The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MrMusician95
And, in my opinion, that's your mistake. Your family is trying to control your life and how you live. They want you to marry someone exactly to their liking. There comes a time when you have to put your foot down and as much as you love your family understand that it's your life. If you meet a great guy and say no because of your family you will regret it forever.

Blood is thicker than water?

I dunno, I just feel like I have an obligation. I don’t wanna lose my family,
Reply 21
Original post by waxdoll19
Erm how are your family backwards for thinking like that? Do you seriously think white people don't think the same? How many white boys do you see with Pakistani/Muslim wives? Or vice-versa? Have you been to a wedding between a Pakistani/Muslim person and a non-Muslim? Thought not.

And why do you think that Princess Diana died a mysterious death, unexplained until this day, at a time when she was preparing to marry a Muslim?

Calling your family backwards for adopting a natural mindset is actually very narrow-minded on your part :colonhash:

Many white guys would love to date Pakistani girls, I myself have been approached and asked out by many white guys. But I had to tell them due to my family it would be difficult to date and if we did, it’d have to be in secret, and I didn’t want to put them through that.

Lots of of Pakistani and white guys date... but in secret !!

But I agree there’s racist people in every race.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Shoobidoo
Blood is thicker than water?

I dunno, I just feel like I have an obligation. I don’t wanna lose my family,

If your family are worth keeping they'll understand if you choose not to date a Pakistani. My girlfriend is form a very traditional family who don't believe in living together before marriage etc and she's said when she's graduate we're living together .And if her parents accept it then they'll lose their daughter.
It's better to complete your studies, graduate. Find a stable job and support your family and eventually they will accept your choice. I feel that having a stable income will have a positive impression on especially brown parents that your're more responsible and any decisions made by you are acceptable. I feel that asian parents think that marying outside the family will go against their customs as it will make them impure, *Have really heard that from people back in pakistan* I haven't been to pak in ages and don't wanna be there :frown:. People talks over there really sickens me :puke:
Racism is very common across South Asia, it’s not restricted to one little town in Pakistan. The bigger issue is religion. In Islam a Muslim woman should only marry a Muslim man. If you’re Muslim you’ll have to accept that. Race is irrelevant.
Original post by Mr. Petrol Head
It's better to complete your studies, graduate. Find a stable job and support your family and eventually they will accept your choice. I feel that having a stable income will have a positive impression on especially brown parents that your're more responsible and any decisions made by you are acceptable. I feel that asian parents think that marying outside the family will go against their customs as it will make them impure, *Have really heard that from people back in pakistan* I haven't been to pak in ages and don't wanna be there :frown:. People talks over there really sickens me :puke:

Original post by akbar0123
Racism is very common across South Asia, it’s not restricted to one little town in Pakistan. The bigger issue is religion. In Islam a Muslim woman should only marry a Muslim man. If you’re Muslim you’ll have to accept that. Race is irrelevant.

You do realise here in Europe we have White Muslims, some are even blond, (at least four are playing for Arsenal this season), how the hell to do you reconcile such bigotry with your professed religion Islam?

You are coming across as racist.
Original post by Befanous
You do realise here in Europe we have White Muslims, some are even blond, (at least four are playing for Arsenal this season), how the hell to do you reconcile such bigotry with your professed religion Islam?

You are coming across as racist.

Literally have no idea what you’re on about. Pakistani Mirpuris are usually Muslim. This has nothing to do with white Muslims
I'm from a Mirpuri background and our families are pretty backwards in that sense. It's culture, not Islam that makes them behave this way.
Reply 28
I think a lot of Pakistani, and Muslim parents would be opposed to the dating a white christian guy idea, and not just Mirpuris. In fact plenty of Pakistani Muslim girls themselves wouldn't date a white christain guy never mind the parents approving.

However, where mirpuris differ is they extend this to other ethnicties of Muslims, and also other castes, and backgrounds within Pakistan. For example they will have a problem with other castes outside the family, and also people from other areas of Pakistan such as the Panjab province or Karachi. This is due to the fact that the area north of Mirpur where a lot of Azad Kashmiris migrated from is in the western himalayas. It's never been connected to any major cities, and hasn't had the same mix of cultures, and ethnicties which you find in large Pakistani cities such as Lahore, and Karachi.

Therefore people have sort of lived in their comfort zone in a bubble among their own villagers, and that attitude seems to have continued within the UK especially in areas with large Mirpuri settlements. However, things are changing these days there are certainly more Mirpuris willing to marry out both in the UK, and in Pakistan as compared to twenty years back.
Yeah, this is rare. Pakistani mirpuri are not racist. It's just your parents. Shame shame!!
Original post by Shoobidoo
So we were discussing marriage last night. My brother was like you could marry anyone just make sure he’s a decent nice guy. Then my dad butted in “don’t say that, white guys could be nice guys.. we don’t want that”

My brother agreed that if I find someone that’s not Pakistani then he’d lose respect for me. And mum was like you’d be cut off- even if he was nice and Muslim.

I was shocked. Both my parents were born and raised in a conservative village in Pakistan near Mirpur, so I wasn’t surprised with they old fashioned views. However, my brother was raised and born in England. He said I’m not being racist, it’s just that you have to pass on your genes, values and roots down to your kids. If you marry outside, our future generations will forget they roots and lose in touch with they heritage soon they’ll start intermixing and they’ll be nothing left of our genes etc.

They are so backwards and narrow minnded that it’s depressing sometimes 😞 don’t know why they moved here in the first place.

I really hope that this is rare amongst Pakistani Mirpuris, and it’s only my family??
Some don't even consider themselves to be Pakistani at all and are insistent that they are Kashmiri. They are ultimately in an Identity Crisis. Hinduism as a Faith has been changed by the earlier generations, however I can safely guarantee that Cultural Hinduism reigns supreme. An example of this would be a certain relative didn't come to our Aunts funeral so we won't go to any of theirs and attitudes like this which are very prevalent . Islam teaches us to attend even the Funerals of our Enemies. However in the Hindu Culture this is pretty common. If we were to look at the institute of Marriage from a purely Islamic perspective you will note that marrying out of your family and even from another race is actually encouraged. For example the Prophet S.A.W. Recommended to marry from people who live far from you as to promote Islam and friendship with other communities. For any sunnah to have credibility its what the Prophet S. A.W. did more often than one where he did it once. Nearly all of Rasoolullah S.A.W. Daughters Were married out of the Family with one Exception being Fatima R. A. The prophets own women included An Egyptian Maria Kibthiya R. A. as well as a wife from the Children of Israel namely Saffiyah R.A. The marriage of his daughter that he conducted within the Family was ordained by God himself to ensure that the Final Imam who will be from his Family has to be from his lineage Imam Mehdi A.S. Even his S.A.W. Grandchildren married from amongst the Persians and Romans.
Thats so sad as Muslims there is no colour or creed who u marry as long as they believe in Islam , this is more about culture then anything else, we need to gt rid of following culture

Latest

Trending

Trending