have jobs and they were the hijab and they do hire people who wear hijabs. There's nothing to worry about you , hopefully you'll find a job here .
Original post by Mele9494
Hi guys, I am a Turkish girl living in Germany. I would love to do my masters in social work in Birmingham and live there or in Manchester. So can I find a job if I am wearing a headscarf? And I would like to work part time during my masters and I work at H&m here in Germany so I know that they are hiring girls with hijab. But what about other retail shops except H&m?

I hope you can help me with my questions. I always thought that finding a job in England would be easier than here in Germany but as I read experiences I am gobsmacked. However, I am still in love with England and I would love to migrate there.

I’m a hijabi myself especially where there is diversity the most: Manchester,Birmingham, London you do not feel the odd one out no one discriminated you there are a lot of hijabis. They are accepted into the society accept some people who want to make “uk great again”
Reply 3
Original post by Nxfisax
Hiya , i'm Muslim too from England :smile: so many of my friends have jobs and they were the hijab and they do hire people who wear hijabs. There's nothing to worry about you , hopefully you'll find a job here .

Thanks for the reply😊 Hopefully I will get a job because I am really in love with England. I‘ve been there two times and every time I love this island more and more😄
Reply 4
Original post by Deryabaglan
I’m a hijabi myself especially where there is diversity the most: Manchester,Birmingham, London you do not feel the odd one out no one discriminated you there are a lot of hijabis. They are accepted into the society accept some people who want to make “uk great again”

I think Manchester and Birminghan are lovely cities and I could imagine living there. Even though I also love London I know I could not live there because of the high rent costs. However, London is the perfect example where all races and religions and so on are quite equal. But I don‘t know if that‘s 100% like that there are always people discriminating but I think it does not happen as often as in cities where it is not multicultural.
Reply 5

I think Manchester and Birminghan are lovely cities and I could imagine living there. Even though I also love London I know I could not live there because of the high rent costs. However, London is the perfect example where all races and religions and so on are quite equal. But I don‘t know if that‘s 100% like that there are always people discriminating but I think it does not happen as often as in cities where it is not multicultural.
Yeah there’s many don’t worry too much :smile:

Look at this way if a city has only a minority of hijabis they are seen as outcasts that’s why they are discriminated they are not taught but I live in London and if someone comes and tries to discriminate me the amount of people which would come and support me would be a lot and it wouldn’t only be Muslim. Me myself as a hijabi I have shukur not gone through that. As a matter of fact I do know that Birmingham is really diverse aswell
Reply 8
Look at this way if a city has only a minority of hijabis they are seen as outcasts that’s why they are discriminated they are not taught but I live in London and if someone comes and tries to discriminate me the amount of people which would come and support me would be a lot and it wouldn’t only be Muslim. Me myself as a hijabi I have shukur not gone through that. As a matter of fact I do know that Birmingham is really diverse aswell

Well another thing is also if there are lots of Muslim people they are getting used to it aswell. But if the majority is British it might be harder to get a job.
Wearing a hijab is not an issue in the UK. For social work it may even be an advantage as some minority groups may feel you better understand their needs as most social workers are white.

I will say it is harder to find work in the UK than in Germany. That won't be affected by your culture or religion... it's just hard for everyone.
Reply 10
Original post by doodle_333
Wearing a hijab is not an issue in the UK. For social work it may even be an advantage as some minority groups may feel you better understand their needs as most social workers are white.

I will say it is harder to find work in the UK than in Germany. That won't be affected by your culture or religion... it's just hard for everyone.

Well then it might be hard to find a job for me if most of the social workers are white🙄

Is it really hard to get a job there? I didn’t know that and I was so happy that I had a chance to work there because I have the German citizenship. Okay I don‘t know how it will be in the future because of Brexit but in the past we could work there if we could find a job. But now we will also need a visa I think🙃
Well another thing is also if there are lots of Muslim people they are getting used to it aswell. But if the majority is British it might be harder to get a job.

Depends on the area for me I live in north London and there aren’t many British people. There is alottt of Turks Pakistanis Bengalis Africans Caribbean. I think you shouldn’t put yourself into a lot of stress it is really diverse. Stop overthinking and the best would happen insallah
Well then it might be hard to find a job for me if most of the social workers are white🙄

Is it really hard to get a job there? I didn’t know that and I was so happy that I had a chance to work there because I have the German citizenship. Okay I don‘t know how it will be in the future because of Brexit but in the past we could work there if we could find a job. But now we will also need a visa I think🙃

It’s hard because the uk is over populated and it is soo small for that much population. Everyone is trying to find jobs. Everyone is now educated it is harder in the fact that there are a lot of competition
Reply 13
Depends on the area for me I live in north London and there aren’t many British people. There is alottt of Turks Pakistanis Bengalis Africans Caribbean. I think you shouldn’t put yourself into a lot of stress it is really diverse. Stop overthinking and the best would happen insallah

Thank you so much! First of all I have to be better in English so before stressing about the headscarf I have to be better in English😂
Reply 14
It’s hard because the uk is over populated and it is soo small for that much population. Everyone is trying to find jobs. Everyone is now educated it is harder in the fact that there are a lot of competition

I know it because even I don‘t live in Turkey I know that a lot of people are studying but even then they don‘t get a job because almost everyone is educated. So it might be the same in England aswell. So one has to stick out from the majority but it is hard to do so.
I know it because even I don‘t live in Turkey I know that a lot of people are studying but even then they don‘t get a job because almost everyone is educated. So it might be the same in England aswell. So one has to stick out from the majority but it is hard to do so.

Yh that’s why universities are trying to get people with disadvantaged backgrounds and has ethnic backgrounds rather than white British rich person and it is starting everywhere. Hahha your English is quite well. I guess I keep telling people to not stress but I stress myself. It ain’t easy as it is said. Ughh this life is draining me.

But in turkey if I go I know for sure as I have my English been brought up here they would quickly get you a job if no job you would be a interpreter

Nope don't worry. These types of professions are dominated by white women but they want diversity... so if you're a good candidate you may even have an advantage!

Tbh I've never struggled to find work. Any time I've job searched I've found something within maybe a month. But I know the market here is harder than in Germany.
Not an issue at all and hopefully you get something sorted jobwise.

A) I really don't think your ethnicity will affect your likelihood of finding a job - social workers' clients will be of all ethnicities and religions, so it's important that social workers are also made up of a diverse group of people in order to reflect that.

B) If the Conservatives' current plans are put in place then having German citizenship will no longer give you the right to live and work in the UK - you will be subject to the same restrictions as people from outside the EU.

The Conservatives are planning on implementing a £30,000 minimum income threshold on skilled workers seeking to work in the UK. That could be an issue for you - I'm not an expert but I doubt entry level jobs in social work pay that much.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending