The Student Room Group

Neck tattoo

Hello, I am currently in the process of joining the RAF. I have a two inch long feather behind my ear. Which is visible with my hair up. I can’t remember if I told my recruiter I had the tattoo. I’m positive I did. There is make up I can use in which to cover this tattoo. You can only see the tattoo if you are stood behind me. Will this effect my joining processs? Even if I have make up covering it whilst in uniform. Thanks
Original post by Jakethom88
Hello, I am currently in the process of joining the RAF. I have a two inch long feather behind my ear. Which is visible with my hair up. I can’t remember if I told my recruiter I had the tattoo. I’m positive I did. There is make up I can use in which to cover this tattoo. You can only see the tattoo if you are stood behind me. Will this effect my joining processs? Even if I have make up covering it whilst in uniform. Thanks

Hi

Unfortunately with current policy it will preclude entry into service. You will have filled out a tattoo proforma when you applied, which you should have put it on?

If it can be seen when you're wearing a long-sleeved shirt - above the collar or below the wrists - then it will preclude entry.

Policy can change though, but as it stands it will stop your application.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 2
Hello. Thank you!
I am positive I told my recruiter that I have the tattoo. The tattoo can be covered by my hair as it is behind my ear. I can also get make up which covers it as extra precaution. If not I suppose there is always laser treatment! (Original post by RAF_Adam)Hi

Unfortunately with current policy it will preclude entry into service. You will have filled out a tattoo proforma when you applied, which you should have put it on?

If it can be seen when you're wearing a long-sleeved shirt - above the collar or below the wrists - then it will preclude entry.

Policy can change though, but as it stands it will stop your application.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 3
Also is make up cover up accepted? Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Jakethom88
Also is make up cover up accepted? Thanks

If your tattoo is visible above the collar or below the cuffs of a long-sleeved shirt, you can't use make-up to cover it.

When the Armed Forces are in their uniforms for parade/ceremonial duties they need to be seen as smart and professional, not with tattoos or cover-up make-up visible on heir hands and the neck upwards. That's the driver for the current policy.
It can take between 6-8 weeks to get a tattoo removed, so it really depends where into the application process you are if you think you can get it removed before they spot it and reject your application. Personally, I'd get it removed as soon as possible either way, and you can reapply if they spot it prior to it being fully removed.
Reply 6
Original post by SmutsReport
It can take between 6-8 weeks to get a tattoo removed, so it really depends where into the application process you are if you think you can get it removed before they spot it and reject your application. Personally, I'd get it removed as soon as possible either way, and you can reapply if they spot it prior to it being fully removed.

If you read Adam's response, it's not a case of a tattoo being 'spotted' by recruitment staff.

Applicants fill out a document that has an outline of a body and they have to show the position of any tattoos and provide a description of them. This is so staff can not only check for anything 'above the collar, below the cuffs', but also for any tattoos that could be considered offensive, which is also a bar to entry.
Original post by Surnia
If you read Adam's response, it's not a case of a tattoo being 'spotted' by recruitment staff.

Applicants fill out a document that has an outline of a body and they have to show the position of any tattoos and provide a description of them. This is so staff can not only check for anything 'above the collar, below the cuffs', but also for any tattoos that could be considered offensive, which is also a bar to entry.

I'm aware, but if you read Jake's response it would appear he hasn't filled out such a document yet and certainly hasn't had a proper conversation about the tattoo/tattoos in general in the armed forces. So while you are correct, it isn't a case of it being 'spotted', if he gets rid of it before he goes back for say the AST and then they ask and he no longer has a tattoo then I don't see the problem.
Reply 8
Original post by SmutsReport
I'm aware, but if you read Jake's response it would appear he hasn't filled out such a document yet and certainly hasn't had a proper conversation about the tattoo/tattoos in general in the armed forces. So while you are correct, it isn't a case of it being 'spotted', if he gets rid of it before he goes back for say the AST and then they ask and he no longer has a tattoo then I don't see the problem.

Completing and submitting the tattoo proforma is done before AST, so if Jake is 'currently' joining, there is a problem. A conversation with recruiters doesn't matters; some people ask, some don't, Jake couldn't remember. Tattoo policy is on the RAF recruitment website.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest